The pain of fanboys and their rulers *spawn

I just had a funny case on my website
I posted the news that 9 Xbox One First Party Exclusives were going to PC in 2016, making a final comment that I was not shure this was good on the console perspective and asking the readers their oppinion. And was attacked by three readers that claimed I was a fanboy, that I was leading people, etc, etc.
I stated it was only an oppinion, not a fact, and that the idea was to open a debate on the comments section.
They continued to attack... and I went to check them.
At first I noticed two of them were using the same e-mail... So I asked for clarification!
I received two very similar answers claiming they were two different persons, and even giving me their full name. But... funny enough, one of them changed the e-mail... to the e-mail of the third one.
So I re-checked them all... and they all were using the same IP.
It was only one person... Commenting as three to make their arguments beliavable...
This is incredible... Its sick... and requires treatment.

I just had a funny case on my website
I posted the news that 9 Xbox One First Party Exclusives were going to PC in 2016, making a final comment that I was not shure this was good on the console perspective and asking the readers their oppinion. And was attacked by three readers that claimed I was a fanboy, that I was leading people, etc, etc.
I stated it was only an oppinion, not a fact, and that the idea was to open a debate on the comments section.
They continued to attack... and I went to check them.
At first I noticed two of them were using the same e-mail... So I asked for clarification!
I received two very similar answers claiming they were two different persons, and even giving me their full name. But... funny enough, one of them changed the e-mail... to the e-mail of the third one.
So I re-checked them all... and they all were using the same IP.
It was only one person... Commenting as three to make their arguments beliavable...
This is incredible... Its sick... and requires treatment.

That's bizarre. Almost a religious devotion to a console.

What's your website?

Even if you can make a case for "consoles being more powerful than PC's in the past and needing dual GPU monster PC's to over power them" Since the XBox/PS2 generation, that would only have been true for at best 6 months into the consoles launch.

I actually said he wasn't far off. I think RancidLunchmeat was exaggerating a little for effect, but it's a solid point that consoles used to hit much harder relative to PC.

However... the Geforce 3 Ti 500 had a slightly faster core clock than the NV2a and 25% faster memory clock. So while NV2A had higher vertex shading capability the Ti500 was faster in most other respects. The NV2a did, as you say have some architectural improvements but as I recall they were pretty minor and not on the same level as the improvements introduced in the GeForce 4 Ti 6 months later. Combined with a decent amount of RAM and a CPU that easily overpowered that available in the original Xbox I think it's fair to say that in November 2001 you could build a PC that was pretty even with the Xbox in performance terms without requiring a dual GPU rig. It would have cost a fortune to be sure, but a single GPU box could just about keep up.

But what I said still stands - NV2a was a more advanced version of the highest end PC part. Long term it likely aged better too, due to the burgeoning polygon counts associated with growing vertex shader use and availability.

Actually when it launched the 360 delivered results significantly below those that the 7900 (when it later launched) would deliver, or indeed the flagship GPU of the time, the 7800 GTX512 - terms of resolution/frame rate. It was much later (years) when the PC market had almost entirely transitioned to the unified shaders that Xenos was based on that we started to see the 7xxx series really suffer in console games. And I'd argue that's as much down to NV abandoning driver support for the architecture along with developers optimising for unified shader architectures at the expense of separate pixel/vertex shaders as it was down to Xenos being better utilised. As I recall correctly, ATI's X18/19xx series continued to perform well throughout the whole generation though.

This is where I enjoy one of my favourite rants.

I was gaming on both a 360 and a 7900 GTX in these years and the 7900 GTX aged like a turd. It's undoubtedly the worst GPU I've ever bought in terms of longevity and value for money. The 7800 GTX 512 (a super boutique NV pride part) would have aged far worse. Neither could do MSAA with HDR iirc. No chance of it doing GPU compute in the way Xenos can. And this was despite drawing about four times the power. Oblivion ran like shit on it. I know because I spent about 120 hours enjoying trolls beating me in a slideshow.

Poor PS3 having to use one of this family of outdated GPUs. Cell had to be employed to do culling and AA just to get it to have a chance of hanging with Xenos.

