Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

what makes you think its not selling? just curious.
My impression is based on "top sellers" lists of online retailers I bothered to check (amazon, ebgames/gamestop,familyvideo etc.).

And they are fairly good representative of software sales, unlike hardware.

you have to consider that the PS3's userbase is still relatively small, especially in N/A. thats why when online retailers have their top X most sold games, they are usually 360 titles (in NA and Europe). i do agree that judging from online retailers, it does seem like even third-party PS3 titles are getting more love than Drake (like AC and CoD4 for example). but i don't think those rankings on online retailers tell the whole story.

AC has received a very, very extensive marketing campaign, and CoD4 is also very well known based on CoD2. Uncharted is a new franchise, and hasn't received a fraction of the marketing. So among the average public it's not going to be very well known. But both Ratchet and Uncharted have demos on PSN that I'm sure are helping. They just aren't going to be day one purchases as much as other games. But I'm betting they'll have legs.

Here in the UK Sony are pushing both Assassin's Creed and Ratchet & Clank quite a lot on several Sky TV channels. By Sony I mean you get an Assassin's Creed trailer and then the PlayStation logo, no mention that it's out for the 360. Call of Duty 4 is also getting quite a bit of screen time but IIRC that's an Activision advert and therefore multi-platform. Nothing yet for Uncharted but then it's not out for another two weeks - although I have mine!

On this note I would be curious to know how PS3 being region-free for games is affecting profits internationally, e.g. SCEA are clearly clocking up sales from me where SCEE are losing sales from me. If the trend of importing from the US or Asia becomes more widespread, will this affect Sony's ability to determine specific demographics on a region-by-region basis? For those hooked up to PSN I assume Sony can/could measure what games people are playing, for how long, at what times etc.

DS

AC has received a very, very extensive marketing campaign, and CoD4 is also very well known based on CoD2. Uncharted is a new franchise, and hasn't received a fraction of the marketing. So among the average public it's not going to be very well known. But both Ratchet and Uncharted have demos on PSN that I'm sure are helping. They just aren't going to be day one purchases as much as other games. But I'm betting they'll have legs.

Maybe… but some news IPs sells very well on the "other side"…
SONY really need to push more their exclusives titles…

Maybe… but some news IPs sells very well on the "other side"…
SONY really need to more push their exclusives titles…

Partly because they were released in months where there was practically nothing else, and partly because the Xbox' early adapter public is known for buying a lot of games. I think at least that's a big part of it.

My $.02... after eight joyous hours with Uncharted, I fell in love with the game. It has some of the most beautiful graphics this side of Gears of War and Lost Planet. The music, the voice acting, the production values, the fun mix of gameplay types.... It's almost always exciting (save for the annoying jet ski sections), and towards the end there's one helluva surprise.

I think this game is right up there with Mass Effect, Bioshock, COD4, and Warhawk for one of my favorite games of the year.

Why do you hate the jetski levels ?
Is it because you have to stop and shoot, plus counter the water current ?

I like the second jetski level because it is very pretty and the water is impressive.
But I do wonder why they can't find a control scheme to let Elena shoot while Nathan navigates. It would mix up the game pace and variety even more (-shooting-behind-covers vs speedboat-gun-blazing

I like the second jetski level because it is very pretty and the water is impressive.
But I do wonder why they can't find a control scheme to let Elena shoot while Nathan navigates. It would mix up the game pace and variety even more (-shooting-behind-covers vs speedboat-gun-blazing

The third jetski level was the best because you didn't need to aim to shoot...you could just tap R1 and she auto-aims
Or didn't you know that? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a minute. Is there a third jetski level ? I want my money back for my copy.

And no, I didn't know Elena will auto-aim when you press R1. I always try to aim manually. So you can jetski and shoot at the same time ? Are you serious ?

Wait a minute. Is there a third jetski level ? I want my money back for my copy.

And no, I didn't know Elena will auto-aim when you press R1. I always try to aim manually. So you can jetski and shoot at the same time ? Are you serious ?

How far are you in the game?
The second one isn't really a level...well none of them are, they are parts of levels...but the second one is short.

And yeah I'm serious...
for the third one....she has a pistol

deepbrown, I completed the game.
I can only remember the first one where they found the jetski for the first time; and the second one where they go upstream to the monestary. In both stages, I always stop and shoot. I don't recall you can jetski and shoot at the same time (auto or manual aim)

deepbrown, I completed the game.
I can only remember the first one where they found the jetski for the first time; and the second one where they go upstream to the monestary. In both stages, I always stop and shoot. I don't recall you can jetski and shoot at the same time (auto or manual aim)

There's the first one when they find it...Drake does some shooting...then Elena saves him and they do some more. Then they go up stream...you can jetski and shoot at the same time on this third one...the upstream one. She autoaims at all the barrels...so you can just rush through, and she can just about kill all the dudes with autoaim too :)

I also don't recall her being able to shoot, and I seemed to press every button just to check. Of course, I was a panicky jet ski pilot, so that could have been part of the problem...

Meh, either way I finished the game on hard and don't have much reason to go back and check... I don't have it in me to go search for the remaining 15 treasures that I missed either. :)

There's the first one when they find it...Drake does some shooting...then Elena saves him and they do some more. Then they go up stream...you can jetski and shoot at the same time on this third one...the upstream one. She autoaims at all the barrels...so you can just rush through, and she can just about kill all the dudes with autoaim too :)

Shoot ! I missed out all that. I was stopping, struggling with the water current and aiming manually the whole time.

KnicksRIP said:
I also don't recall her being able to shoot, and I seemed to press every button just to check. Of course, I was a panicky jet ski pilot, so that could have been part of the problem...

And you completed that level without shooting ? My god... I thought game developers have high pain tolerance. It seems that some gamers have pretty tough endurance and determination too.

Shoot ! I missed out all that. I was stopping, struggling with the water current and aiming manually the whole time.

And you completed that level without shooting ? My god... I thought game developers have high pain tolerance. It seems that some gamers have pretty tough endurance and determination too.

:LOL:

ps. the mirrored world is genius

Back