Trying to upgrade Blue a bit.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
My wife's computer is actually my old first computer that I gave to her back in 1999 when I built myself Bubbles, her name is Blue. She's currently a bit of a POS with a FX-8350 and 16GB DDR3 with a 390 and a 1TB hdd. Today I'm getting a 240GB SSD for her that I saw for $22us and figured there was no excuse not to.

I just got done transferring everything off her HDD I could on to my computer so I can defrag her and hopefully shrink down her current install sector to under 240GB so I can clone it to the new drive.

I've never cloned an OS install before, I'm a bit nervous.

I've gotten the data of her install to about 170GB, just gotta see if defraggler and disk manager can do a little magic. Anyone got advice on cloning software? Preferably freeware but whatever is easiest/best I can get too.

Thanks in advance, it's the last PC in my house with no SSD and I can't wait to see how much she likes the zippiness switching from an HDD to SSD makes. It sure impressed/freaked me out and still does!

EDITED BITS: BTW, Blue started out in 1994 as an HP Pentium 60hz with a socket 4. She's been quite an upgrading adventure too and is my second "ship of Theseus" builds. ;)

Last edited:
If you are running Windows it might not be a bad idea to do a reinstall and just move over the needed user data.
I agree with you, my wife does not. One of the conditions of being allowed to upgrade her PC is that I keep her windows 10 install as is.

Any software that can pull a windows install off a HDD and install it on to a SSD? Not one that clones the drive since I'm having issues getting the partition below 700GB, but all the info on the drive is under 155GB.

I agree with you, my wife does not. One of the conditions of being allowed to upgrade her PC is that I keep her windows 10 install as is.

Any software that can pull a windows install off a HDD and install it on to a SSD? Not one that clones the drive since I'm having issues getting the partition below 700GB, but all the info on the drive is under 155GB.
@Davros already gave you an answer :)

Macrium Reflect is as good as it gets for this. Follow this guide.

Or get a ssd bigger than 700gb
Nope, 240GB ssd is on its way and should be here today. I'm impulsive on good deals.

I think my problem is I didn't disable virtual memory before defragging, meaning I have immovable files in the wrong places on the drive making it impossible to shrink properly. Gonna try disabling that and a few other things and trying it again.

Still gonna give Macrium a go, but thought I'd try this first. :)

That just clones partitions though, my current partition the OS is on is at 700GB and the SSD is 240GB. The data on the partition is only 155GB, but I can't get it defragged enough to shrink it. :(

I'll give Macrium Reflect a go, thanks.
The application should be able to copy just the data regardless of partition size. It is able to resize the cloned partition at least.

Macrium keeps giving me a code 9 error while trying to do the image. Sidenote, it's still taking more than 20 minutes to boot each time. :/

Macrium keeps giving me a code 9 error while trying to do the image. Sidenote, it's still taking more than 20 minutes to boot each time. :/
how about not making an image and directly copy to ssd?

Btw error 9says crc error. So it probably meant a kaput hdd.

You may have etter chance using transfer tool https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-ff30fba8-9b3e-58f8-5cf2-dfabae35fa01

Dunno how deep the transfer is. I have not tried it. But I suspect not as deep as the windows transfer tool in windows xp /7 era.

how about not making an image and directly copy to ssd?

Btw error 9says crc error. So it probably meant a kaput hdd.

You may have etter chance using transfer tool https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-ff30fba8-9b3e-58f8-5cf2-dfabae35fa01

Dunno how deep the transfer is. I have not tried it. But I suspect not as deep as the windows transfer tool in windows xp /7 era.
It basically says the windows easy transfer is not available in 10 then offers you a third party option to move some files. :/

It's not a bad HDD I don't think, I think it could also be because I was using a 7.1 version of Macrium instead of the latest 8. Gonna uninstall the old and install the new and see if it makes it all better.

I can't do a direct clone, going from a 1TB to a 240GB. There's only 155GB of info on the 1TB drive, but it still raises a fuss about the new disk not being big enough.

I appreciate the advice help, sorry I haven't listed names yet or if I seem short. I'm just stressed out. Between the hassles with the upgrade, having to have her computer ready and available when she wants it, new brakes coming in for the Wrangler today and needing putting on tomorrow, and a trip to my mom's to see my 2 sisters with my kids that I haven't seen in years has sort of got all my nerves frazzled. I'll post up something fun later, for now I'll just apologize in case I'm seeming rude and explain that I'm just having a mild panic attack while dealing with a half dozen fires. Or just another Saturday as I like to call it. ;) :p

I can't do a direct clone, going from a 1TB to a 240GB. There's only 155GB of info on the 1TB drive, but it still raises a fuss about the new disk not being big enough.

Can't you do some steps where you shrink that 1TB drive down to under 240GB before you go into cloning route? I have some flashbacks using Partition Magic doing in-place shrinking of drives without impacting data. If this is a questionable drive, you really don't want to do anything writing to it, including moving data around, so don't do what I asked about.

It basically says the windows easy transfer is not available in 10 then offers you a third party option to move some files. :/

It's not a bad HDD I don't think, I think it could also be because I was using a 7.1 version of Macrium instead of the latest 8. Gonna uninstall the old and install the new and see if it makes it all better.

I appreciate the advice help, sorry I haven't listed names yet or if I seem short. I'm just stressed out. Between the hassles with the upgrade, having to have her computer ready and available when she wants it, new brakes coming in for the Wrangler today and needing putting on tomorrow, and a trip to my mom's to see my 2 sisters with my kids that I haven't seen in years has sort of got all my nerves frazzled. I'll post up something fun later, for now I'll just apologize in case I'm seeming rude and explain that I'm just having a mild panic attack while dealing with a half dozen fires. Or just another Saturday as I like to call it. ;) :p

There is a step in macrium where you shrink the target partition.

I remember that because that's what I did when I moved from hdd to ssd.

But I don't really remember what the step is and where

Back