Technical Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
What we know about the next gen PSEye? Is it "always" connected to PS4? are voice commands a feature at system level like Xbox One?

Can anyone show me a console in the past that has a significant upclock just prior to launch?.

I guess Gamecube had some clock adjustments.

I account for that supposed implausibility by likewise questioning the assumptions that govern what ppl have *asserted* is or isn't plausible.

You are claiming that any detractors of what you propose belong to people who have confirmation bias. This is false and how is that conducive?

We got a leak of the 8GB upgrade weeks before it happened, I think the chances of microsoft keeping upclock underwraps is near nill, will you concede at least that it is most likely that nothing has changed and the GPU and CPU clocks are at 800mhz and 1.6ghz ?.

Yet 3rd party devs didn't know about it. And we also have a VGLeaks rumor claiming Durango's specs were adjusted several weeks back. I won't concede anything as I'm not in a position to do so atm. Thus far I don't see any arguments being presented that don't extensively rely on assumptions that themselves are fragile. Just because you assert an assumption is valid or rock solid or 'highly likely' doesn't make it so.

I don't care how many times you repeat these assertions/assumptions or point to others repeating them. Having a discussion on this kind of topic should entail multiple perspectives and multiple hypotheses until we get more detailed info form MS to incorporate into our considerations.

Because at the moment you are asserting that Microsoft changed there performance target purely on Sony having the more powerful console which to me seems to complete rubbish, they have a vision they met and no amount of fanboy wishful thinking will change it.

Speculations isn't the same thing as an assertion. Speculation comes from pooling together information and putting pieces together in a way that seems to fit and explain their origins. Assertions are done without pooling together information and instead rely on the circular logic of assuming something is true and then using that to justify what you've assumed.

Some of you guys need to learn what words mean before you throw them around at others in efforts to dismiss them. You are asserting things, not me. :rolleyes:

I've been correct on it being GCN when others where shouting there 4x VSP nonesense from the rooftops, the GPU is basically the only real thing ive speculated on so far.

And I've been correct on a large set of things as can be seen from my posts at TXB years back outlining how they'd approach this coming gen. I'll be sure to pop the cork for both of us the moment they unveil clock speeds. :smile:

You asked about why MS would want to up clocks. I'd agree it would be desperate on their end, likely informed by marketing agendas. An increased clock would give them the ability to tell consumers their box has a better CPU and an on par GPU while having more bandwidth. Will they care? Before the reveal I'd have said no, but then I also expected them to tell us all about how their box had chips every bit as fast as PS4's and they didn't. That's what got me curious about this whole thing.

Boglin,

I'm not saying my hypothesis is correct. I'm saying it needs vetting and thus far efforts to do so rely on the same assumptions/assertions my hypothesis calls into question in the first place. It doesn't matter how many times you repeat those assumptions. You can run around that circular logic all day long. Doesn't get you anywhere.

My hypothesis fits with the various disparate info we have and isn't as logistically implausible as you think it is imho. You are welcome to disagree, but do so without confusing who is assuming/asserting what in the process.

Yet 3rd party devs didn't know about it. And we also have a VGLeaks rumor claiming Durango's specs were adjusted several weeks back. I won't concede anything as I'm not in a position to do so atm. Thus far I don't see any arguments being presented that don't extensively rely on assumptions that themselves are fragile. Just because you assert an assumption is valid or rock solid or 'highly likely' doesn't make it so.

I don't care how many times you repeat these assertions/assumptions or point to others repeating them. Having a discussion on this kind of topic should entail multiple perspectives and multiple hypotheses until we get more detailed info form MS to incorporate into our considerations.

Speculations isn't the same thing as an assertion. Speculation comes from pooling together information and putting pieces together in a way that seems to fit and explain their origins. Assertions are done without pooling together information and instead rely on the circular logic of assuming something is true and then using that to justify what you've assumed.

Some of you guys need to learn what words mean before you throw them around at others in efforts to dismiss them. You are asserting things, not me. :rolleyes:

And I've been correct on a large set of things as can be seen from my posts at TXB years back outlining how they'd approach this coming gen. I'll be sure to pop the cork for both of us the moment they unveil clock speeds. :smile:

You asked about why MS would want to up clocks. I'd agree it would be desperate on their end, likely informed by marketing agendas. An increased clock would give them the ability to tell consumers their box has a better CPU and an on par GPU while having more bandwidth. Will they care? Before the reveal I'd have said no, but then I also expected them to tell us all about how their box had chips every bit as fast as PS4's and they didn't. That's what got me curious about this whole thing.

Boglin,

I'm not saying my hypothesis is correct. I'm saying it needs vetting and thus far efforts to do so rely on the same assumptions/assertions my hypothesis calls into question in the first place. It doesn't matter how many times you repeat those assumptions. You can run around that circular logic all day long. Doesn't get you anywhere.

My hypothesis fits with the various disparate info we have and isn't as logistically implausible as you think it is imho. You are welcome to disagree, but do so without confusing who is assuming/asserting what in the process.

Your speculative conclusion became an assertion as soon as you started defending it with such vigor.

Leaks have proved to be informative to the actual hardware, even so, you don't care to hold them with any regard. Speculation that deviates very far from the leaks are a stretch. This includes a 33% gpu clock increase which has been given numerous reasons across this board to believe that it is not very likely.

However, you refute any detracting reasons by saying we can't be certain so I am confused as to what you want to actually discuss. It seems the point of all your meandering regarding a clock jump is to dismantle any comparisons between the two systems until we have near system parity.

I believe the reason it's easy for everyone to take the 200GB/s value including the coherent bus is because it fits quite nicely into the memory subsystem paradigm. Your hypothesis is far more dubious by comparison.

