there is no NV47, but G70 is on the way

Check out the latest beta driver on 3dchipset.com. There is a whole line of G70 cards listed in the driver. So no, it's not Inq's BS. It's supposedly the next mobile part, not a desktop part.

DaveBaumann said:
Where did you pick up that it was a mobile part?

maybe because Acceleon Series have Gxx model scheme.

(lol, nVidia cloning naming scheme from Bitboys... I didn't see this day coming. :D ) ;)

ndoogoo said:
The Baron said:
G? Gigapixel? Mobile TBDR? Ohoho!

It probably just stands for "Go" as in GoForce

It's funny you should think GoForce 7 before GeForce 7, or even Generation 7. Not saying it's not a mobile part, but if NVidia decided to stop naming their GPUs with NVxx, would it not make sense to call them Gxx for GeForce, GPU, or Graphics?

question is, is G70 just Nvidia's next card to combat ATi's R520 Fudo, or is G70 the codename for Nvidia's next-generation technology that will power videocards farther down the road, and Playstation3 ?

digitalwanderer said:
DaveBaumann said:
Where did you pick up that it was a mobile part?
A personal favor _xxx_?

Could you answer Dave with just a, "Yes. :) ", for me please....he has it coming. :devilish:

Nah, 'yes' doesn't work there. I'd go with "You'll just have to accept that sometimes when I'm commenting on these matters that I know more than I can say." :)

Megadrive1988 said:
question is, is G70 just Nvidia's next card to combat ATi's R520 Fudo, or is G70 the codename for Nvidia's next-generation technology that will power videocards farther down the road, and Playstation3 ?

There are multiple device ID's for it already, indicating several SKU's, which means that its probably close to release.

geo said:
Nah, 'yes' doesn't work there. I'd go with "You'll just have to accept that sometimes when I'm commenting on these matters that I know more than I can say." :)
I beg to differ, 'yes' works best when it doesn't fit at all. ;)

How many device IDs are there? And how many different mobility models do they generally run? (I thought the "G" stood for "graphics" myself)

Just a random and 100% speculative thought, but in case this isn't a desktop part, it would fit perfectly with the release schedule of the NVIDIA nForce for Intel processors. I wasn't aware of it having integrated graphics, but I'd love to be surprised.
It would make sense for the number to be 70 too, considering it's likely there already is a NV60 in development (although at very preliminary stages ofc). Although obviously that would indicate a totally different architecture than desktop parts; that'd make sense from the point of view that work on the Intel nForce began around NV35's release, when NVIDIA's desktop parts weren't exactly amazing. And a NV4x might have a fair bit of useless transistors for such a design. Still, this theory is a fair bit too far-fetched even from my point of view, so don't listen to me... Although I'm quite intruigued here, really :)

Uttar
P.S.: The best empty response is "Why do you ask?" imo, although in cases where "yes" is not appropriate, it's a pretty damn good contender as Dig said.

Richteralan said:
It's fun to see people think G70 as a mobile part.......everywhere :LOL:
Indeed, I wonder what's the problem with those people, considering that driver most obviously is compiled for the x86 :)

Uttar

No, the question is, what are G71 and G72 as well. 8)

Oh, and IMO, "G" stands for Generation, as in Generation 7.

Back