Star Wars: The Rise of Spoilers and Speculation

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Let this be the semi-unofficial thread for all things Star Wars pertaining to spoilers and speculation, so as to not pollute the general Movies thread.

Is Fin a jedi? He managed to hit this dark jedi guy with the light saber.

Or is this dark jedi guy just the lamest fighter?

I think the bowcaster injury had him gimped a bit, but he was playing with Finn to some degree. Finn looks trained in swordsmandship as well. It's hard to say how weak Ren may be considering some other things he did, but Rey seems stronger.

I guess we'll see what happens after Snoke works with Ren more. And Rey with Luke.

Last edited:
But it was still weird having them skills in sword fighting?!?

Maybe you can argue about Fin, because of the scene with this Stormtrooper and the elektro weapon...maybe Fin is also educated in this weapon. But then he told Han Solo he is in the medics devision right?

About Rey discovering her Force this fast...meh.

About Ren being injured by the bow...that is true, forgot about it. Still, he could have just use Force push or joke to finish them off.

Is Fin a jedi? He managed to hit this dark jedi guy with the light saber.
Or is this dark jedi guy just the lamest fighter?
I think it's probably a combination of Kylo being injured, not finished his training and not being entirely given over to the dark side. He came across more like someone pretending to be 'evil'; "This is how I should be" instead of "This is what I am".

Have you seen what lives at the bottom of the rubbish chutes on those ships? Not surprised they are combat trained.
That reminds me... what was the point of Phasma? She drops the shields then gets tossed in the trash compactor? Not much of a setup for a character that's supposed to be an "important" in the next movie.

That reminds me... what was the point of Phasma? She drops the shields then gets tossed in the trash compactor? Not much of a setup for a character that's supposed to be an "important" in the next movie.
What better place to scrounge together some high level female MMO gear for future encounters?

But it was still weird having them skills in sword fighting?!?

Maybe you can argue about Fin, because of the scene with this Stormtrooper and the elektro weapon...maybe Fin is also educated in this weapon. But then he told Han Solo he is in the medics devision right?

About Rey discovering her Force this fast...meh.

About Ren being injured by the bow...that is true, forgot about it. Still, he could have just use Force push or joke to finish them off.

What if Rey is born directly from the force? I think anakin as a 6 year old was doing crazy stuff. Rey looks like a full on adult already.

Star Wars was kind of underwhelming. I definitely expected something more "epic", character-wise.

And why oh why did they decide to charge the super weapon by "draining" a star? Didn't any of these writers take a science class? Fantasy and make believe is one thing, but that shit is just ridiculous.

So I saw a post elsewhere that says Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars The Force Arises play set has the following line in it when Kylo Ren is fighting Rey: "Face me, cousin".

Some are saying the audio says: "Face me. Curses" because he was hit by the explosion.

This is at the 20 minute 27 second mark:

He said face me curses. Definitely. Just watch the whole thing he says curses again later on and it's the same line.

Last edited:
I thought fin had the force for sure. Having combat training and knowing how to use a sword are completely different. The way he and Rey worked together on the MF early also made me think that. I also thought that the movie was fun but very overated. There was little effective character development.

Also why not have a storm trooper shoot at Han while he is walking along the "really high" catwalk. Then his son can save him prior to killing him. It would have made the scene better. The decision to kill everyone all the time except when you decide to take them into super lax custody is silly. Why is a person even watching captives when they have technology. Oh sure you tell me to let you go? Sure thing then. CCTV anyone

Last edited:
The movie was spectacular.
It's everything that 99.9% of us Star Wars fans wanted. It won't please non sci-fi fans and it'll leave out those 0.1% that couldn't be satisfied anyways, but in the whole it's a spectacular movie.

Yes, the plot is very similar to episode IV/VI with the super-base being destroyed, which is completely okay because after the prequels most of us were wanting to feel at home.
Instead, the diversity is in the characters, the careful mix between CGI and real-life props, the well-placed humor, the constant nods to the previous movies and the fresh soundtrack.