As a side note, I suggest you learn the definition of connotation before you start playing semantics.

Yes, it seems like 60MB/s is a decent rate expected from 2.5" 500GB, which would be enough for 2MB/s

Sony in particular I think degraded the maximum capacity by encryption / filesystem inefficiencies. I am a little worried something like that could happen again, but I really don't hope so. It may end up a discernable factor though, in terms of load speeds and pop-in.

Yeah, this. The PS3 is really horrible with its disk subsystem. I put a 7200RPM drive into my 1st gen PS3, and it couldn't take advantage of it in any noticeable way.

Hopefully with its BSD underpinnings, PS4 will get off of FAT/xFAT, and have competent filesystem performance finally.

Looks like there'll be a hell of a lot of data-shuffling going on in XBOX One. I understand the "move engines" are supposed to kind of alleviate that problem. But still: Looking at the high concept, SONY's appraoch seems way simpler and, as a result, more reliable.

I can't even begin to imagine the headache involved in checking for possible bottlenecks when tons of data keep being shuffled around between [BD], HDD, RAM, and ESRAM.

Yeah. I know 360 programmers had to deal with that stuff with the EDRAM, but it's still surprising the extent to which Microsoft has seemingly made a more difficult to program system than Sony this gen.

Yeah. I know 360 programmers had to deal with that stuff with the EDRAM, but it's still surprising the extent to which Microsoft has seemingly made a more difficult to program system than Sony this gen.

I think as far as hardware goes, I think the X1 should prove to be easier to get a handle on than the 360 was. PS4 hardware is almost as simple as you can get for devs. What I find more interesting is some of the comments kicking around that the X1 development environment is not as mature as on the PS4. This is the one area I would expect Microsoft to always trump the competition. Maybe juggling cloud compute assets is holding it back some, I dunno, but I'm really interested to see what comes out of it.

Double frame rate requires much more than just extra ROPs.

Or maybe some clever interpolation (extra-polation) :D
http://and.intercon.ru/releases/talks/rtfrucvg/

I'm really sad that this never took off. Never can reach the quality of native 60fps, or its reduced input latency, but it magically doesn't add latency while providing sweet temporal image quality. Very clever stuff, lots of room for improvement and other temporal effects.

Yeah, this. The PS3 is really horrible with its disk subsystem. I put a 7200RPM drive into my 1st gen PS3, and it couldn't take advantage of it in any noticeable way.

Hopefully with its BSD underpinnings, PS4 will get off of FAT/xFAT, and have competent filesystem performance finally.

I remember some dev was demanding for an unbuffered I/O mechanism on the PS3 (but didn't get it). ^_^

I agree Sony should go beyond FAT nextgen.

I remember some dev was demanding for an unbuffered I/O mechanism on the PS3 (but didn't get it). ^_^

I'm really, really, really curious as to the development of the software stack on these consoles. I assume XBox One is going to take advantage of Microsoft's in-house virtualization and operating system kernel resources, but PS4 seems to require a lot more bespoke development, even if they do grab onto all the BSD/MIT/LGPL code they can get their hands on.

Edit:

And it does seem like those software resources are out there. There's so much software engineering that goes into making triple-A games, it seems like it might not take a huge jump beyond that to get to building a competitive console out of open licensed components along with the console maker's proprietary bits. I don't know if we'd be talking a few hundred developers for a few years, or what, but that seems like a feasible investment for a console maker.

It should also not allow any single game to install thousands of files to its file system, whatever filesystem it uses. (Gran turismo did this..). Doesn't it have the potential to affect other games, and possibly create fragmantation? A virtual filesystem where games go with large image files could fare better. They still could provide a standard method to access files within the image file so the burden is not on developers.

If Sony goes with a full image install on PS4 like Microsoft is doing on XBox One, they could presumably avoid fragmentation pretty nicely with pre-allocated extents at install time.

Quite sure PS3 use UFS2 not FAT,speed is mostly due SATA-150 controller(only 1.5 Gbit/s transfer) and XTS-AES-128 encryption/decryption(tweak and data).

Yes my bad. I remember reading about UFS2 support in PS3.

FAT is for the USB drive (non-gaming use). Any chance of supporting other file system for external drives ?

Quite sure PS3 use UFS2 not FAT,speed is mostly due SATA-150 controller(only 1.5 Gbit/s transfer) and XTS-AES-128 encryption/decryption(tweak and data).

Oh, they're using UFS2? That's good to hear, thanks. I suppose they use the seventh SPU to handle the encrypt/decrypt functions?

Even with a decent filesystem, it's not hard to make a mess of your IO scheduler and etc. Hopefully they'll do better next time.

Yes my bad. I remember reading about UFS2 support in PS3.

FAT is for the USB drive (non-gaming use). Any chance of supporting other file system for external drives ?

I wish MS would licence NTFS, at least 75% of 'I can't see my USB drive' help requests are down to this. I hope we see at least exFAT support so I can load large files without running into FAT32 4GB limit.

I wish MS would licence NTFS, at least 75% of 'I can't see my USB drive' help requests are down to this. I hope we see at least exFAT support so I can load large files without running into FAT32 4GB limit.

I never had a PS3, did it have problems streaming high definition files(larger than 4GB) over a home network?

I never had a PS3, did it have problems streaming high definition files(larger than 4GB) over a home network?

It's been a long time. I think I tried one that's 7GB.

Streaming won't be affected by FAT limitations. If it's live streaming, nothing is cached. If it's progressive download, the internal UFS2 HDD is used.

There are many ways to stream a video to PS3. Your experience will most likely depend on what streaming server you use.

In the old web browser, you could also download a movie over HTTP. It would play progressively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back