there is no NV47, but G70 is on the way

Zaphod said:
That's an AXIOM-module isn't it? Looks rather similar to the images ATI released when they introduced the Mobility X600.

That is basically the same connector as the AXIOM designs that ATI use - previous XPS had a similar connector for the AGP version, so in this case I would say the design of is Dell's wishes.

DaveBaumann said:
That is basically the same connector as the AXIOM designs that ATI use - they had the previous XPS had a similar connector for the AGP version, so in this case I would say the design of is Dell's wishes.
Perhaps. It's not just the connector, though. (They don't look all that similar to me and the one in your image looks like the one in my AGP Asus) . It's the whole board. The mounting holes line up, placement of components like the other connector-like thingy in the top-left corner of the bottom image at Tom's.

You wouldn't happen to know who are the ODMs of the new (Inspiron 9300) XPS. The old XPS was a Compal (Edit: Apparently the new one is also). I guess I'm not so sure Dell 'wishes' as much anymore when it comes to their ODMs but rather, with the rapid model turnaround we're seeing, consentrates on putting together a solid lineup from what's available to them. They even have straight up 'clone products' (pretty much unaltered from the same model sold under different brands) in their notebook range now.

DaveBaumann said:
Karma Police said:
The only way I can see ATi beating nVidia in the notebook race now is if it releases the X800XL in a notebook. A 12-pipe SM3.0 card should have around the same tranny count as a 16-pipe SM2.0b card, but should allow better performance at higher resolutions.

130nm low-k will offer better thermal properties than 110nm.

I thought they had apporximately the same thermal properties. How much better is low-k .13u than .11u for core clocks, then?

Personally I almst went and bought the laptop but I thought it would be ridiculous because I just owned the XPS Gen 1 for like 4-5 months so far. Anyway I dont think the benchmarks are lying or Nvidia has some magic drivers. With regards to the 3dmark05 score it is kind of ridiculous maybe, but then again the performances in games that the card is able to push out is mindboggling in a mobile platform. So I dont think there are driver cheats per se, maybe there are driver optimizations without affecting the image quality but that is the extent of it. I think Nvidia has quiet a quality piece of hardware out for mobile platforms and ATI is beat as of the present moment. I am sure ATI and NVidia both have some crazy tricks up there sleeves. Frankly I am gonna buy a mobile gaming machine sometime next year when the Yonah series of processors are out which is end of 2006 and by that time we will have a whole slew of insane procesors out for graphics. Still...that Gen 2 is so darn tempting. :oops:

IbaneZ said:
Something about G70 from CeBit.
http://www.computerbase.de/news/har...dia/2005/maerz/cebit05_nvidia_g70_ende_april/
G70 is the NV40 refresh and will be released in April? Too bad i can't understand German. :)
Just use Google to translate. It's a bit messy, but I think the meaning translates pretty well. They're not saying anything we haven't already considered here on the forums. That is, they expect that the G70 is the flagship of the GeForce 7 line, and that this line of processors will basically be NV4x's with more pipelines (though I'm sure we can be sure to see general speedups and optimizations on some of the new features, such as FP render targets and branching).

dizietsma said:
Has there been any information on why nvidia changed from nv code names to G code names ?
R420 - Radeon core 420
NV47 - NVIDIA core 47
G70 - Geforce core 70

The next ATI chip will be called A110 for sure. :rolleyes:

Nick said:
dizietsma said:
Has there been any information on why nvidia changed from nv code names to G code names ?
R420 - Radeon core 420
NV47 - NVIDIA core 47
G70 - Geforce core 70

Cool, you know how cool the A110 was?
I like A310 and A610 as well.

finally, the people testing the cards have confirmed that nv47=g70

Yes, because SLI on one processor isn't the stupidest idea since my brother deciding to light that fire inside a fort whose ceiling was made of dead leaves...

Chalnoth said:
Yes, because SLI on one processor isn't the stupidest idea since my brother deciding to light that fire inside a fort whose ceiling was made of dead leaves...

:) :D :p

oh well.. g70Ultra will be their first attempt at it, a stopgap resolution while the g80 is prepared to be on level with r520/r580.

Nick said:
dizietsma said:
R420 - Radeon core 420
NV47 - NVIDIA core 47
G70 - Geforce core 70

G has nothing to do with geforce. G stands for graphic(s).
Nvidia wants to make a difference between chipset and gpu's. GPU's now get the G prefix, chipsets the C prefix. Simple as that.

HaLDoL said:
Nvidia wants to make a difference between chipset and gpu's. GPU's now get the G prefix, chipsets the C prefix. Simple as that.

Not really, r500=c1! :?

neliz said:
HaLDoL said:

Since when has the r500/C1 been a NVIDIA part?

Tim said:

Since when has the r500/C1 been a NVIDIA part?[/quote]

Never, someone just said that C in codenames stands for chipset, for ati C is console, so C2 should be holywood..

neliz said:
Never, someone just said that C in codenames stands for chipset, for ati C is console, so C2 should be holywood..

Neliz, you're losing it.
What ATi uses has nothing to with nvidia.

neliz said:
Tim said:

Since when has the r500/C1 been a NVIDIA part?

Never, someone just said that C in codenames stands for chipset, for ati C is console, so C2 should be holywood..[/quote]

WTF??? G for graphics and C for chipset obviously relates only to nVidia....

neliz said:
Nick said:
dizietsma said:
R420 - Radeon core 420
NV47 - NVIDIA core 47
G70 - Geforce core 70

Cool, you know how cool the A110 was?
I like A310 and A610 as well.

finally, the people testing the cards have confirmed that nv47=g70

yes, thesse are very cool indeed :)

http://gtfrance.free.fr/img/alpine/A110.JPG
http://www.mindspring.com/~techbiz/alpine1.jpg
http://serge.rossi.free.fr/images/a610-1993.jpeg

Back