Technical Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's ~2.2x the pixels. The resolution going up is not surprising, for PS2->PS3 gen the jump was higher (3x for 480P). With 1080P being the ceiling any extra horsepower has to be used somewhere else, but most games never went near 1080P this gen.

I don't believe dead rising and dead rising 2 was 720p btw but regardless the leap still looks very good

Last edited by a moderator:
You been busy again lol

Looks like a fanboys attempt at damage control.

Lets see what df have to say.

Forza looked very unresponsive and had no sense of speed at all so I doubt its anywhere near 60 fps just yet if that is indeed the target.

I have seen some gameplay videos from Forza 5 (4 videos) and all seem great, framerate and graphics.

From the IGN hands-on:

But laying my hands on the controller (more on that part specifically in just a moment) put a big fat Forza smile on my face. The game genuinely does look that good -- there won't be any mistaking it for the stellar Forza 4, which itself was a beautiful thing until I sat down with Forza 5 and ruined Forza 4 for myself forever. The new next-gen iteration runs in 1080p resolution at a butter-smooth 60 frames per second.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/e3-2013-forza-motorsport-5-hands-on

I guess you're confused with Dead Rising 3.

Heat pipes are sealed. You can see the "crimped"/soldered ends (one of the ends of each pipe.) So everything is sealed inside. Neat little idea that works well.

hmmm, I see. It may come to an advantage if xbox is the only one using it. water coolers give up to a 85% efficiency rate for overclocking. It would be nice to see what the inside of Ps4 looks like in comparison.

The dimensions of the PS4 and Xbox One have settled. The PS4 is significantly smaller by a reputable margin. The xbox one is almost 2x the size in total area space.

ps4vsxboxonesize-3.jpg

ps4vsxboxonesize-1.jpg

console_comparison.jpg

The visual comparison of the Ps4 and XB1 could be easily discerned as comparing cubes VS rectangles, Diced VS whole, and split matte paint job VS... Split Matte paint job. :neutral:

But I'm surprised by how much Efficiency the PS4 is boasted to have inside of their tiny little box, that's very commendable. Microsoft has the money, price point and space inside of the XB1 for more efficient accommodations... plus a freaking water cooler to boot.

Microsoft should just do away with the things that are causing the console great pressure and opt for more cooperative parts. the XB1's casing can actually fit 2 high end laptops. (with the LCD screens taken out.)

hmmm, I see. It may come to an advantage if xbox is the only one using it. water coolers give up to a 85% efficiency rate for overclocking. It would be nice to see what the inside of Ps4 looks like in comparison.

The dimensions of the PS4 and Xbox One have settled. The PS4 is significantly smaller by a reputable margin. The xbox one is almost 2x the size in total area space.

ps4vsxboxonesize-3.jpg

ps4vsxboxonesize-1.jpg

console_comparison.jpg

The visual comparison of the Ps4 and XB1 could be easily discerned as comparing cubes VS rectangles, Diced VS whole, and split matte paint job VS... Split Matte paint job. :neutral:

But I'm surprised by how much Efficiency the PS4 is boasted to have inside of their tiny little box, that's very commendable. Microsoft has the money, price point and space inside of the XB1 for more efficient accommodations... plus a freaking water cooler to boot.

Microsoft should just do away with the things that are causing the console great pressure and opt for more cooperative parts. the XB1's casing can actually fit 2 high end laptops. (with the LCD screens taken out.)

Vapor chamber/heat pipes are not water cooling.

Ya, I'm not sure where this water cooled thing came from, eastman said the same. They are heatpipes, they move the heat via the copper itself. Most good CPU and GPU coolers use heatpipes of some sort.

Vapor chamber/heat pipes are not water cooling.

two sources say it's either Vapor or water. either way both have a substantial efficiency rate for overclocking. but what i mean is the space that that whole module consumes is overkill. The PS4 as a mater of fact is most likely not using it, doesn't have to.

What microsoft should do is just use one of AMD's best efficient laptops and refit that module they have in mind for 2x the results and half of research and development costs tuning the yields out. if it means delivering a stable product to millions of consumers.

Heat pipes are not water cooling and they're nothing new or clever.... they've been around forever...

And they're technically classed as phase change cooling.

The X1 just looks like it's big because they wanted it to be quiet and easy to manufacture. The layout inside the box is incredibly simple, and it's a single PCB. They can fit a large fan that will be quiet. It's very straightforward. Probably not the size people want, but it looks like they'd be quick to build and quick to teardown to service.

How can you say it has a better finish when you've not seen or held either of them in your hands?

Just from the photos and the video.

PS4 seems to use a close-to-PS2slim type gray matte finish.

XB1 uses the imo nicer piano black of the PS3fat.
It looks more like a highend audio component

All I know is PS3 and Xbox 360 original were incredibly ugly. Glad they both simplified their boxes. I'll have to see them in person to decide which I like more.

The xbox one has heat pipes so it does have liquid cooling.
Heat pipes aren't liquid cooling. They are a means to transfer heat quickly using phase change. The heat then passes into the heatsink and finally to the air directly. Liquid cooling uses liquid as a medium to absorb the heat from the processors without changing state, before that heat is finally radiated out into the air.

I think it's just copper heatpipes dumping the heat into the enormous heatsink to be cooled by a large, slow fan.

Heat pipes are not water cooling and they're nothing new or clever.... they've been around forever...

And they're technically classed as phase change cooling.

would you say the setup inside of the xbox one is "more" or "less" efficient then necessary? given the size of the console.

If both Sony and Microsoft are using the same architecture but with sony being the only ones with the higher clock speeds, then why is Microsoft using a massive setup?

The X1 just looks like it's big because they wanted it to be quiet and easy to manufacture. The layout inside the box is incredibly simple, and it's a single PCB. They can fit a large fan that will be quiet. It's very straightforward. Probably not the size people want, but it looks like they'd be quick to build and quick to teardown to service.

that's what i was thinking, the placements of everything needs no 1 million dollar factory to replace or pluck out. the encasing of the xbox one is more than enough space for AMD to work with.

It may be possible that microsoft is just over preparing themselves so nothing ever goes into a wild outbreak. but everything looks like it was made to be displayed and possibly edit if necessary. (coupled with the lack of explaining the GPU or Tflops.)

also, if you listen to the spokes women from microsoft in their pre-E3 video a while back, they say the xbox one it's still a beta.......???? how can they say that when the box is already out the door and standing in front of millions of customers and in their hands?

my guess is microsoft is singing and dancing with weak hardware for the time being (as they might not have a choice) and at the same time letting developers like Remedy and Crytek run wild on stage with target in game graphics.

would you say the setup inside of the xbox one is "more" or "less" efficient then necessary? given the size of the console.
We'd need the design goals to know what was necessary.
Both systems likely have coolers that are much bigger than is necessary to keep the APUs from catching on fire, if that was the only goal.

The goals for cost, noise, and temperature limits could all be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back