Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Wasn't the recently released Switch version of KOTOR2 supposedly 'finished', i.e. all intended content playable?
yes.. it does appear the Restored Content Mod DLC is coming to the switch version. Crazy. It's finally happened.

Supposedly the two they fired were:

Jason Minor - Art Director/Character Lead on SWTOR.
Brad Prince - Designer on the original KOTOR.

I hope Brad Prince wasn't let go because he was pushing back at management to have the game be less millennial PC and more faithful to the original story and dialog.

Regards,
SB

I've tried to play KOTOR a couple of times but could not get past the "old school" RPG mechanics. Having to sit looking a stats screen for ten minutes and flicking between gear to work out which combinations are more advantageous to wear for a particular scenario doesn't appeal to me.

Bethesda and BioWare have spoken about why mainstream RPG game mechanics evolved from mimicking tabletop games with masses of stats and strict dice-rolls and it's because they are not as popular with modern audiences. the mechanics aren't immediately graspable

When you loo at the progression from Fallout 1/2, to Fallout 3 to Fallout 4, or KOTOR 1/2 to OG Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2 to Mass Effect 3, you'll see the commercial success in black and white. Elder Scrolls Oblivion, then Fallout 3, were my first proper RPG experiences. I just couldn't get past olde RPG experiences being Excel with graphics and pixel sex.
Yea this is a very fair perspective. I think more people are expecting more from video games than just a table top with graphics. But simultaneously there is still a decent market for these types of games, looking at Battletech and Shadow Run for instance, though the Pillars of Eternity series doesn't seem to be continuing any further now.

You are right, the move that FF7 did to FF7RE is a big jump, and that is perhaps where they need to go with these remakes, that would largely be worth people's time and money to re-explore it. I've already done all the max/min builds I could do in the OG titles, so you'd be right that I wouldn't be interested in doing it again.

I recently finished FF7R and I think it did an amazing job of melding action-based combat with strategic depth. I don't have twitch reflexes like I used to, so I do appreciate the ability to pause the action, think about what I want to do and then execute the strategy. It's also interesting that I change my approach depending on which character I'm playing. Certain characters (Tifa, Yuffie) are more fluid and action-oriented and bringing up the menu dampens some of the excitement. Others made me gravitate towards a more strategic style where I tended to pause more often. The game supported both. On a side note, I do prefer the toggle-pause that FF7R does instead of ME's hold-pause, because the latter tries to coerce me into playing more real-time.

Regardless, I still occasionally go back to KOTOR and the gameplay never feels dated to me. I don't care that the form originated as an emulation of tabletop mechanics. It's a legitimate combat mechanic in its own right and I enjoy it immensely.

You are right, the move that FF7 did to FF7RE is a big jump, and that is perhaps where they need to go with these remakes, that would largely be worth people's time and money to re-explore it.

I recently finished FF7R and I think it did an amazing job of melding action-based combat with strategic depth. I don't have twitch reflexes like I used to, so I do appreciate the ability to pause the action, think about what I want to do and then execute the strategy. It's also interesting that I change my approach depending on which character I'm playing.

This was a smart move. The more ways you give the player to engage with a game, the wider your customer base is. You don't want it to get too out of hand but I've seen people play Fallout 4 as mostly a first person shooter and others who never engage in combat outside of VATs. I like both.

While the game appears to be on life support it isn’t quite dead, as in a recent statement to Axios, Disney's head of gaming Sean Shoptaw said “Not a lot I can say on that point for some hopefully obvious reasons, but KOTOR is obviously an incredibly popular game, one that we are incredibly proud of and think that there's still a lot of demand for.”

Shoptaw continued, “Can't say whether the remake will ever actually come out, but yes, two people from Saber Interactive tell me they're still on it, despite recent rumors that nobody is working on the game.”

Remaking a game such as KOTOR is a rather ambitious affair, and so it would not be surprising to see it ultimately peter out – but for the sake of the fans, hopefully whoever is still working on it manages to pull through.

Back