Now the 8800 GTX ... that stomped both the 360 and PS3 combined. I replaced my 7900 GTX with a 9800 GT. It was great, and lasted me years.

So at the Xbox 360 launch you could build a single GPU system which would have been either competitive with, or outright outperforming the XB360 for at least a couple of years ...

Which is sort of what I said. If you intended to keep hold of your GPU for more than a couple of years then the 7800/7900 were bad, bad choices.

...while if you waited 2 months for the X1900XTX launch you could have had a GPU that was unequivocally more powerful that Xenos.

But unequivocally less advanced, and that aged worse (though much better than the shitty 7900) and that drew something like 3 ~ 5 times the power.

The interesting thing about Xenos was that MS went for a more advanced, "untested" architecture with a number of customisations. And it paid off for them big time. What they got in return for their power draw was far beyond what the market currently had. This is in stark contrast to the PS3 GPU and basically everything in the current generation.

No doubt the PC is getting harder to keep pace with, but this generation neither Sony or MS has been prepared to spend the dollar to try. And in Sony's case that's really paying off for them.

Clearly consoles were still in a very good position back then performance wise, but I think it shows that there's been a general trend away from high powered consoles for a long time. PS1 > PS2 > PS3 > PS4 when it comes to comparisons to PC's on their launch dates. And PS1 was really the last time that a console was clearly more powerful than the best single GPU PC's at the point it launched, and for some time after.

Nooo! Why does everyone forget the Dreamcast? Everyone forgets about the Dreamcst...

DC was clearly beyond the fasted dual GPU setup at the time tied to the fasted CPU at the time. More polys, higher opaque fill, massively higher IQ, far more advanced features (including normal mapping!!), far higher effective texture quality due to VQ texture compression ... it is the quintessential example of the console beasting everything (PC, console, arcade, high end simulators).

FEEL MY FANBOY PAIN. I'M SORRY ATARI AND AMIGA FANS I FEEL YOUR PAIN TOO.

Last edited:
But unequivocally less advanced, and that aged worse (though much better than the shitty 7900) and that drew something like 3 ~ 5 times the power.

Allow me to disagree. The R580 aged brilliantly throughout the later and most advanced DX9 titles like UT3, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Supreme Commander, etc.
Up to 2009, it could play every multiplatform game at 1080p with the same IQ settings as the X360.
TDP was 125W (less than first-gen X360?), but performance was almost 3x better too.

Allow me to disagree. The R580 aged brilliantly throughout the later and most advanced DX9 titles like UT3, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Supreme Commander, etc.
Up to 2009, it could play every multiplatform game at 1080p with the same IQ settings as the X360.
TDP was 125W (less than first-gen X360?), but performance was almost 3x better too.

Yeah, R580 probably did age better than I was giving it credit for. Perhaps I was thinking of the X1800 (only had one third of the pixel shaders)? R580 certainly ran rings around the 'equivalent' 7900 GTX later on, so much so that it only compounded my regret at buying the 7900 GTX.

XB360 had around 180W at the wall at launch, but the majority of that was the CPU + everything other than the GPU. GPU was something like 25 ~ 30 W iirc (can't find a source for that now afraid), but that's excluding memory and other board elements so not exactly comparable. Still , X1900 XT was well outside thermal limits of even the most power hungry generation of console. One of the pluses of the pc form factor though!

Heh I was talking with X via Skype. I asked him what does the Elite do better? Polygons? Framerate? AA? Resolution? Texture resolution?
EVERYTHING.
ITS OUT OF THIS WORLD!

I asked him: Does it play games at 60fps now?
Answer: ALL OF EM

I asked him to send me photo comparisons between the original and the Elite. Heh....I doubt he will send me any but if he does it would be interesting to see what that will be :p

Portuguese One... PCMANIAS.COM

I just saw the comments to the article in question (BTW first sentence: "A Microsoft desde há varios anos", com "h") and to be fair, the guy seems to be from Brazil where retail availability of gaming consoles and high-performance PC hardware is almost non-existent so they end up being pretty expensive to those who want it.

That said, that's probably a troll who doesn't even own a console or a decent gaming PC. He's just getting off from the teasing and responses he's getting, like pretty much all trolls.
Kudos to your patience, though.

