UC4: Best looking gameplay? *SPOILS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot to add the other part, which is why it's considered to be diminishing: the actual cost of moving from 2D to 3D, compared to moving from Bond to Drake, is on the other hand a LOT higher.
I'd say Goldeneye's budget was probably quite a lot less than 10 million, whereas UC4 is probably at least around the 100 million mark. When you compare that to the perceived gains, the difference is something like two orders of magnitude...
63749072.jpg

I just thought I'd post it, I happened to launch it and was thoroughly impressed with the James Bond gameplay model, especially his face, probably not too many polys, but the textures are very sharp and nice. His model is very realistic for GameCube, and his blinking is quite nice :D

Another nice comparison, I don't have a photo atm though, the FMVs from these action games are lesser quality visually than say Uncharted 1 gameplay on PS3, and especially with UC Collection on PS4 it gives even more clear IQ and feeling of playing high quality real-time "CGI" ^^

It's nice to be able to play in some older games' FMV quality in realtime in modern games, it puts developments of all these nice qualities in newer games in general in a nice perspective, like seeing DriveClub after seeing NFS or Gran Turismo FMVs from yesteryear :)

It's nice to be able to play in some older games' FMV quality in realtime in modern games, it puts developments of all these nice qualities in newer games in general in a nice perspective, like seeing DriveClub after seeing NFS or Gran Turismo FMVs from yesteryear :)

This was one of the major pushes for me to get into 3D animation:

I was 14 at the time.

The jump in perceived quality was a lot bigger from 2D to 3D, then it was from Bond to Drake...
The leap that always stuck out to me most was 5th to 6th generation. Going from scruffy, blurry, pixelated messes of PS1 and N64 to PS2 I felt a lot more. The 6th generation was the one that came along and convinced me games could do anything :D

As impressive as 2D to 3D was for me, I was just more impressed with the leap in genres with games like Halo and Metal Gear Solid 2 and Gran Turismo 3. The games just felt so much more rich and solid so suddenly, that was the best for me... like 2D to 3D was incredible, but just the remarkable change in scale and scope that the 6th gen provided that was too wow for me. I didn't get so much of that feeling going from 6th to 7th generation. I think 7th to 8th has captured a bit more of it e.g. Metal Gear Solid V on such crazy scale, but not nearly as much as 6th gen amazed me.

The step from 2D to 3D was a huge step backwards to me initially. It took until last gen and this gen even for games to start catching up to the beautiful hand-drawn art. Of course many more types of experiences became possible but still ...

Slightly OT but on the topic of tessellated hair Nvidia hairworks does it for the beard on Geralt in the PC version of The Witcher 3 (only for the beard i think as you can see polygonal edges on the actual hair)
Using DirectX 11 technology, NVIDIA has developed NVIDIA HairWorks, a platform agnostic tessellated hair technique that adds dynamic volume in place of static meshes comprised solely of detailed textures.

thewitcher306.01.2016dar35.jpg

I know VFX you have a hard-on for Nvidia and that's why i thought i'd point that out :p

Overall, i think Geralt stands up to other character models i posted in this thread previously (at least from a character design/poly perspective), although lighting is far more inconsistent given that it's an open world game (and a huge one at that). I think CDPR used the available budget really efficiently, but i'd like to see some improvements in the LODs. I think that's the weakest part of the engine currently and it's even more aggressive on consoles, and rather expensive on PC to push everything out.

That facial hair and hair looks kind of tame tbh. I mean overall I like the model, but the hair is just decent I guess. It looks like something canned was sprayed on his face :LOL:

And LOD is exceptional, i'd like more games to start doing whatever ND have done with the LOD management in U4. I've been playing The Witcher 3 (because of Blood & Wine) and came up across this: http://webm.land/media/9ywO.webm

And that's the maxed out PC version. I'm not even moving the character, just the camera :nope:

I guess in part it is due to having a day/night system as well. But I agree they need to have a lower-level quality LOD to manage it when shadows should be visible at far distance. I'm sure GTA V does this well. I haven't played it in a while though, can't remember.

Some closeups to see how the screen space SSS works during gameplay.

uncharted4_athiefsendoia74.jpg

uncharted4_athiefsendsszv3.jpg

uncharted4_athiefsend12bna.jpg

uncharted4_athiefsendsbyqn.jpg

uncharted4_athiefsendfyarx.jpg

uncharted4_athiefsendbwz5c.jpg

uncharted4_athiefsendtyxqj.jpg

When you zoom in it's very easy to see where it fails as it is a screen space effect (and probably a cheap approximation of SSS on top of that) but it looks rather good for the majority of the time.

There are some other screens where that screen space SS is so hard to discern it makes me think it might be completely turned off in certain levels for performance. I think SSAO is off in some areas too. Thats the kind of optimization a linear game affords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back