The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not with screenshots like these.

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/7898/1316_0003.jpg

Notice the aliasing on the bridge pillars and railings, the shadowmap on the A-pillar? That is a true 1080p image. IMO it (the AA, if theres any at all) looks average and thats on a 19 monitor. When you blow that up to 46", its not exactly gonna help it get any cleaner.

Depends what you mean by "1080p support". All I'm saying is that since PD have openly said that GT5P will run in 1080p native, they have now commited to that as a baseline for performance. Sure in 720p it could have extra power to do more physics but they cant do that anymore since 1080p is the baseline which would use up that extra power when using the higher resolution.

Personally I would have preferred 720p native with 1080p support in the method of scaling. Its probably simply because I'm a sim junkie and appreaciate damage. They'll be others who feel the opposite and would rather have a nice pretty 1080p take priority over a more realistic racer. Its just a matter of personal taste, neither is wrong and in the end they are only opinions.

PD never said they'd support native 1080p. They don't even now.

Personally I would have preferred 720p native with 1080p support in the method of scaling. Its probably simply because I'm a sim junkie and appreaciate damage. They'll be others who feel the opposite and would rather have a nice pretty 1080p take priority over a more realistic racer. Its just a matter of personal taste, neither is wrong and in the end they are only opinions.

I think that support for damage is not related to native 1080p support. They have claimed, and believably so, that they only want to do proper damage (compare, say, Burnout Paradise, as well as the behavioral stuff with broken machinery), and that is currently only possible on racing cars - for regular cars, there are still too many manufacturors that impose limits on what kind of damage they allow in a game. They say they are going to try to have it on the racing cars in the full game, which in the way GT games are usually set-up, should be doable - it would just mean not allowing a souped up road car to compete against racing cars, which is ok in my book.

Seeing 1080p on a TV that supports it, I must say that I understand they are going for it. It does look very, very good, even compared to 720p screens - and after all, we are dealing with twice the amount of detail here (although currently not everywhere, with the main in-game layer being 1280 or 1440 wide, depending on what version you're looking at, though apparently some of the overlays, like the speedometer, are then full 1920x1080p again).

So if they can do it, great. How much additional effort it costs them, I cannot say, and it is possible that maybe this effort isn't worth it. I can't tell at this point, but I lean towards thinking that it probably is worth it.

I doubt there is any link to the game running at 1080p and being able to achieve more physics calculations.

Also damage has already been promised even with the "restrictions" placed on them by 1080p, you really do seem, to me at least, to be just a nay sayer.

If people only did what they thought possible, there'd never be any progress. PD have aimed high and they will deliver and leave everyone scratching their heads question how the heck they did it.

GT5:p is already the best looking racing game I've seen, it's nearest rival in the looks department also runs at half the framerate.

Well, PD don't always deliver with everything (online in GT4, good enough AI in GT4 - mind you, it was a *lot* better, but not in a way that most people other than those into hybridding and such could notice :p - you have to know that in GT3 the cars were using power boosters for instance, whereas in GT4 they drove on the merit of their own AI), but the game sure enough already looks by far the best for a racing game and with 16 cars, and sixteen players online, this time also visibly improved AI (it avoids you even when side by side and you move towards it, even in a turn), great physics, and so on. I think i'll be able to live with Prologue for quite a while, and I'm very thankful I don't have to wait until GT5 comes out, which could be 2009, 2010, who knows. The wait for GT4 was definitely too long.

I was only referring to the graphics Arwin.

The AI has never been brilliant. Nothing pee'd me off more than getting a nice lead in one of the le man 24 hour races, only to find out when I got back from a break while in B-Spec mode I was now dead last, miles behind anyone because the stupid AI crashed into the barrier on the first straight and got "stuck" for 30 seconds each lap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also damage has already been promised even with the "restrictions" placed on them by 1080p, you really do seem, to me at least, to be just a nay sayer.

Dude, we all know they said "it" will have damage. They also didnt specify which GT game will do it.

