Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Unlike NMS they don't need to turn it around. It's already good. Theyre just improving an already good game.
I agree, Starfield is a really good game with a lot of content, I played it myself for more than 100 hours. However, in order for it to be successful in the future, significant changes must be made. This could be an Ark-like Survival mode, which is an increasingly popular game mode these days. Or even a multiplayer cooperative game mode, which is constantly being added with new content.

Anyone played the most recent update where Bethesda overhauled the lighting? Thoughts from the local crowd? I'm kinda tempted to pop back in and check it out, but I'm also enthralled with CP2077 and I'm almost done mega-modding Skyrim SE so I can reroll a character there with my kids.

And at the same time, it looks like the AMD cards regressed by around 5-15%, depending on model.

Even if we wanted to be snarky about underlying reasons, I find it interesting the AMD cards actually regressed.

So, comparing NVIDIA's performance on Starfield's launch vs now revealed that GPUs such as the 4080 got a 45% fps uplift (from 59fps to 86fps), while the 3080 received a gigantic 65% uplift (from 35fps to 58fps). Based on HardwareUnboxed numbers at 1440p.

At launch:

View attachment 10784

Now:

View attachment 10785
Yea. A little birdie PMd me the reason why it wasn’t performing. They largely did not work with nvidia to optimize it for that platform during development. It was effectively all hands on deck to get series consoles working, and amd had the sponsorship, and that translated to amd success.

I knew he was right, and he told me to keep it a secret, I just didn’t know how to play it afterwords if I should change direction or just continue forward as if I wasn’t clued in on it.

Last edited:
And at the same time, it looks like the AMD cards regressed by around 5-15%, depending on model.

Even if we wanted to be snarky about underlying reasons, I find it interesting the AMD cards actually regressed.
I would also be curious to see what changed.

Which one? The 7900XT went from 71 to 78fps, the 6950XT went from 57 to 63fps, 6800XT from 47 to 53fps, and the 6800 from 41 to 48 fps, about 10% uplift for AMD cards, granted not the same as NVIDIA, but AMD cards had good performance to begin with. It's NVIDIA that suffered the most and needed much higher uplift to reach their optimal levels.

Bethesda has just released a new beta patch for Starfield that adds support for AMD FSR 3.0.
To download this patch, you must opt-in to the game’s beta updates. Once you’ve done that, Steam will automatically download the AMD FSR 3.0 Patch.

I'm not going to make any comparisons to other games anymore but I will just say a few things that I would like to see improved/expanded. Firstly space combat I felt was very shallow, I honestly expected at some point to attack like a big space station or spacebourne mothership. Yes I know the story reasons now I got to ng+4 so maybe some other factions large mothership/deathstar whatever. Instead of the slomo target traits that actually would have been the perfect place to bring back the vats system so you could sit there and watch your ship firing in a pretty cool cinematic way. I'm not asking to manually fly around a whole system just space combat to be more engaging, even fighting the legendary high level ships around the universe isn't special. First one I killed I didn't even realise it was something of note.

I would also like the ship to have some more use in atmosphere, i'm not talking about space to planet entry and all that drama but some small things like an upgrade or modules so you could take off and fly slowly in atmosphere and use mineral scanners to try find exactly the combo your trying to find, or even the option to then land and deploy mining modules on the ship that would then mine for you.
I highly doubt they will do much with ships because of how poor its implementation was in concept; it just wasn't thought out at all. Ship combat is a numerical damage race because of how braindead simple it is. It's pretty telling how little faith they had in it since they made space combat (in their space game) optional unless it's part of a quest. That opt-in design philosophy has been a staple of Bethesda's games for a long time now it clearly sticks out in starfield because of how disconnected it is with the ground-based gameplay loops. It's too bad because meaningful space travel and combat would have really helped pace out the game better and would have given the game much needed scale.

I'm assuming he means that the combat has very little player skill expression/agency (eg. very little differential in outcome with say aim, movement, positioning, tactical decisions, etc.) and it's basically just stats vs. stats.

Comparing the 3 upscalers in Starfield, in short: DLSS then XeSS then FSR. FSR2 remains bad and thus FSR3 is bad by consequence.

despite the FSR implementation being updated from FSR 2.2 to FSR 3 with the latest patch, the quality of FSR upscaling remains the same as it was on launch day

In Starfield, the main issue FSR upscaling has is a constant shimmering on many objects, such as thin steel objects, transparent materials, tree leaves and vegetation in general, laser sights and scopes, power lines and neon signs

These shimmering artifacts are visible across all resolutions and quality modes when standing still, but are even more noticeable in motion.

The FSR 3 upscaling implementation also has visible pixelation on particles and disocclusion artifacts on NPCs, which is especially visible at lower resolutions such as 1080p

If you want the most stable and clean image in Starfield—DLSS Super Resolution can deliver it. Because of yet another poor implementation - this time the in-game native TAA solution, which has a very blurry overall image across all resolutions and very poor rendering of small object detail and shimmering artifacts, even at 4K, enabling DLSS Super Resolution produces distinctly cleaner overall image quality, free from artifacts across all resolutions and quality modes

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/starfield-xess-1-2-vs-dlss-3-vs-fsr-3-comparison/

Back