The Game Technology discussion thread *Read first post before posting*

Very interesting and match what Capcom said about Framework MT engine a few years ago that the Xenos GPU was able to play much of a G80/8800GTX could offer.

You could tell which link/presentation to this site specifically appears that information?

And in these presentations appears some information about the ps3?

I found this* information that I understand they dont use for their porposes SPUs in graphic aspect intensively for lack of memory space.

* It seens Crysis 2 in ps3 is RSX based:

"The SPUs do indeed allow for easing the workload for the RSX. We decided not to go too crazy in this direction as it requires render targets and assets to reside in main memory. We are able to run skinning for example on SPUs as well, but we could not afford the additional memory required in the end," Glück explains".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-making-of-crysis-2?page=2

Now imho the 1024x720p choice seem pretty clear... what have done with the RSX is even more we can expect with it...

Now imho the 1024x720p choice seem pretty clear... what have done with the RSX is even more we can expect with it...

In fact something like 95% of the resolution of the x360 version with much of the shaders and particle effects is a major achievement for the RSX, but stay a thought that could be better if in the words Crytech used SPUs as "coprocessors" graphics... but that's another story.

In fact something like 95% of the resolution of the x360 version with much of the shaders and particle effects is a major achievement for the RSX, but stay a thought that could be better if in the words Crytech used SPUs as "coprocessors" graphics... but that's another story.

The problem it's the most of the graphic is writen in the main memory (reading the post above, so mean even a lot less RAM if I understood right); so, maybe, imho, I'm not so wrong when I have said that engine is simply porting on the ps3 & not rewrite considering the spu how fundamental support for the graphic process of the ancient RSX... I don't see how cryengine could even considered so revolutionary on the ps3 when even UE3 does more from this point of view; it just work how the most of the first multiplat engine on the ps3 in the past 2007 IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting and match what Capcom said about Framework MT engine a few years ago that the Xenos GPU was able to play much of a G80/8800GTX could offer.

I had a 8800 GTS 320 up until recently... and from what I can tell most multiplatform games run quite a lot better on the G80 than on consoles. The most recent titles I played were Bulletstorm and Crysis 2, both could be played at higher than 720P, though framerate wasn't really stable anymore... but this isn't the case on the consoles either. And that was with a meager Athlon X2 3800+, a 2Ghz dualcore CPU.

And looking at what I paid for it (about a month before the European PS3 launch), it's just out of this league, too. Plus the heat that thing produced was just abnormal^^

I think I remember they only talked about vertex processing or some part was able to keep up or something, not the whole GPU. The old article was in Japanese if i remember correctly, with some rough translation. I had an GF8800GT, no way at all 360 can keep with it with all the console ports pc games.

The problem it's the most of the graphic is writen in the main memory (reading the post above, so mean even a lot less RAM if I understood right); so, maybe, imho, I'm not so wrong when I have said that engine is simply porting on the ps3 & not rewrite considering the spu how fundamental support for the graphic process of the ancient RSX... I don't see how cryengine could even considered so revolutionary on the ps3 when even UE3 does more from this point of view; it just work how the most of the first multiplat engine on the ps3 in the past 2007 IMHO.

I totally agree about being just a port, because the PS3 SPUs really are fundamental to almost everything and especially the graphic aspect skinning, culling, post processing AA / MLAA and even shaders effects (frostbite engine 2) but the staff crytech was not bad in the GPU aspect and faces with about 30 to 50MB less VRAM/RAM (OS footprint, triple buffer or framebuffer generaly greater tham 10MB eDRAM on x360) less tham x360, but it certainly could have done better had they used more of the SPUs. In the end it seems that this engine is not fully customized for the small amount of RAM the current game consoles.

I think I remember they only talked about vertex processing or some part was able to keep up or something, not the whole GPU. The old article was in Japanese if i remember correctly, with some rough translation. I had an GF8800GT, no way at all 360 can keep with it with all the console ports pc games.

Yes, that's exactly, was the aspect of geometry that he compared with G80.

I had a 8800 GTS 320 up until recently... and from what I can tell most multiplatform games run quite a lot better on the G80 than on consoles. The most recent titles I played were Bulletstorm and Crysis 2, both could be played at higher than 720P, though framerate wasn't really stable anymore... but this isn't the case on the consoles either. And that was with a meager Athlon X2 3800+, a 2Ghz dualcore CPU.