He later explained that they are very "anal" about the details of this game and if they were to do damage, they want to do it with the same effort and quality as the rest of the game.

Personally I dont care what happens with GT5P, I'm waiting for GT5 like many others here. As long its AI and damage model is at least accurate as Forza 2, I'll be happy. If it surpasses that, then all the better.

Not with screenshots like these.

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/7898/1316_0003.jpg

Notice the aliasing on the bridge pillars and railings, the shadowmap on the A-pillar? That is a true 1080p image. IMO it (the AA, if theres any at all) looks average and thats on a 19 monitor. When you blow that up to 46", its not exactly gonna help it get any cleaner.

Depends what you mean by "1080p support". All I'm saying is that since PD have openly said that GT5P will run in 1080p native, they have now commited to that as a baseline for performance. Sure in 720p it could have extra power to do more physics but they cant do that anymore since 1080p is the baseline which would use up that extra power when using the higher resolution.

Guess what, it´s native 720p and 1080p.

Guess what, it´s native 720p and 1080p.
You just illustrated my point and missed it at the same time. If both are native, dont you think the 1080p mode would require more processing power? Thus it would be their performance baseline. I'm probably just doing a crappy job in trying to convey my message. I could try to explain it in more detail but it would end up confusing and boring to most people.:p

Ok heres a hopefully simple analogy...

If GOW was rendered only at 480p on the xbox360 while at the same framerate as the actual 720p version. Would Epic then have extra processig power to have things such as higher polygon count, higher AA, higher AF, more Dynamic Lights, higher texture res, Shadowmap res, more characters on screen...etc..etc?

As a parallel, the same theory applies to GT5, except we'd compare 720p to 1080p instead of the 480p vs 720p example given in the previous paragraph.

Just to be clear, I'm NOT saying that GT5 will be a crap game or trying to bag it at all. I am a HUUGGEEE GT fan. Its the reason I'll buy a PS3 on lauch day. I'm just chatting about design decisions.

As accurate as Forza does not imply that Forza is accurate, just that he wants GT5 to not be worse than Forza :D

Bingo.:D

Damage is accurate in Forza 2?

That is news to me and yes I have played it.

Visually you get scraped paint, broken windshield and a bit of smoke from the engine.

Physically you have different sections of the car that suffers damage, the damage amount linearly affects the effect the part has on the car. You can still drive away from most catastrophic crashes (albeit very slowly)

So, not exactly accurate, no.

But I think it does its job. It ensures discipline when you're driving in multiplayer games. If you drive too aggressively your car suffers damage (in particular to the aero-dynamical package) and your performace suffer as a result.

A much bigger problem in F2 is the AI. Ridiculously aggressive on hard when driving R1/R2 class cars where even the slightest damage to your aerodynamics kills your chances of a good performance. And the complete lack of blue flag logic. It's a royal pain in the *rse to have an R1 endurance race end on lap 30 because the AI controlled car you are lapping does something insane.

Cheers

I doubt there is any link to the game running at 1080p and being able to achieve more physics calculations.

Well, you could certianly link resolution to physics performance since game is using SPU's to render graphics as well as the GPU. More power needed for graphics, means less power for physics.

And we have been promised "Good AI, "Online multiplayer" along with other things since GT3, so far it seems that GT5P is the first game that will actually deliver that...

If people only did what they thought possible, there'd never be any progress. PD have aimed high and they will deliver and leave everyone scratching their heads question how the heck they did it.

You realize that humans work in PD right? PD has yet to make a perfect driving game. They allways aim high, all devs with high budgets do, that doesn't mean they will deliver on everything. PD said GT4 would have proper online and proper AI. The AI was dumb as hell (it just goes on the same railroad every time), and the online is laughable. I still thought that GT4 was the best driving game last gen, but they certainly didn't deliver on everything they promised, they are just as human as other developers.

Personally, im fine with no damage, over manufacturer limited damage, because thats just boring (forza2).

