System upgrade question

New User

Newcomer
I currently have a Athlon XP 1700+ and gf4mx integrated video.
I am considering upgrading to a sempron64 2800+ and nforce6100 video. How much of a performance improvement should I expect to see?

For light gaming and emu, you'll be fine with this set up. it'll help a good bit to overclock the IGP, but it's wise to get a good motherboard for this. emuing more modern, 3D consoles might chug a little, and all new games will be designed for your IGP as a bare minimum, meaning you'l usually have to get used to playing without ANY effects (fancy shaders, like water, lighting, smoke, and particle effects). I got away wit using a similar chip by ATi for a long time (hooray for GBA roms and GTA!). Just don't expect any eye candy.

edit: should be noted, there is now a separate sub-forum for hardware upgrade advice. ;)

Thanks for the replies. I have very little budget of a little over $100. I will probably overclock the sempron2800+ when I get it. The motherboard I plan to get is the biostar tforce6100 754. I overclocked my 1700+ today to 1833mhz and it gave me a slight idea of what to expect from the upgrade as far as what my ram can handle. I am not really concerned too much about newer games. The newest game I play now is bf1942.

that mobo should hold up nicely. however, cpu ooverclocking isn't going to improve the type of gaming you'll do very much (though it will somewhat improve everything). you want to overclock your IGP, the actual nV 6100 northbridge chip. this may require adding a little heat sink to it (in HK you can buy these for amost nothing, in the US it can require a ship to a friendly PC shop, PC show, or a nice giant place like Fry's), i'm not sure about on that biostar. anyway, i was able to overclock a 6100 without any real effort by about 50%, this produces great increases in fillrate, but it still won't have enough pipes to do any real shading or lighting work. still fine for emuing PSX or playing bf42. WAY way better than an MX-era chip. ;)

How high did you manage to clock your 6100 to?

if i recall correctly, just shy of 600 MHz. however, it should be noted that I didn't have the board all that long before I ripped that same 6100 chip in half. So I didn't really get to fiddle with it a lot (I suspect I could have gottten more as the heatsink it came with wasn't even all that flat, and the fan I added was actually okay, but could have gone a bit larger). For the record, it was an Asus A8N-VM CSM.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd be better off getting some kind of crazy mobo/CPU and some $60 card.

Used PC parts have little value, so I bet some hunting around could get it done (decent mobo/CPU for $40)
________
Buy roor bongs

Last edited by a moderator:
Turns out I had a little financial help so I went with a new system.
I am getting a Dell E521
x2 3800+
1 gig ddr2 533mhz
160gig SATA hdd
nforce 6150 le

I have tried using coolbits and rivatuner to overclock the 6150 but neither of them work. Coolbits just resets the core clock to the original speed. Any way around this?

Back