I recently ran GTA5 on 3870 DDR3.
It worked, less than 30fps at 800x600 though.

the 7900 GTX aged like a turd.

I wouldn't disagree with that. I was just pointing out that for a couple of years or so, it actually provided an experience on par or better than the 360 (which would hold for the 7800GTX512 too). Which is a much better position that the GF3 Ti500 was in when the Xbox launched. It certainly did age rapidly after a certain point though.

I think you addressed this in a later post but I was talking about the R580 / 1900XTX which handled the whole last console generation very well as far as I'm aware.

Nooo! Why does everyone forget the Dreamcast? Everyone forgets about the Dreamcst...

Sorry, yes forgot about the Dreamcast. I remember being extremely impressed by Sonic adventure back in the day.

I recently ran GTA5 on 3870 DDR3.
It worked, less than 30fps at 800x600 though.

Yeah but to be fair, GTAV on PC isn't a port of the last gen console version, it's a port of the the XB1/PS4 version so the baseline requirements are going to be very different.

Someone should make a comparison between the PC version at 720p with everything as toned down as possible and the X360 versions.
My guess is it would take a *.ini edit to get an IQ as low as the X360's.

I just saw the comments to the article in question (BTW first sentence: "A Microsoft desde há varios anos", com "h") and to be fair, the guy seems to be from Brazil where retail availability of gaming consoles and high-performance PC hardware is almost non-existent so they end up being pretty expensive to those who want it.

Unfortunately part of them were lost. The conversation was happening at a time my host changed my webpage to a better server... And the last entries on the database were lost!

And yes.. He was from Brazil... And I agree with your arguments about their reality.

And it´s hard to deal with this stuff... Everytime I post something that states the obvious reality between consoles... I get attacked!

In 2013 I wrote several articles about the expected performance of both consoles and how PS4 hardware was more powerful... And I was attacked and called fanboy.

I proved all MisterXmedia theories wrong with several articles I also wrote.. And was called fanboy!

I wrote about the Xbox doesn't´t having any special hardware for the use of the cloud, and how any system can use it... I was a fanboy.

I spoke about the eSRAM and how it´s existence would be bad for Xbox on first generation games, although usage and performance would improve with time... I was a fanboy

I wrote about DX 12 not being a secret sauce but only an improvement on the existing Xbox One API. I was a fanboy.

I talked about assync compute, how it works and how the PS4 could increase the gap over the Xbox One with it´s use... I was a fanboy...

Pfff...

All those fanboys seem to like to read are the articles I write that are favorable to the Xbox (for example, like having a better CPU, or better overall bandwidth, etc). But in that case... I have the PS4 fanboys kicking my ass ;)

PS: You understand Portuguese?

Unfortunately part of them were lost. The conversation was happening at a time my host changed my webpage to a better server... And the last entries on the database were lost!

And yes.. He was from Brazil... And I agree with your arguments about their reality.

And it´s hard to deal with this stuff... Everytime I post something that states the obvious reality between consoles... I get attacked!

In 2013 I wrote several articles about the expected performance of both consoles and how PS4 hardware was more powerful... And I was attacked and called fanboy.

I proved all MisterXmedia theories wrong with several articles I also wrote.. And was called fanboy!

I wrote about the Xbox doesn't´t having any special hardware for the use of the cloud, and how any system can use it... I was a fanboy.

I spoke about the eSRAM and how it´s existence would be bad for Xbox on first generation games, although usage and performance would improve with time... I was a fanboy

I wrote about DX 12 not being a secret sauce but only an improvement on the existing Xbox One API. I was a fanboy.

I talked about assync compute, how it works and how the PS4 could increase the gap over the Xbox One with it´s use... I was a fanboy...

Pfff...

All those fanboys seem to like to read are the articles I write that are favorable to the Xbox (for example, like having a better CPU, or better overall bandwidth, etc). But in that case... I have the PS4 fanboys kicking my ass ;)

PS: You understand Portuguese?
where do you write articles?
You know insanity is contagious, right?
Dude he believes it so much that he makes me wonder.....is he that blind.....or could it be for real?
I ll start believing him

Back