Tom Clancy's The Division [PS4, XO]

MGS V level of "bullet sponginess" scales ridiculously.
At extreme the Skulls are almost invincible, not even headshot with a rocket do much damage (only the anti-matter sniper rifle deals enough damage).
Isn't that's why it's called extreme mode?

Btw when I used the sniper rifle, their armor still breaks and I can damage them. Just like an rpg, you simply have to levelup. Unlike common rpg, mgsv have in-game indicator in the form of enemy armor: in the case of skulls is its armor, in the case of goons is its helmet.

But on the division, the enemy doesn't have those in-game justification. The enemy simply a bullet sponge without reasons except high level indicator.

This is an interactive game, and human shooters at heart. Not a DnD or slashing turn based RPG or mystical setting.

Edit: looking at Joe's video, the animation does looks stiff compared to destiny. It's also not helping that the camera looks much more static on the division. The dynamic camera on destiny camouflage the stiffness (when changing from sitting to standing for example).

Last edited:
I didn't know this was an immersion problem for some especially since I don't readily recall this issue with other games like FO4, GTA 5, MGS 5 and other games with human targets and where you play as a human.

There are armored helmets in FO4 but a human enemy does not need one to survive a head shot. And why is being a bullet sponge so problematic especially a rpg, since outside of the tactical FPSes, you are commonly running around as the ultimate sponge. Can Snake be one shot killed with a head shot? The Vault dweller? Franklin, Michael or Trevor? I can't recall, but I do know that some eat a ton of bullets with some having the ability to heal by doing nothing more than hiding behind some cover.

How is the player being a bullet sponge any less immersion breaking? Is the fact that its so common that we have grown so accustom that it doesn't break the immersion of the games where its used. I imagine if you play TD enough, its something that you will grow accustom to experiencing.

I imagine if you level up high enough, you will be 1 shotting a lot of low level enemies after a while.

Last edited:
Mgs v have that visceral effects when you got headshoted. The enemy also got that special animation for headshot or when certain conditions has been achieved.

I can't remember the shooting experience in gta v. But in general, the game feels silly fun with the physics (running people while driving a car, etc).

I don't play fallout 4 :(

The division, some of the enemy only have 'stagger' animation after certain damage threshold.

It just feels so god damn stupid when you spray a whole clip on an enemy's head without having it so much a stagger yet keeps walking towards you like a terminator. The unveil demo tho was perfect, a few well aimed shots would out down an AI instantly thus drastically increases the immersion and the incentive to actually aim. If this bullet sponge is not an integral part of the gameplay then they should remove it on easy mode in single player.

I didn't know this was an immersion problem for some especially since I don't readily recall this issue with other games like FO4, GTA 5, MGS 5 and other games with human targets and where you play as a human.

There are armored helmets in FO4 but a human enemy does not need one to survive a head shot. And why is being a bullet sponge so problematic especially a rpg, since outside of the tactical FPSes, you are commonly running around as the ultimate sponge. Can Snake be one shot killed with a head shot? The Vault dweller? Franklin, Michael or Trevor? I can't recall, but I do know that some eat a ton of bullets with some having the ability to heal by doing nothing more than hiding behind some cover.

How is the player being a bullet sponge any less immersion breaking? Is the fact that its so common that we have grown so accustom that it doesn't break the immersion of the games where its used. I imagine if you play TD enough, its something that you will grow accustom to experiencing.

I imagine if you level up high enough, you will be 1 shotting a lot of low level enemies after a while.

Probably a bit of an expectations thing. I don't think anyone expected FO4 to work and feel like a snappy shooter. It used to be a game of dice rolls, albeit one played from a first person perspective. The decent shooter mechanics in FO4 came as a nice surprise. With The Division it seems to be the other way around. People expected a squad-based shooter with tight gunplay and some light rpg elements. Seems like it'll be the exact opposite. Supposedly the combat itself doesn't feel particularly good either (unlike in Destiny and Fallout 4), compounding the issue somewhat.

Last edited:
Syphon Filter 2 did it right IMO.
Anyone could be killed with one headshot, main characters included.
Only a boss was invulnerable to bullets but it was wearing a thick vest, a "super hurtlocker"

The problem is that SF was a pure TPS, in the Division stats will likely matter more than aim.

The whole "better stats gear" idea is totally "gamey" and is not based in reality so it will never be believable anyway.

Last edited:
Some higher quality Xbox One YouTube footage:

In my opinion, it looks really good for an open world game on Xbox One. Pop ups and pop ins aren't as aggressive as I thought they would be.

It's a shame the framerate is all over the place during fire-fights though, hope they can improve on this. I am still not a fan of the animations but it's almost like an mmo so it's understandable. What i am a fan of is the AA, which is really good and handles thin geometry just fine (look at 7:50 for example).

@Clucos
Yeah, the image quality seems to be very stable.

Unfortunately, the frame rate is not so good. Perhaps it improves like in Battlefront in the final version. Tearing can also be seen. I would also say that it has 900p . Otherwise, I think it's very good for the Xbox One.

I find the hit physics boring. That looks unsatisfactory.

@Clucos
Yeah, the image quality seems to be very stable.

Unfortunately, the frame rate is not so good. Perhaps it improves like in Battlefront in the final version. Tearing can also be seen. I would also say that it has 900p . Otherwise, I think it's very good for the Xbox One.

I find the hit physics boring. That looks unsatisfactory.

I think it's native 1080p. Based on this edge seen near the beginning of this YT video.

http://i.imgur.com/N5i3LpA.png

One previous Gamersyde footage running on XB1 was 1080p native too.

Yeah the revs have confirmed 1080P on Xbox One... but If I had to choose between 1080 with insane amount of tearing like we have here and 900P without tearing...well its 900P any day of the week.

I guess we need freesync TVs for the AMD consoles. Console developers do tend to neglect vsync.

I guess we need freesync TVs for the AMD consoles. Console developers do tend to neglect vsync.
Torn frames were common lastgen, especially on PS3. I can't think of many games on PS4 that exhibit torn frames.

Torn frames were common lastgen, especially on PS3. I can't think of many games on PS4 that exhibit torn frames.
Good to know. I plan to own a PS4 eventually. There are a few interesting exclusives.

I have only had a little exposure to PS3. Bought a Super Slim last year to play some exclusives and sold it off after that. The issue foremost on my mind there was how slow the BDROM was when installing games.

Last edited:
That most certainly isn't an issue on PS4. Most games are playable in under 30 seconds of inserting the disc. The slow games, about a minute. The PS4 disc install process is phenomenal.

Yeah the revs have confirmed 1080P on Xbox One... but If I had to choose between 1080 with insane amount of tearing like we have here and 900P without tearing...well its 900P any day of the week.
There may be a change right at release. I'm unsure of the release date but lots of time to make changes to improve performance up to and including a resolution reduction if necessary.

Back