Star Wars Battlefront [PS4, XO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
Im shocked they people can find a game no longer worth playing as soon as there is nothing left to unlock.
I think that depends on the game, and I think plenty are saying this game doesn't have enough to hold them personally beyond the unlocks, perhaps because the play, tactics and opportunities for fun in the execution are lacking versus other games.

I think everyone appreciates fun games can be fun without unlocks. Just look at football - same thing every match, every week, for decades, and people are still entertained by it.

From the beta, its my inability to change the match with my conscious actions that made me stop playing the beta. Maybe I am too accustomed to BF2/3/4 and the fact that I switch classes and gear to suit situations. In the beta, all I could decide was .......where to go. Other than that all pickups/specials were random events which cannot depend on. So it all fell on the core gun shooting, nothing else.

I wanted to do more....stick with ppl, revive, destroy vehicles , help others who are better at shooting than me.....but found no way to do it ! Maybe if I was a pro player myself I wouldn't feel so empty and just go on a killing spree :-/ ! I dunno !

I like the design of the tdm maps. They feel like real locations and not some assembly of cubes and planar levels like the Last 2 call of duty.

I'm loving it, I like the hunt the hero mode but am struggling with the different character special powers (ie I'm ok with Darth Vader but when I'm the Emperor I get one kill and die).

The gfx are amazing, I watch the kids play and just love looking at this game...

I think that depends on the game, and I think plenty are saying this game doesn't have enough to hold them personally beyond the unlocks, perhaps because the play, tactics and opportunities for fun in the execution are lacking versus other games.

I think everyone appreciates fun games can be fun without unlocks. Just look at football - same thing every match, every week, for decades, and people are still entertained by it.
Agreed. But the miscommunication there is that there's a difference between unlocking things, and shallow gameplay. If gamers are coming across saying there isn't to unlock, that's why games like titanfall did fail, its core gameplay was intact and great but a lot of people attributed it failure to not having enough things to unlock. I stopped playing because I over time low time to kill is not for me.

I didn't want to come off as elitist, and I'm sure I did there so I apologize, but I grew up playing quake and I did try for nationals in Counterstrike by the time the game hit 1.6; no unlocks but after a while even never speaking or moving with my teammates (the amount I played) just granted me insane intuition to know where players are without having to see them (pubs) .At the competitive scene you do require team work, but at the pub level you can still enjoy blasting people to bits, it still feels good and there is a good reason why it's still one of the oldest and strongest FPS communities there are.

SW:BF is indeed is a bit shallow, the guns don't require skill to fire and every mode has respawn. You have no control over how or when you get a vehicle power up. And there is no control over how to blast one down either.

I'd say most people who leave SW:BF is because players feel their actions are inconsequential to how the game plays out each match. But if that isn't true and it's actually because of a lack of unlocks, it's sad to see yet another game like titanfall just die out.

Lol @RenegadeRocks. Lol if it's possible to really dominate like that then yea you might be having a great time. But you will likely get stopped by vehicles.

I suppose the idea behind unlocks, perhaps subconsciously to those complaining of their absence, is they add depth. Mention of 'unlocks' is related to new weapons and loadouts and options to play the game. It is imprecise, perhaps, to claim 'lack of unlocks/progress' when the complaint is really 'shallow and limited' but I think the correlation these days is quite significant. If SWBF had unlocks, it'd have to have a lot more content and options, and thus be a deeper game.

Agreed. But the miscommunication there is that there's a difference between unlocking things, and shallow gameplay. If gamers are coming across saying there isn't to unlock, that's why games like titanfall did fail, its core gameplay was intact and great but a lot of people attributed it failure to not having enough things to unlock. I stopped playing because I over time low time to kill is not for me.

I didn't want to come off as elitist, and I'm sure I did there so I apologize, but I grew up playing quake and I did try for nationals in Counterstrike by the time the game hit 1.6; no unlocks but after a while even never speaking or moving with my teammates (the amount I played) just granted me insane intuition to know where players are without having to see them (pubs) .At the competitive scene you do require team work, but at the pub level you can still enjoy blasting people to bits, it still feels good and there is a good reason why it's still one of the oldest and strongest FPS communities there are.

SW:BF is indeed is a bit shallow, the guns don't require skill to fire and every mode has respawn. You have no control over how or when you get a vehicle power up. And there is no control over how to blast one down either.

I'd say most people who leave SW:BF is because players feel their actions are inconsequential to how the game plays out each match. But if that isn't true and it's actually because of a lack of unlocks, it's sad to see yet another game like titanfall just die out.

Lol @RenegadeRocks. Lol if it's possible to really dominate like that then yea you might be having a great time. But you will likely get stopped by vehicles.

Lol!

Huh? When did I ever say anything about Titanfall? I liked that game a lot and played it a lot until I moved on.

I don't even know what your problem is atm? Back in time?? What has this to do with today? I played the Unreal Tournament Demo on my PC back in time over and over again as I couldn't afford the game...it had one map and was just against bots, but I still played it all the time and it did make super fun back then. But you know...time has changed, at least for me. What is fun for me, has changed.

I mentioned that the gameplay in BF:SW is quite good, at least what I experienced in the beta. I said that people report that you unlock everything after about 10h of game. There are only a handful of modes and maps. The game is content starved because of the pricing politics and the Star Wars franchise and that it is so easy to milk gamers because they are addicted to their hobby.

