Windows Spatial Audio (Headset Surround Sound)

I'm sure it's software. I don't know how a headset can actually be 7.1, but it cost $70 at Walmart.
That one doesn't even mention 7.1 The Razer Kraken has software 7.1 and is more expensive.

That one doesn't even mention 7.1 The Razer Kraken has software 7.1 and is more expensive.
It doesn't mention it anywhere except the manual. Anyway it worked but I don't want the software installed if I don't need it, and it sounds like Windows Sonic is the same if not better.

Yeah I have Kraken 3, the 7.1 is definitely software.
I haven't managed to find any clear detail of what it actually does other than headset runs as stereo without it, then you turn it on & you can set windows to use it as a 7.1, does at least seem to give surround effect on the windows test thing with 7.1 selected.

They then try to upsell you to THX software with a free trial & 50% discount.
Is it better? Maybe but what actually makes it better?
Sometimes the 7.1 can sound pretty muddy but that might be a case of wrong combo of on/off stuff in the various control panels.

I think I've actually been running it in stereo mode for a while with the DTS mode on but that doesn't seem to be working atm & I'm now back on the 7.1 for the moment.

I was hoping some older games would detect new headsets/Windows sonic or some combo as EAX but doesn't :(

If you enable dolby atmos for headphones in Overwatch it should be outputting a stereo audio signal, which I think Windows Sonic will leave alone. Dolby Atmos for Headphones is an HRTF type of virtualized surround with a stereo signal. Windows Sonic should only try to virtualize surround for games that are outputting a surround audio format.

Windows Sonic treats all incoming audio as spatial including stereo. It may try to process it - couldn’t find any documentation that confirms pass through. Safest bet is to disable Sonic for games with built in HRTF.

Assuming the game doesn't have Atmos, if I have Windows Sonic turned on, do I set the game to output 5.1/7.1 surround sound? Some games don't even have that option. Trying to figure this out is a bunch of bullshit.

Yah, you'd want the game set to surround and then sonic will turn it into spatial stereo (some type of hrtf).
Thanks. What if the game doesn't have a surround sound option? It just outputs a stereo signal and Windows Sonic fixes it up? That seems worse than having the game do surround sound. This seems like a case where the Razr software would be better, since it presents to Windows (and thus to the game) as 7.1 speakers.

Also I could enable Windows Sonic on the Razr 7.1 output device and enter the next dimension.

Thanks. What if the game doesn't have a surround sound option? It just outputs a stereo signal and Windows Sonic fixes it up? That seems worse than having the game do surround sound. This seems like a case where the Razr software would be better, since it presents to Windows (and thus to the game) as 7.1 speakers.

Also I could enable Windows Sonic on the Razr 7.1 output device and enter the next dimension.

My personal take is I wouldn't use any of it. If I'm gaming on headphones I'll just use whatever native option they have for stereo or headphones. If they have a 3D headphones, hrtf or atmos for headphones option, I'll use that. It gets too complicated to try to manage what the external Sonic/Dolby/Razer app is adding, and they sometimes ruin the audio presentation that's being crafted by the audio designers working on the game.

Thanks. What if the game doesn't have a surround sound option? It just outputs a stereo signal and Windows Sonic fixes it up?

In my experience games see a 7.1 surround device when Windows Sonic is enabled. You can see it in games that display the “default” audio config.

In games that don’t display the speaker configuration there’s no way to tell for sure but I have to assume it’s working the same way.

I'm not sure I like Windows Sonic. It makes the mix very highly directional. Like if I'm standing next to a character that is talking and they're on my right, the voice only comes out of the right speaker. No voice from the left speaker at all.

Has anyone tried Atmos for headphones and knows how it compares to Windows Sonic? I don't want to pay $15 for the Atmos app if it isn't any better, and apparently I already did the free trial at some point.

I’m currently on a trial of DTS:Headphone X and can’t really tell the difference to Windows Sonic. I will try the Atmos trial next.

I'm trying the DTS:Headphone X trial. Could be placebo but I like it better than Windows Sonic. It doesn't have the same effect where if someone is talking to my right it feels like my left ear has gone deaf.

Has anyone tried Atmos for headphones and knows how it compares to Windows Sonic? I don't want to pay $15 for the Atmos app if it isn't any better, and apparently I already did the free trial at some point.

I tried Atmos when they had a free trial and liked it enough that I paid the 15 USD to unlock it permanently.

Regards,
SB

Back