there is no NV47, but G70 is on the way

Could someone help me out a tad since I'm moving fast & furious with puppies today and I ain't quite sure I'm reading right....

This new nVidia mobility part is on par with a 6800 ultra in performance? Hubba-wa?!?! :oops:

If so, great job nVidia and I'll be looking into it further.

digitalwanderer said:
Could someone help me out a tad since I'm moving fast & furious with puppies today and I ain't quite sure I'm reading right....

This new nVidia mobility part is on par with a 6800 ultra in performance? Hubba-wa?!?! :oops:

If you stay away from 16x12 (not too onerous for most notebooks), pert near!

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2356&p=3

geo said:
digitalwanderer said:

If you stay away from 16x12 (not too onerous for most notebooks), pert near!

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2356&p=3

My goodness! This is absolutely incredible. GeForce Go 6800 Ultra running at 450/1100!!! How??? The regular 6800 Ultra at 425/1200 gets mighty hot and this is not due to lack of cooling. That's a lot of trannies running at high speed/utilization. You'd think it would melt a laptop. They must have done something approaching a miracle to get this to work.

It's also interesting to note that the Go was using ForceWare 75 while the desktop units were running 69.33. Wonder why.

DegustatoR said:
wireframe said:
My goodness! This is absolutely incredible. GeForce Go 6800 Ultra running at 450/1100!!! How???
12 pipelines instead of 16?

Nope, that's not it. Although if it were, it would be even more impressive because in certain situations the Geforce Go 6800 Ultra outperforms the desktop part (linearly, as you could expect from the core clock increase).

I am not questioning Nvidia's ability to increase performance. What I am impressed by is that they can put something like this inside a laptop without having it become a volcano of plastics. Of course, the real test would be the GPU's ability to throttle between 2D, 3D, and various Windows acceleration function modes so as to conserve battery when you need it and become an absolute portable 3D beast when you so desire. But for the moment I will just remain awed by the thermal victory.

this is a nice laptop, I just ordered one but there is a 30 day build period. Perfect for work on the road, before I had to lug around my desktop....

Didn't dell have a exclusivity deal with ATi for laptops or is that for only previous generations or certian models?

wireframe said:
DegustatoR said:
wireframe said:
My goodness! This is absolutely incredible. GeForce Go 6800 Ultra running at 450/1100!!! How???

Nope, that's not it. Although if it were, it would be even more impressive because in certain situations the Geforce Go 6800 Ultra outperforms the desktop part (linearly, as you could expect from the core clock increase).
Again, the mobile 6800"U" is a 12-pipe GPU, whereas the desktop 6800U has 16 pipes. So there are fewer transistors right off the bat, in addition to any improvements nV may have made to power efficiency since NV40 was released.

There's no "linear" increase, as the mobile 6800U has four fewer pipelines than the 6800U. Any other performance differences can be attributed to different driver versions and--more importantly--different processors (Dothan 2.13GHz 2MB vs. A64 2.4GHz 1MB).

Still, very nice part and laptop.

Pete said:
wireframe said:
DegustatoR said:
wireframe said:

Again, the mobile 6800"U" is a 12-pipe GPU, whereas the desktop 6800U has 16 pipes. So there are fewer transistors right off the bat, in addition to any improvements nV may have made to power efficiency since NV40 was released.

There's no "linear" increase, as the mobile 6800U has four fewer pipelines than the 6800U. Any other performance differences can be attributed to different driver versions and--more importantly--different processors (Dothan 2.13GHz 2MB vs. A64 2.4GHz 1MB).

This is very confusing. According to Anand the the Go 6800U outperforms the desktop 6800U by a margin of 10% in some benchmarks. This correlates perfectly with the core increase (450/400 = 1.125). But what you are saying is we need to factor in that it has only 75% of the pipelines and this means that the Go must have 133% of the efficiency of the desktop part. Hmm...

If I were to attribute processor differences I would favor the Athlon 64, again magic coming from the Go 6800 Ultra part.

Here is the source of my confusion and awe [taken from www.Anandtech.com ]

Taken from here

Geforce Go 6800 Ultra (450/1100): 88.5
Geforce 6800 Ultra (400/1100): 79.3

88.5/79.3= 111.6%
450/400=112.5%

That would make perfect sense by itself if we were looking at a Geforce 6800 Ultra running at the two speeds listed. But you are of course correct in pointing ou that the Go only has 3 quads as opposed to the 4 on the desktop part. So, somewhere the difference in pipelines is being perfectly 'masked' by some difference in this core or driver revision (they did use two different drivers).

I'm still not sure why the Go tanks at higher resolutions and is expected to do so. From what I gather it has a 256-bit memory bus using GDDR-3 at the same speed as the desktop version. Why would this one quad deficit only reveal itself with higher resoution and FSAA + AF ?

Again, look at my GamePC link that shows Far Cry really likes Dothan--with the same video card, so the only variable is the CPU.

Pete said:
Again, look at my GamePC link that shows Far Cry really likes Dothan--with the same video card, so the only variable is the CPU.

Ok. I blinked when I saw your link, thinking it was Anandtech. So Dothan does really well with Far Cry. Now it makes sense and I guess we can expect the 6800 Ultra to do similarly well coupled with the 'right' processor.

I'm probably confusing myself more than I have to. It was just that the benchmark performance seemed to scale so perfectly with the increase in core given the same number of pipelines.

I guess thermals and performance have been explained and instead of saying "nope, that's not it" I should have gone with "yes, of course. that's it!" :D

digitalwanderer said:
Pete said:
Most definately! "F-ing a" impressive to say the least! :oops:

Finally, it's possible to get a decent gaming notebook. 8)

An MR X800 would give similar performance using the same CPU as well.

_xxx_ said:
It would not give similar performance. It's slower.
Ah, I thought you were saying I shouldn't research them....which struck me as odd. ;)

Today I ain't gonna look at 'em, but if my wife got to get a 350Z and some new puppies I think I'll get a laptop for my midlife crisis. :)

EDITED BITS: I thought you were saying the G70 was faster than the mobility X800, but from the article you linked it looks like the mobility X800 toasts the G70! :oops:

Where?

Go6800U with 2.1 GHz CPU:
6416.png

X800 with 3.4 GHz CPU:
aamobilehl2bench.png

Back