And yes, for me, it makes fun to unlock stuff and get some form of progress. Heck, that is the main reason I like e.g. RPGs so much, because I love to unlock skills and item and everything. That is why I love(d) the BF series so much: I fully played through every single class and unlocked nearly all of the stuff you can unlock for those...this kept me playing hundreds and hundreds of hours. Same for Call of Duty, I just liked to unlock stuff. Of course, this only makes sense if the core gameplay is good. Otherwise I wouldn't play for so many hours. For me, unlocks and sense of progress is important in a Battlefield/Battlefront game!

E.g. the old Battlefront game had over 20(!!!!) heroes. This new one has 6. You say, content is not important? Would it be ok for you in case Titanfall 2 comes with only one single map and mode, as long as the core gameplay is super duper great? Because, you do not need content to have fun, as you can have fun with just good core gameplay on its own? I honestly doubt that Mr. Quake, sir! :mrgreen:

Lol!

Huh? When did I ever say anything about Titanfall? I liked that game a lot and played it a lot until I moved on.
Ah the miscommunication between us. My posts was directed towards these people
However, people report that after 10h you have unlocked everything essential and there is nothing that motivates to play more.
Not to you. These are the same group of people that got into titanfall and left when they unlocked all the weaponry. These are the same people that pretty much do it for every FPS game I've seen in the last while. Never directed towards you. There's nothing wrong with liking unlocks or cosmetics, but there is something drastically wrong with the idea of stopping to play a game just because there is nothing left to unlock. Then that means every single game going forward will be designed where everything needs to be unlocked (I hate this - because there is always an unnecessary gap in tools available between players that play a lot vs players that don't).

I don't even know what your problem is atm? Back in time?? What has this to do with today? I played the Unreal Tournament Demo on my PC back in time over and over again as I couldn't afford the game...it had one map and was just against bots, but I still played it all the time and it did make super fun back then. But you know...time has changed, at least for me. What is fun for me, has changed.

My general feeling summed up by this article: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...e-content-should-be-unlocked-from-the-outset/
Let me play the game I want to play!! Stop treating all players like they need a carrot in front of their face. There are many gamers that know the ins-and outs of all FPS games, but by restricting the tools we have from onset, that also limits what we can do until we run this stupid treadmill to actually do what we want to do.

I mentioned that the gameplay in BF:SW is quite good, at least what I experienced in the beta. I said that people report that you unlock everything after about 10h of game. There are only a handful of modes and maps. The game is content starved because of the pricing politics and the Star Wars franchise and that it is so easy to milk gamers because they are addicted to their hobby.

And yes, for me, it makes fun to unlock stuff and get some form of progress. Heck, that is the main reason I like e.g. RPGs so much, because I love to unlock skills and item and everything. That is why I love(d) the BF series so much: I fully played through every single class and unlocked nearly all of the stuff you can unlock for those...this kept me playing hundreds and hundreds of hours. Same for Call of Duty, I just liked to unlock stuff. Of course, this only makes sense if the core gameplay is good. Otherwise I wouldn't play for so many hours. For me, unlocks and sense of progress is important in a Battlefield/Battlefront game!
RPGs are vastly different from something like an FPS. There's a place and a time for everything. Unlocks in multiplayer games limits the player's ability - period, until you've played enough to earn it. It's a terrible way to be thrown into a MP game, and is among one of the reasons why I refuse to play COD, BF and also turned me off Titanfall. I've played FPS games for since Doom 1, and today if I come into a FPS game late, I have to start off with beginner weapon one and play 60 hours+ just to compete with people playing weeks ahead of me. This isn't good design, it's purposefully withholding my skill for no reason other than: (A) to give people with less skill an inherent advantage for playing longer (B) to put a carrot in front of your face.

E.g. the old Battlefront game had over 20(!!!!) heroes. This new one has 6. You say, content is not important? Would it be ok for you in case Titanfall 2 comes with only one single map and mode, as long as the core gameplay is super duper great? Because, you do not need content to have fun, as you can have fun with just good core gameplay on its own? I honestly doubt that Mr. Quake, sir! :mrgreen:

Decision making is important. Decision making is what makes a game worth playing. Maps are a big part of decision making, because it changes how you operate on the map. Having more maps which forces you to make different decisions should in theory make you a more versatile player, a better player. As for heroes, if there was a particular way to become a hero sure, that's nice having a goal in-game to work towards, but to just have it randomly dawn on me seems rather unfulfilling. Might be fun a couple of times, but it's going to get stale after 10 hours.

this game feels so refreshing to me after two years of BF4.
I am level 10 and have barely unlocked items as i feel i don't need it, just grenades, and waiting for the jetpack. I'm fine with the base gun.
It's a lot of fun, and i haven't tried all modes yet. I have finished the main campagin of blops 3 and i'm going to resell it, i don't like the MP much.
Season pass should entertain me for a long time i think.

I have that saber !

http://i.imgur.com/5e1sf9O.jpg

Looks like this mod adds some custom post processing, probably tone mapping and a convolution filter:

bsWibVG.png

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/nextge..._which_makes_visuals_even_more_realistic.html
http://imgur.com/a/ib8nW

Edit: apparently it hasn't been released yet, so - it could be Photoshop / After Effects as well... But whatever is possible in those apps can be mostly replicated in GPU based post filter effects too.

Last edited:
I think sharpening is a bit overdone. Like most PC mods nowdays, sharpening makes things look worse, especially in motion, not better...

Back