This is hands down very close to the best Star Wars movie that could have been made, and the top reviews, groundbreaking ticket sales records and hordes of people watching the movie for the second time in theaters is proof of that.

Kylo Ren is the the best Star Wars villain yet, IMO. Adam Driver is excellent at interpreting a deeply conflicted, insecure and immature Force user who went to the dark side and is still struggling with it. Much more than Anakin who went from trying to save the Galaxy to slaying innocent little children in an instant with Hayden Christensen not being able to show a lot of emotion throughout the whole thing.

As for what I think of the stuff the movie leaves in the open:

1 - Finn is Force-sensitive. He's not on a Skywalker level of affinity, but I think he will learn the ways of the Force, at least in order to become a stronger fighter. And I think he even may learn from Leia or even Maz Kanata (not being Jedis doesn't mean they can't teach him a thing or two about the Force).
In Star Wars, the Force is used as the reason for almost everything that is unexpected and unpredictable. I think Finn's affinity to the Force is what made him break from his mental conditioning, contrary to all the other tens of thousands of Stormtroopers that have been successfully brainwashed by Hux's methods.

2 - Supreme Leader Snoke is Darth Plagueis, Palpatine's former master. When Han Solo tells Kylo that Snoke is just using him for his power, Kylo answers that's not the case, that Snoke's way is the correct one because "Supreme Leader Snoke is Wise". In ep. III, Palpatine asks Anakin if he knew about the tragedy of Darth Plagueis: The Wise. He tells Anakin that Darth Plagueis had been studying the Force in ways to bring beings back to life and how to create beings from the Force itself (strongly implying that Anakin's immaculate conception was a work of Plagueis). He then says his disciple killed him in his sleep. But I think Plagueis survived, got heavily disfigured by the attempt (which we can see in Snoke's projection) and escaped to the outer rim in order to recover, hide from Palpatine, wait for his next chance to control the galaxy and keep experimenting with the Force, which is how....

3 - ... he created Rey. I don't think Rey is the daughter of Luke or Leia. Without training, Rey was able to beat Kylo at his mind trick and at force-pulling Anakin's lightsaber. She's also a very skilled pilot and shows a genius-level of electrical and mechanical engineering, being able to fix the Millennium Falcon within minutes, which Luke was never able to meddle with.
The only other being that approached Rey's affinity with the Force was Anakin, which is why I think Rey is also a product of Force Conception.
Besides, if they ever want to present a plot-twist that even approaches Ep. V's "I am your father" scene, what better way to do it than to have have Snoke telling her "You have no father, you're my creation, like Darth Vader before you"?

"Starkiller fired its first shot at Hosnian System, now let's wait Thousands of years for the ray burst to reach it"
During the meeting before the attack, the Resistance members clearly say that the First Order found a way to put an energy beam into hyperspace, which is how they can attack any planet in the galaxy within minutes.

i must have missed that part, my bad.
i liked the movie, and i'm excited for the next chapter.
About the last duel, i thought it was pretty good, Kylo was injuried, still Finn did not last long.
And we don't know if Rey would have definitely won if they had not got separated by the collapse of the planet.

Great acting, great directing by JJ but not really not liking Kasdan's very derivative writing. Wouldn't be surprised if Rey and Kylo are siblings like the leak said they were, even though the May 2015 conglomerated leak was only 90% correct and was incorrect about a republic capital ship getting obliterated by the planet beam in an extended space battle.

Last edited:
Great acting, great directing by JJ but not really not liking Kasdan's very derivative writing. Wouldn't be surprised if Rey and Kylo are siblings like the leak said they were, even though the May 2015 conglomerated leak was only 90% correct and was incorrect about a republic capital ship getting obliterated by the planet beam in an extended space battle.
Whoops and no delete.

Back