The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if I want to be associated with the audience that the NASCAR license will open GT up to... =)

At very high levels of realism, oval racing is actually quite fun. I used to play Indy 500 on a PC a fair bit when I was 14, maybe even younger? I liked it a lot. In GT5 Prologue also, driving extremely high speeds when the grip is starting to give out and the draft varies your grip, driving on the edge, it's very exciting. Make no mistake, I love the other (Nurburg) Ring more, but I understand the attraction ... when doing it, not watching ;). And the Nascar cars look great. They're probably a bitch to drive but it can still be fun to take them to other tracks. Nascar race on Le Mans?

I think that some of you are overreacting on the NASCAR thing.

I am not fun of Nascar either. Actually I consider it as one of the least interesting racing events.

Despite that I am happy to see it in there because it shows that GT is trying to be a complete racing sim.

Personally I dont think sources are sacrificed in other features. I believe that the features that we were going to get without a NASCAR event would have been the same. The expense comes in the form of bigger costs and more time invested.

These licenses are actually a great step. I can imagine GT not only as a separate racing game, but as product where all car manufacturers and events would gather together to form a complete racing experience.

GT is becoming something more than just a game. Its importance IMO in the car industry is becoming huge.

The presence of PD at the Tokyo Motor Show shaking hands with car manufacturing executives, the simultaneous unveiling of the new Skyline at the show and in the demo and PD's involvement in the development of the GT-R multifunctional display are only the beginning.

Seeing real racing event licenses in GT handled by PD makes me piss in my pants. They fell in great hands.

Can you imagine the huge potential of Gran Turismo in the future?

More licences, even if you hate the racing, which it's fair to say most people not living in the South of the USA do, it means more real world tracks should be availlable so everyone wins.

Don't Nascars run on at least one circuit with left and right turns?

Funny man. But just like WRC, Nascar caters to all type. Everything from Lawyers to models to actors to politicians to programmers to...well every walk of life. :p

Just because most of us don't like it doesn't immediately mean all fans are inbreds. I've seen quite a few scary backwoods types at WRC events also...

Sometimes it just comes down to the simple fact that different people like different things. :) And if this license opens up GT to 10s of millions more potential buyers that kudos for them for going after it.

Regards,
SB

With the state the WRC is in atm, the rally cars are moreso for nostalgia for me. Then theres Nascar which is "meh" for me. As long as they focus mainly on production cars and production car racing (supergt, lm, btc, dtm..etc...) I'm happy.

I like the Rally part. Driving the Grand Canyon track in GT4 is still by far the best Rally experience I've had on any console in terms of believeable drive model and realistic driving. I'd be interested to hear someone say other games did a better job and why. Colin hasn't been realistic for ages. Burns was a lot more realistic, but they didn't nail it quite as well as GT4 did, and support for wheel controllers was much weaker also.

I like the Rally part. Driving the Grand Canyon track in GT4 is still by far the best Rally experience I've had on any console in terms of believeable drive model and realistic driving. I'd be interested to hear someone say other games did a better job and why. Colin hasn't been realistic for ages. Burns was a lot more realistic, but they didn't nail it quite as well as GT4 did, and support for wheel controllers was much weaker also.

Okay, I'm a fully paid up member of the Gran Turismo Appreciation Society, but I must disagree here. Certainly in comparison to RBR, which is still IMO the only game with an even close to accurate simulation of 4WD on loose surfaces. The way you can (or perhaps, have to) learn how to execute Scandinavian flicks and proper use of power and brakes through corners in a realistic manner to get anywhere in RBR, whereas in GT it always seemed to be lengthy, consistent drifts and sluggish steering even in supposed 4WD cars.

GT rallying is fun in it's own way, sure, but working away at the wheel and pedals, searching for grip and reacting to the car in RBR is in marked difference to the casual drifting approach in GT. IMO, of course.

EDIT: I've just remembered there were console versions of RBR, which perhaps you are referring to. All the above applies to the PC version of RBR and I doubt that the console versions offer a similar experience.

Have you ever driven the Subaru WRC Rally Cars in GT4 and driven a no-assists lap across the Grand Canyon track, using the Driving Force Pro wheel and everything set to Professional... ?

What is the reason of the delay?

From Eurogamer

"I want to release it as fast as I can," Yamauchi told us, "but GT5 for us, when you talk about its status, it's at a point we can release it any time we want, but we can always keep working on it. It's very important for us to make sure everything is done perfectly and everything is done in detail."

I guess that doesn't really provide a satisfactory answer though ...

it's probably more a question of content. I suspect the game engine and tracks are complete, but there are still lots of details that can be improved or sorted out. They probably also have perhaps more cars (or variations of existings cars) to finish and include into the game. It probably just depends on the 'package' Sony or they want to launch with.

Personally, I think we can nail it down for a holiday release based on his comments.

Espeicially in this "game patches are OK for consoles too" era

Have you ever driven the Subaru WRC Rally Cars in GT4 and driven a no-assists lap across the Grand Canyon track, using the Driving Force Pro wheel and everything set to Professional... ?

Probably, but I'll give it a go over the weekend to refresh my memory though (with Logitech MOMO Racing Force). If it stood up anywhere close to RBR I'm sure I would have remembered.

Ever driven a high powered 4wd on gravel\dirt in real life?

GT4 rally still lacks a lot. I guess its very hard to accurately model a surface that is soft and constantly changing, and how cars react to it.

GT4 rally still lacks a lot. I guess its very hard to accurately model a surface that is soft and constantly changing, and how cars react to it.

Thats because you are driving from yoru coach.

I tried GT4 in a simulation cabinet that simulated G-forces and steering wheel forces. The control was almost as real as the real thing.

Have you?

I have and no rally game is what I would call true to life. I remember believing all the hype about 4x4 once, first bit of Snow I booted my Impreza went nowhere fast (unless you count sideways like a crab as going somewhere)

When I first played GT "Rally" I thought it sucked too, but having lived with a tuned Subaru for 7 years I know think it's not that far from reality.

Have you?

I have and no rally game is what I would call true to life. I remember believing all the hype about 4x4 once, first bit of Snow I booted my Impreza went nowhere fast (unless you count sideways like a crab as going somewhere)

When I first played GT "Rally" I thought it sucked too, but having lived with a tuned Subaru for 7 years I know think it's not that far from reality.

At least it was snow . All it took for me to fly off was a wet road , and mine was not tuned. I still blame it on those crappy Toyos though :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back