The pain of fanboys and their rulers *spawn

Please refresh my memory as to when this was.

He's not far off.

Back in 1994 before PC GPUs got the kind of investment they did, the Saturn and PS1 could outperform the PC. The PS1 in particular was rocking with high end PCs up until Voodoo 1 appeared in 1996.

The Dreamcast was the high water mark - in 1998 it could outperform dual Voodoo 2s tied to a Pentium 2 450 (not to mention the previous real time 3D leader, the Model 3 arcade board). More polygons (lots more), higher colour resolution (24 bit native vs 16-bit), better texture compression, even supported aniso and per pixel bump mapping. The PC version of CLX2 in the DC came later and was *massively* watered down.

Original Gangster Xbox had an uprated version of the highest end PC GPU at the time - Geforce 3 - but with twice the vertex shaders, some tweaks that didn't hit PC until GF4, and some hardware features exposed that were never exposed on PC.

Finally, Xbox 360 could deliver results that were initially on par with the likes of the GF7 GTX 7900, but would ultimately surpass it as Xenos utilisation improved. Xenos was far more efficient and also supported early GPU compute. CPU, while more difficult to utilise, was on par with fast dual core Athlon 64s - at least according to Capcom, who were at the time making one of the most scalable multi-core, multi-thread engines.

Misterxmedia has one pillar that he uses to represent the unlocked secretsauce POWA OF DA XBOX ONE
RYSE SON OF ROME....

Yet for all the super technology in Xbox One (5tflops or secret hiddenlayer or dual gpu or DX12 architecture, or Polaris Architecture) even his beloved Ryse, which apparently does take advantage of the secret sauce technology is revealed to not have that ultraNASAtech as its outperformed by the regular tech of 7870 and GTX950ti or overclocked GTX950.

In this video, not only does it enable the same temporal AA (1xt) solution as the Xbox One,but its at higher resolution 1920x1080, at those settings has superior LOD, at those settings higher shadow resolution and at those settings shadows are rendered at further distance. AF is x16, not sure what Xbox One runs at. And it doesn't dip below 30fps like the Xbox One does in the first level.

Maybe Quantum Break and Fable Legends will finally utilize the unlocked performance of Xbox One's Polaris Architecture?

Last edited:
More stories from the guy (lets call him X) I mentioned at the beginning. Well one of his friends (lets call him B) buys an Elite XBOX One. Claims it has superior graphics. Tells X about it. X responds no fucking way. Checks it out at B's house and he is blown away. X immediately sells his XBOX One and buys an Elite in its place.
X and B now claim Elite XBOX ONE is more powerful, has better graphics, and MS is keeping it a secret. Because for some reason it makes business sense

LOL

More stories from the guy (lets call him X) I mentioned at the beginning. Well one of his friends (lets call him B) buys an Elite XBOX One. Claims it has superior graphics.

Well, that's obviously because it's the "Elite" Xbox.

I heard that the latest Xboxes unlock their Direct X12s much sooner than the orignal versions. It's great because all of the three GPUs are then available. Not only that but the hibernating blitter can be used and it increases the bandwidth dramatically. Now the performance is 8-10x better than before. If only the TV manufacturers released their 8k TVs already, we'd all be playing native on those.

/s

More stories from the guy (lets call him X) I mentioned at the beginning. Well one of his friends (lets call him B) buys an Elite XBOX One. Claims it has superior graphics. Tells X about it. X responds no fucking way. Checks it out at B's house and he is blown away. X immediately sells his XBOX One and buys an Elite in its place.
X and B now claim Elite XBOX ONE is more powerful, has better graphics, and MS is keeping it a secret. Because for some reason it makes business sense
At what point are the blinders lifted from the faithfuls' eyes?

Living in ignorance looks wonderful. Every decisions is the best ever!! :yes:

I may have stated this before, but I actually have a theory (though I'm surely not the first to think this) that the reason some of the psychological mechanisms behind these types of skewed perception evolved was to prevent the opposite feeling. If we were fully aware of the wrongness of prior decisions and the degree to which we were ignorant we would be too paralyzed by that awareness to make decisions.

I may have stated this before, but I actually have a theory (though I'm surely not the first to think this) that the reason some of the psychological mechanisms behind these types of skewed perception evolved was to prevent the opposite feeling. If we were fully aware of the wrongness of prior decisions and the degree to which we were ignorant we would be too paralyzed by that awareness to make decisions.

You have a theory? If only somebody would have thought about that before! :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

On the bright side, you came up with this theory on your own and it apparently didn't require millions of tax dollars to support numerous research efforts!

LOL

Are those guys they still at the Elite? I'm beta testing the Elite Ultra and boy... It rocks.
This is the Polaris versions with very increased GPU power (12TFlops - at first only 3 will be available, but DX 13 will unlock the rest), DDR4, 512 MB eSRAM and 2 GB of GDDR 5 at 8 GHz.
CPU is now Intel i7.9 (an improved versions of the i7), with 6 cores. And there are two of them... Stacked in the silicon.
The new version is also slimmer, and better yet... It's portable if you buy the battery and screen adapter. A GSM adapter is in the works for those wanting a 17" very smart phone.
Halo 5 now runs at 4k 60 fps, and forza 6 at 12k 240 FPS.
NASA is very interested in this hardware because of it's price performance ratio since it is expected to cost 150 euros with the offer of some croissants and potato chips so that you may have a snack during your gameplay. Oh... Almost forgot... The bundled controler is the... Elite V 3.0 (v2.0 was skipped)!

