The Framerate Analysis Thread part 2

The PS3 version has AF while the 360 appears to have none in some of those Lens shots. The difference is huge and although the PS3 version runs 25% slower, I think Lens correctly gave the victory to PS3 because the AF difference is enourmous.

They really couldn't find a way to turn the AF on on 360? Terrible. We've seen a couple 360 game comparisons note better AF on 360 recently (MW2 for one, was Tekken 6 the other? Cant recall) but in this case it's back to the PS3 trumping the 360 in AF.

They said PS3 also has less pop in although it wasnt really proved in the shots. 360 has better water reflections, but that will not come up very often in game compared to AF.

Mod: Friendly reminder that this is the Framerate thread. Pointing out PS3 has AF is marginally relevant, but you other points belong in the Game Tech thread. I'll leave your post up complete as an example of what not to do so other can compare with points they may be typing that need to be moved!

the US demo of bayonetta came out, the 360 version seems to play pretty much the same, though it did feel like there was a bit less tearing and a bit more smoother in framerate.

anyhow, people are reporting the ps3 version to have made an improvement, particularly in framerate and in performance.

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/bayonetta-s-demo-already-impro/975942?page=1

also the US demo's file size has made an increase too. (of 500 mbs, ps3 demo)

it seem pretty interesting, the demo is out now.

The 360 demo here in Europe is something like 785MB, just downloaded the PS3 demo which is more than double that size. I assume it's a different level though as the clock tower level wasn't in the PS3 version in the Japanese version.

EDIT: yeah, the PS3 version seems to be the start of the game. Tearing galore, right through the screen. Sometimes I even think it looks like double tearing, but that could just be me.

the US demo of bayonetta came out, the 360 version seems to play pretty much the same, though it did feel like there was a bit less tearing and a bit more smoother in framerate.

anyhow, people are reporting the ps3 version to have made an improvement, particularly in framerate and in performance.

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/bayonetta-s-demo-already-impro/975942?page=1

it seem pretty interesting, the demo is out now.

To be honest I haven't noticed great differences in the fps on the ps3 version. Maybe just a bit but no more; indeed I have noticed some more light effect in the transparancies I can't explain and the smoke in the ground during who I haven't noticed before in the battle but I could wrong .

You would need to play both in order to see the difference. And they are quite different. The framerate especially.

Digital Foundry Twitter said:
Bayonetta EU demo is 500MB larger than the JP one. Quick FPS check... Performance remains much the same: http://yfrog.com/08bayo000jx

So it doesn't seem to be.

I'd guess audio, but that's just me....

The 360 demo here in Europe is something like 785MB, just downloaded the PS3 demo which is more than double that size. I assume it's a different level though as the clock tower level wasn't in the PS3 version in the Japanese version.

I am not seeing much change from the performance of the JP demo.

EDIT: AlStrong beat me to it with my own tweet :)

I'd guess audio, but that's just me....

well from what i was thinking, the ps3 version gets an extended Lv over the 360 version followed by an other peace of gameplay after that. what the 360 demo gets is the falling clock tower, which it's one area that you keep dropping in elevation. so that could be the reason for it's size.

on the other hand it could also be the result of bloated coding, or a difference in the file formats both ps3 and 360 use for their demos.

It is enough evident even to the eyes. I don't understand how someone perceive the opposite.

yeah, that's what i was thinking. even the shots that the people were producing at gametrailers didn't seem to show up with any evidence to support a change in visuals.

the rumor all started cause there was news that sony was to aid in the development in the US/Europe version.

the US/Europe demo seems to be bigger than the Japanese demo, but to my eyes there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary as well.

btw, thanks ps360 and AlStrong for the links.:smile2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Could I request an analysis of Call of Duty Classic? To anyone who has the game, does it target 60fps?

It would also actually be nice to see what the game looks like, there's barely any media of the game anywhere ;)

Could I request an analysis of Call of Duty Classic? To anyone who has the game, does it target 60fps?

It's v-sync, double buffer. From what I could tell, it is 60fps with the drops to 30fps as a result of the double buffer (XBLA). Triple buffer probably would have saved it...

To Cops : the sony fixing of bayonetta seems more a rumour but I guess surely not in this demo. The rumour is recentest.

To Cops : the sony fixing of bayonetta seems more a rumour but I guess surely not in this demo. The rumour is recentest.

yeah, it seems so, or maybe sony didn't work on demo but on the full game it's self, but if that was true then the Japanese and US/Europe demo would then weigh the same.

i think the change in size might just be patches that were added for stability in the US/EU version, or possibly just bloated coding.

either way the file size seems bigger than the Japanese demo, so there probably was some tampering going on. (whether it was good tampering or useless tampering i don't know.)

Coding tweaks do not incur 500MB bloat, and this is all off-topic for an fps analysis thread any way. You could always check for multi-language support first, bearing in mind that the JP demo only supported Japanese. Bearing in mind that the cut-scenes and boss finishing moves often drop to 20fps, I really am surprised they don't just offload them onto BD as FMVs.

Coding tweaks do not incur 500MB bloat

yeah i just now thought about that, most patches are only about 2 mbs (15 is the maximum Ive seen.)

from what i played i think the Japanese and US/EU demo is only in english. (dialog wise)......i don't know, anyways yeah this is all off topic.

the performance of the US demo is more or less the the same, but seemingly with a consistent 30 fps. ( and with actually more notable screen tearing)

im rather surprised that call of duty classic on 360 has some Framerate drops.
a game from 2003? im guessing its just lazy coding.

Back