And looking at what I paid for it (about a month before the European PS3 launch), it's just out of this league, too. Plus the heat that thing produced was just abnormal^^

Gitaroo brought us recall that the capcon article talked about the aspect geometry comparable to the G80. And actually this GPU(g80) has at least 50% more capacity than the Xenos GPU shaders (something like 330Gflops G80 versus 240 on Xenos).

Didn't know where to put this...

http://www.crytek.com/cryengine/presentations

Interesting bit :smile:

Seemed like GPU wasn't as big of problem as CPU was.Hopefully they will do even better in 360 exclusive even though Crysis 2 was pretty amazing looking game on 360.

Can't they run physics on Xenos? Then they'll only be CPU bound due to AI.

Didn't know where to put this...

http://www.crytek.com/cryengine/presentations

Interesting bit :smile:

Seemed like GPU wasn't as big of problem as CPU was.Hopefully they will do even better in 360 exclusive even though Crysis 2 was pretty amazing looking game on 360.

And blaming Crytek for not fully taking advantage of the SPUs and relying on RSX to do most of the graphics work is fine - except for the fact that their levels are much bigger than the likes of Uncharted or Killzone and so they were hindered by the PS3s lack of RAM as they themselves have stated. So not much they could do there (besides paring back the levels and compromising the 360 version, so that the game would run better on PS3)

Well they can't just say "hey, let's throw all of the physics on the GPU". The Xbox GPU is only going to be well-suited to a subset of physics calculations, and even just having those could quickly put the GPU over budget. Plus there's issues with latency.

And blaming Crytek for not fully taking advantage of the SPUs and relying on RSX to do most of the graphics work is fine - except for the fact that their levels are much bigger than the likes of Uncharted or Killzone and so they were hindered by the PS3s lack of RAM as they themselves have stated. So not much they could do there (besides paring back the levels and compromising the 360 version, so that the game would run better on PS3)

I don't understand the relations with the SPU & bigger levels, killzone 3 level's have pretty impressive dimensions... by the way, if we forget for a second crytek, what we should have said if somebody else would have done something like that to optimize an engine on the ps3? It's not a blame of crytek to notice that, but I think it's pretty obvious how tough became for the poor ps3, leave the main graphic process only on the RSX... The job of crytek is excellent on the RSX, but would been more interesting to see how an intense work of the SPU support would have changed the things ( I think of frontsibe 2).

Crytek themselves write in their documentation on the vertex processing weakness of the RSX and how this could be mitigated by SPE use, something they would probably be looking into in future iterations ... There are several such comments throughout the docs where they think there is room for improvement.

Crytek themselves write in their documentation on the vertex processing weakness of the RSX and how this could be mitigated by SPE use, something they would probably be looking into in future iterations ... There are several such comments throughout the docs where they think there is room for improvement.

Interesting. Oh I don't want to blame Crytek in anything in the previous post, I just talking how works the engine on the ps3, limited to the main ram for the graphic process without even the spe support. I think the engine has lost a lot of potential considering the 'limits' follow to crytek in crysis 2 process development. Talking of RSX, their job remain untouchable, I hardly believe the only RSX can do something like crysis 2 before that.

PO don't suit well in a big screen... the thing more irritating is the proclaim bullshit of kojima about the HD remake; I remember something like 'not a porting but a rewrite edition suited for the HD console but where? Isn't it just the same identical graphic just ported HD or I'm wrong? Even the texture appears exactly the same...

fxaa implementation on 360 is a higher quality setting. look at the left curtain edge, fairly long straight lines but much smoother on 360. higher fxaa setting looks at more neighboring pixels, its not really surprising since its gpu calculated. also some weird pixel artifacting on the girl on the ps3 version. but i have to say i did not expect this game to be 1280x720(or very close to) since alot of the prerelease shots were pretty sub hd.

xbox-360-rollover_04.jpg

ps3-rollover_04.jpg

IMHO I highly doubt the choice of FXAA depends of the different power of the GPU...

IMHO I highly doubt the choice of FXAA depends of the different power of the GPU...

more gpu resources better results. there are alot of higher quality presets for fxaa. so deus ex human revolution is the first console game to have fxaa :)

Back