Can we really judge a console's power on exclusive games or multiplaform games?

It's the totality of what the game's doing.

The game looks good on foot, or driving fast, or up in the air flying a jet. The streaming system and control of polygon and texture budgets to do that is amazing. You can even switch characters and move across the city.

But that's not all it's doing. The physics engine can handle walking or bumping into people, car handling and impacts, explosions, sparks, and even pretty cool helicopter control dynamics. So it balances tick rate and collision mesh complexity across a large range of scenarios.

But it also has really good, fun NPC scripting with pretty responsive behaviour. And some pretty good dynamic lighting.

So many things are dynamic and "free" in GTAV and the game still looks great overall. I'm still pretty in awe of what they achieved.

Uncharted and Gears have a very limited number of objects and behaviours, very limited movement with predetermined sequences of loading, and they can build environments for specific types of movement and collision. Baked lighting also allows a ton of artistic polish. It's the direction and polish that make Gears and Uncharted so slick to watch.

I'll have a think. The Ass Creed games have some technical chops, and maybe Crysis 2...?
Do you think BOTW can run as is on 360 or will the ram be a problem?

Didn't the Wii U do something crazy with memory and have like 1GB of it's 2GB reserved by the system?

Memory would likely still be an issue on the 360, possibly with some compromises needed, but a partial install like GTAV would likely help a lot. A HDD would be a lot faster than a BR drive, probably an order of magnitude for access times, and that would mean you store less and stream in just in time far more effectively.

Can't say how close to the Wii U it would be end up with an real confidence, but I'd guess probably pretty close.

Didn't the Wii U do something crazy with memory and have like 1GB of it's 2GB reserved by the system?

Memory would likely still be an issue on the 360, possibly with some compromises needed, but a partial install like GTAV would likely help a lot. A HDD would be a lot faster than a BR drive, probably an order of magnitude for access times, and that would mean you store less and stream in just in time far more effectively.

Can't say how close to the Wii U it would be end up with an real confidence, but I'd guess probably pretty close.
Yea i was thinking the samething as well, i reckon it would also run better cause of the CPU. Still people will say it was poor optimization, like come on almost every game that was has slightly cpu intensive struggled big time.

I imagine lack of GPU compute on 360 would be a much larger problem when it comes to running Wii U games/ports.

Last edited:
Did Wii U software use much compute? My uninformed feeling as that it wouldn't and software would have continued the GC evolutionary arc.

Like you said I think the only problem could arise from lack of ram. The rest? X360 hardware handily beats WiiU hardware. I remember some DF faceoffs PS3 / X360 / WiiU in some open world games (like Assassins's creed) and it was usually X360 > PS3 > WiiU. There was often a bigger performance gap between PS3 and WiiU than PS3 and X360! X360 was just a beast! :yep2:

Like you said I think the only problem could arise from lack of ram. The rest? X360 hardware handily beats WiiU hardware. I remember some DF faceoffs PS3 / X360 / WiiU in some open world games (like Assassins's creed) and it was usually X360 > PS3 > WiiU. There was often a bigger performance gap between PS3 and WiiU than PS3 and X360! X360 was just a beast! :yep2:
The WiiU GPU is more modren and many argue that it was much better for that reason. For some reason games hardly ever showed it, and the ones that did were something that would be very hard to notice while playing.

The WiiU GPU is more modren and many argue that it was much better for that reason. For some reason games hardly ever showed it, and the ones that did were something that would be very hard to notice while playing.
About WiiU vs X360 we already had this old thread. In summary WiiU GPU was a bit more modern but much weaker and 90% of multiplatform games showed it.

That is just flat out not true, it has it's weaknesses just like PS3 and 360 did, but to state it's 'much weaker' is ridiculous.

By that logic, PS3 is much weaker than 360 because it loses in 90% of multiplatform games (But we know they trade blows)
You also have developers saying it's much weaker as well. Metro last light developer was saying the wiiu has a weak cpu and the port would be way to comprised. What about the 2 developers saying it's weaker from the gameindustry article, also the EA developer.

Also ps3 multiplatform comparison doesn't really work. Ps3 was so foreign hardware when it came that developers took maybe 4 years just to get a hand of tye wiiu in comparsion in more modern 360 and tricore cpu from 1997.

You also have developers saying it's much weaker as well. Metro last light developer was saying the wiiu has a weak cpu and the port would be way to comprised.

My and Globalisateur posts above were about the GPU.

What about the 2 developers saying it's weaker from the gameindustry article, also the EA developer.

Provide the articles?

Also ps3 multiplatform comparison doesn't really work.

Yes it does.

Ps3 was so foreign hardware when it came that developers took maybe 4 years just to get a hand of tye wiiu in comparsion in more modern 360 and tricore cpu from 1997.

No, if you could handle PS2's Emotion Engine and Vector units then PS3's Cell CPU was not really an issue.

My and Globalisateur posts above were about the GPU.

Provide the articles?

Yes it does.

No, if you could handle PS2's Emotion Engine and Vector units then PS3's Cell CPU was not really an issue.

While recently Darksiders II developer Vigil Games said Wii U is "on par" with current generation consoles, now a band of anonymous developers have spoken out to Games Industry.biz about the machine's power, claiming it's not got quite as much grunt as its current opposition.

One anonymous developer said:

No, it's not up to the same level as the PS3 or the 360. The graphics are just not as powerful.
Which was backed up by a second, also anonymous dev:

Yeah, that's true. It doesn't produce graphics as well as the PS3 or the 360. There aren't as many shaders, it's not as capable. Sure, some things are better, mostly as a result of it being a more modern design. But overall the Wii U just can't quite keep up.

While recently Darksiders II developer Vigil Games said Wii U is "on par" with current generation consoles, now a band of anonymous developers have spoken out to Games Industry.biz about the machine's power, claiming it's not got quite as much grunt as its current opposition.

One anonymous developer said:

Which was backed up by a second, also anonymous dev:

Yeah, that's true. It doesn't produce graphics as well as the PS3 or the 360. There aren't as many shaders, it's not as capable. Sure, some things are better, mostly as a result of it being a more modern design. But overall the Wii U just can't quite keep up.

If developers aren't willing to put their name to their comments then the 'news' is redundant to me.

If developers aren't willing to put their name to their comments then the 'news' is redundant to me.
Umm yea they have nda, and would get in trouble. they are more reliable then a developer trying to hype up and sell there games and conspiring 90% of wiiu ports could not keep up they weren't lying

So why do others have no issues putting their name to their comments?
Nintendo makes you sign a NDA not to reveal their specs thats why neogaf had to do a chip works pic and pay for it. why do you think no developer revealed specs of the wiiu gpu. yea it's ridiclous but thats how they work since showing there specs would be bad marketing.

Nintendo makes you sign a NDA not to reveal their specs thats why neogaf had to do a chip works pic and pay for it. why do you think no developer revealed specs of the wiiu gpu. yea it's ridiclous but thats how they work since showing there specs would be bad marketing.

That didn't answer my question.

Maybe what they commented on isn't covered by nda, saying the Nintendo isnt as powerful wouldn't be covered, maybe they haven't signed an nda and they are saying something they heard from another developer or maybe they don't care

Back