He's not far off.

Even if you can make a case for "consoles being more powerful than PC's in the past and needing dual GPU monster PC's to over power them" Since the XBox/PS2 generation, that would only have been true for at best 6 months into the consoles launch.

Original Gangster Xbox had an uprated version of the highest end PC GPU at the time - Geforce 3 - but with twice the vertex shaders, some tweaks that didn't hit PC until GF4, and some hardware features exposed that were never exposed on PC.

However... the Geforce 3 Ti 500 had a slightly faster core clock than the NV2a and 25% faster memory clock. So while NV2A had higher vertex shading capability the Ti500 was faster in most other respects. The NV2a did, as you say have some architectural improvements but as I recall they were pretty minor and not on the same level as the improvements introduced in the GeForce 4 Ti 6 months later. Combined with a decent amount of RAM and a CPU that easily overpowered that available in the original Xbox I think it's fair to say that in November 2001 you could build a PC that was pretty even with the Xbox in performance terms without requiring a dual GPU rig. It would have cost a fortune to be sure, but a single GPU box could just about keep up.

Finally, Xbox 360 could deliver results that were initially on par with the likes of the GF7 GTX 7900, but would ultimately surpass it as Xenos utilisation improved. Xenos was far more efficient and also supported early GPU compute. CPU, while more difficult to utilise, was on par with fast dual core Athlon 64s - at least according to Capcom, who were at the time making one of the most scalable multi-core, multi-thread engines.

Actually when it launched the 360 delivered results significantly below those that the 7900 (when it later launched) would deliver, or indeed the flagship GPU of the time, the 7800 GTX512 - terms of resolution/frame rate. It was much later (years) when the PC market had almost entirely transitioned to the unified shaders that Xenos was based on that we started to see the 7xxx series really suffer in console games. And I'd argue that's as much down to NV abandoning driver support for the architecture along with developers optimising for unified shader architectures at the expense of separate pixel/vertex shaders as it was down to Xenos being better utilised. As I recall correctly, ATI's X18/19xx series continued to perform well throughout the whole generation though.

So at the Xbox 360 launch you could build a single GPU system which would have been either competitive with, or outright outperforming the XB360 for at least a couple of years while if you waited 2 months for the X1900XTX launch you could have had a GPU that was unequivocally more powerful that Xenos.

Clearly consoles were still in a very good position back then performance wise, but I think it shows that there's been a general trend away from high powered consoles for a long time. PS1 > PS2 > PS3 > PS4 when it comes to comparisons to PC's on their launch dates. And PS1 was really the last time that a console was clearly more powerful than the best single GPU PC's at the point it launched, and for some time after. And that makes perfect sense given the ever growing gulf between power draw of consoles and power draw of high end PC's.

You have a theory? If only somebody would have thought about that before! :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

On the bright side, you came up with this theory on your own and it apparently didn't require millions of tax dollars to support numerous research efforts!

I know the what. I wondered about the why. Why does cognitive dissonance exist? Why didn't we just evolve the ability to deal with multiple conflicting ideas instead of evolving all of these complex mechanisms to allow us to dismiss those that conflict with a preferred one, often to our detriment? Is there an advantage to the latter? Wikipedia doesn't cover that.

My theory is that creating neural networks is a lot of effort, and destroying them to reconstruct alternatives is to be avoided, not least because the basic construction of these neural networks is based on immutable natural laws. The brain learns how to see, hear, move, etc. and doesn't want to be going forgetting these things in a hurry. Where that falls down is where the same basic learning and reasoning systems are applied to vague concepts and abstract concepts where it's actually possible the be wrong and needing to reprogram one's brain. So you have people who's understanding of a subjective or such notion occupies the same certainty that a tree being solid has, and with the same difficulty changing that opinion as to changing to think they could walk through a tree. Due to the infinite flexibility of the human mind, however, it's possible, especially when guided while growing up, to accomodate alternative, fuzzy logic circuits and programs that remain flexible.

Fanboys are indeed a pain. PC and console warriors can talk about the advantages and disadvantages of their platform all they like, but its really annoying when it has to supersede the others preferences.

PC master racing has gotten a lot worse in recent years now that PC has become far more user friendly formore audiences, and Steam has provided a single easy and cheap outlet to purchase games on..

Like..i'd never deny the advantages of PC gaming, but i really dislike how you can't even really talk about console gaming without being hijacked by "this game should be on PC, all console publishers are anticonsumer if their games are not on PC" even if the publisher paid for the game or owns the developer. Or "PC is just better in every way, lol kids playing on childrens toys".

Like, i get it. Just don't pretend to be above petty platform warring with that attitude.

Console fanboys of the various stripes are atleast more tolerable because its within that bubble of their various advantages and disadvantages, only a fool on console would try and make outrageous claims about being better than PC's objective superiority in many areas.

But these days, you can't even exist as a console gamer or have an exclusive(unless your Wii U and then for some reason you get a pass cause Nintendo or something) without being mocked or port begging or petitioning.

I only own a PS4 for reference, and having to sift through that kind of thing is very annoying. We should all be trying to support our core gaming hobby

Yeah, Genesis kid here...i owned a Saturn, and Dreamcast, and those days seem farther away than ever before now....modern generations don't even know how grand it was in those days with Sega on the scene.

How do you think Atari and Amiga fans feel? It's been far longer for them.

Back