The new Impreza - it's real

Phil

wipEout bastard
Veteran
From Pistonheads:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=16088

On Tuesday we ran a story showing pictures that claimed to be the new Subaru Impreza. We weren’t sure then whether they were genuine, but it appears they were the real deal.

Now we’ve got some more pictures from the States, apparently ‘liberated’ against Subaru’s wishes in advance of the New York motor show. It seems the hatchback profile, reminiscent of a BMW One Series or Mazda 3MPS, is reality.

subaru_01.jpg

subaru_02.jpg

:oops:

Hatchback? WTF! looks kind of weird...Almost like an Seat Ibiza from the rear.
Maybe they'll price to similar level as the Mazda 3 MPS that was mentioned as it offers quite a nice value, it's a shame though that it's only front wheel drive, but still same platform as Volvo S40/V40/Ford Focus and 260hp with low price tag makes it very appealing.

Someone at Pistonheads (I presume a staff member) had this to say:

adam_towler said:
Just got the official news from Subaru...there will be no WRX/turbo model in the UK - sadly as we suspected.

The range will be 1.5 and 2.0 litre petrol NA models arriving this autumn, with a 2.5 litre STi in early spring of next year. Expect the latter to have virtually identical outputs to the current car.

Japan and America will get a WRX, as well as a saloon version of the new car.

The official reason there is no turbo/WRX in the UK is.........because they've pledged to lower their overall CO2 output to the EU. This takes into account every product in your portfolio, so in dropping the Turbo model and concentrating on the regular cars, the overall figure should drop. Bye bye WRX. The STi survives because it sells in too smaller numbers to have the same influence.

They are targeting "1 series, Civic, Golf" with the new car.

Should have official pictures for you on monday, all being well.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?p=2&f=71&t=373353&h=0

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Shame that.

Although their reason is fairly important for the World.

Anyone that really wants one will import anyway.

Well to me it sounds like "ok let's not pollute in Europe, but instead let's do it in the other places" Anyways it seems changes are coming.

I can not, will not, want not to believe that it's for those reasons... what is happening in todays world? :???:

Then again, with this, they just may be opening a very lucrative market. The problem I see with Civic's, Golfs, Ibiza/Leons, Focus is that they are all, front wheel drive. With a AWD hatchback, they may be able to compete quite favorably with R32 and Audi S3s...

Though inspite of the new gorgeous looking Evo X - this is such a shame...

Well, I'll give them three years to get a nice new Impreza WRX replacement on the road. I need a new lease car by then. ;)

Make a hybrid one.

The world will love them, even though (as in the case of the latest Lexus Hybrid) it barely uses the electric motors :LOL:

While I love that it's now a hatchback, the car itself is just hideous. What the hell is up with that grill? And the altezza taillights? Nasty, and it looks exactly like a Kia Rio 5.

Good to see I'll still be correct when I say the best looking recent WRX isn't even a Subaru.

Sorry subie guys, I can never resist that jab. :)

Not to make the car bad or anything, but do they actually employ any designers or do they just use some sort of random shape generator? This thing is just butt-fugly, looks like a mid-80's Opel or such.

Not to make the car bad or anything, but do they actually employ any designers or do they just use some sort of random shape generator? This thing is just butt-fugly, looks like a mid-80's Opel or such.

They seem to be following BMW's 'flame' lead. The crease in the panels, the tail lights, and the front end all are very BMW-esque. Not that I particularly like it, but...

Hmmm... the sedan looks okay, but I also find that the photograph of the hatch doesn't seem to bug me as much as the artists' renderings which seem to exaggerate certain features (though every car gets some of that based on the viewing angle of the image). Though I still can't get the idea of a raked rear windshield on a hatchback... The whole point of a hatch ought to be utility, so why shrink the cargo room?

In any case, I have to go with Sxotty in that it looks generic to me. The only reason people mark it as ugly is because a hatch doesn't fit with their image of an Impreza. To me, there's nothing ugly or pretty about the car. It just has no defining characteristics -- it's not like it's a Pontiac Aztek. Everything about it is just so... "seen it a million times" kind of design decisions. Of course, people like to nitpick, and claim that they vomit at the sight of a 5-100 bolt pattern...

The late nineties model was the best looking imo. I hated the "Angry Chipmunk" bug eyed model, and both of the latest model even worse then it.

They seem to be following BMW's 'flame' lead. The crease in the panels, the tail lights, and the front end all are very BMW-esque. Not that I particularly like it, but...

Well, BMW seem to have realized their failure, the newer versions of 5 and 7 have been face-lifted in a more "traditional" manner.

Not to make the car bad or anything, but do they actually employ any designers or do they just use some sort of random shape generator?
It must be the latter, you develop cars (like you said), I am sure your opinion is a better representative of the the public than me.

This thing is just butt-fugly, looks like a mid-80's Opel or such.
It's not a design I particularly like but to say it's butt-fugly is like saying F1 cars are butt-fugly. Wait... F1 cars aren't ugly, right?

We're discussing a subjective topic, right? Even if you're a car developer?

Back