The Framerate Analysis Thread part 2

No 1080p Capture Tool

Couldn't you adjust your tool to process 1920x540@60Hz from 1920x1080@30Hz?

All Xbox 360/PS3 games in 1080i are using a 1080p frame buffer, so the performance testing should be the same this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't you adjust your tool to process 1920x540@60Hz from 1920x1080@30Hz?

All Xbox 360/PS3 games in 1080i are using a 1080p frame buffer, so the performance testing should be the same this way.

It is not possible to count accurately.

1080p@60=> 1,1,2,2,3,3
1080i@30 => 1+1',2+2',3+3'

1<>1'

Isn't it the case that:

1080p: Frame 1, Frame 2 etc.

1080i: Frame 1 consists of parts of both frame 1 and frame 2 from 1080p mode.

Field 1 = 50% of Frame 1, Field 2= 50% of Frame 2...

I might be wrong because I just capture 1080p, but I thought that 1080i is just two frames combined into one to save bandwidth.

1080i60 should by two distinct 1920x540 images, the alternating lines of a 1080p30 stream. You should get 60 separate (half height) frames per second.

Edit : I don't know how that's reconstructed on modern progressive scan TVs. I guess alternate fields are interleaved, so you'll have 1+1' on frame one, 1' + 2 on the next frame 1/60th second later, 2 + 2' after that, 2' + 3, etc.

Yes, but on the Intensity Pro capture card, it supplies 29.97fps, with the two frames incorporated into one in the manner I have described.

The video would need to be converted to 1920x540@60Hz for analysis. Avisynth should be able to do this.

The only issue I would imagine would be a lower accuracy in tracking torn frames owing to the reduced vertical resolution.

1080i Capture

Field1 <> Field2

1.Frame1(540p)

2.Frame2(540p)

Field1 = Field2

3.Frame1(540p)

4.Frame2(540p)

4 differs from 3 delicately.

Ah of course, it is obvious... a duplicate frame in 1080p will be spread across two unique fields in 1080i, therefore different enough to make an accurate analysis impossible. Thanks for clearing that up :)

The final game runs mostly above 40 FPS.
And the tearing is not as noticeable as in that video.
It appears to be on screen for a longer time in a video than what it is in actual game

Infact I was surprised to see how less distracting the tearing in this game was given that it tears almost every odd frame.

It appears to be on screen for a longer time in a video than what it is in actual game

Infact I was surprised to see how less distracting the tearing in this game was given that it tears almost every odd frame.

The tearing is the same of the demo from what I have seen in the others streaming video of the full version.

The tearing is the same of the demo from what I have seen in the others streaming video of the full version.

I meant to say that when looking at a streaming video & comparing that to what you have in when playing it...it looks far too worse in the video since the tearing appears onscreen for twice the amount of time.

That's still far closer to 30 than 60, and that is why the tearing is so noticeable. It's a very odd decision to not lock it at 30fps when so much of the game is far closer to that than the 60fps which would alleviate much of the tearing.
I've played the demo twice on my 360, it absolutely is. I'm hardly seeing things:

IGN's review said:
There's also some significant screen tearing, clipping and aliasing that constantly pops up throughout the game.

Lens of Truth review said:
Now for those beautiful visuals…the games double edged sword. They come at a very high price, because CoJ has some of the worst screen tearing I’ve ever seen. So bad in fact, it was hard to capture a screenshot of an action scene without seeing the screen tear somewhere.

I meant to say that when looking at a streaming video & comparing that to what you have in when playing it...it looks far too worse in the video since the tearing appears onscreen for twice the amount of time.

Forgive me but CoJ has an worsen tearing seen in a game, probably you notice less when you play (a common placebo effect, red faction does the same effect to me) but really not change too much to the demo from the final build.

Forgive me but CoJ has an worsen tearing seen in a game, probably you notice less when you play (a common placebo effect, red faction does the same effect to me) but really not change too much to the demo from the final build.

You are still getting me wrong. :smile:
I am not saying its less in the final build than the demo,its obvious that the tearing is more or less the same in both builds.

I'm rather saying if you judge the effect tearing has on the game by streaming videos then its not right ,since streaming videos shows the torn frame on screen for twice as long as it is while you are playing it yourself from the console.

Back