GT5:p is already the best looking racing game I've seen, it's nearest rival in the looks department also runs at half the framerate.

Dude, aside from GT games having the best graphics ever, GT games have never bested anything except for maybe driving feel. For all other aspects, atleast until GT5 is out, GT games haven't really bested anything but graphics and amount of cars.

While PD certainly in my book make great games, maybe even the best games that i play, just because GT5 is made by PD, it doesn't mean its gonna be the best driving game ever in all aspects. It mainly just means its gonna look really really good and have lots of cars.

While GT5 will probably be an excellent game, i would recommend you to stop thinking that everything PD touches becomes to perfect games, because GT games have been far from perfect in the past.

You just illustrated my point and missed it at the same time. If both are native, dont you think the 1080p mode would require more processing power? Thus it would be their performance baseline. I'm probably just doing a crappy job in trying to convey my message. I could try to explain it in more detail but it would end up confusing and boring to most people.:p

The game was developed with both resolutions as targets, it´s not very hard to understand the principle.

I understand your point but i am not sure there would be any big benefits since this game clearly had two target resolutions from the start. I don´t think there is 25% more power left in 720p compared to 1080p. If anything there may be a bit more headroom on LOD, framedrops,shadows and all kind of things that can be controlled dynamic. On the other hand you have 4xAA eating power as well.

Well GT games are not perfect but they are NOT too far from perfect as u suggested.

GT1 - 96/100
GT2- 93/100
GT3 - 95/100
GT4 - 89/100

http://www.metacritic.com/search/process?sort=relevance&termType=all&ts=gran+turismo&ty=3&x=0&y=0

GT is first and foremost a driving simulator, which means that 99% of the reviewers aren't competent enough to review this game in terms of how good of a sim it is.

Further, getting a high review score doesn't mean the game is close to perfect.

Certainly not if you want to know which game is the best racing simulator. Which is what PD and all other simulator racing developers aim for.

All the reviewers can do, is mostly just rate the graphics, how the game feels, and how many cars and tracks and how the sound is. GT gets super scores on that acount, and looking at the amount of content its a very good deal vs price.

Dont get me wrong, i totally agree that its a great game, and probably the racing game i enjoyed the most, but its still far from perfect, and their games are certainly not cutting edge on all areas like some here try to portray them to be.

And just because you can show me that GT games scored this and that, you cannot possibly make an argument that has any relevant information. GT4 is better than GT3, but yet it was rated alot worse. (This mostly i think, because the improvements wheren't all that many, and because Forza 1 brought alot stuff that GT4 promised on, but never managed to deliver on).

I do hope you realize, that my post is not to drag down GT5 in anyway, its an argument against blind fanatics who aren't far from claiming that GT5 will be perfect and have perfect damage and will not be restrained by the same laws of coding that normal games are. (DJ12, claiming there is no link between resolution and physics performance, amongst other things) and basically arguing that since GT5P looks better than anything out there, everything else in that game will have that same level of quality (graphics have allways been first priority for PD)...

I think its pretty obvious that GT is very much on top of its game when people can no longer find anything to argue about other than 'how far it is from perfect'. Seriously, its time to step back and think about that.

I'm also pretty surprised that nobody has pointed out the fault in assuming using SPUs to help in graphics at 1080p vs 720p automatically takes away substantially from the ability to use the CPU system for physics. Isn't this supposed to be around the time Mintmaster comes in and lectures everyone on how easy it is to do do perfect physics on a 386?

On another subject: I never got a clear answer on this, so hopefully you guys can give insight.

I am one of those people who are wondering why Lamborghinis and Porsches are not featured on GT games (aside the lambo from GT3, are there any others?)

One story says its because Lambo/Porsche demands alot financially from PD/Sony, to which they wont comply

Another story being that both companies have exclusive contracts to other publishers to have their cars featured exclusively for those companies (ex. EA and MGS)

Or is it neither? I'd to know so I can help out a poor chap in the future ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back