Square-Enix Acquires Unreal Engine 3 License

Hardknock

Veteran
http://www.square-enix.com/jp/company/j/news/2007/download/release_070125.pdf

This press release just came out today, so an English source may take some time.

Basically it says that "We [Square-Enix] have acquired the Unreal Engine 3 middleware from Epic Games to help in the development process of video games"

They go on to explain who Epic is and what the Unreal Engine 3 is and how it is usually used in the United States. They say that they will be using the latest version of Unreal Engine 3 which is known for its excellent balance of quality and development efficiency.

Some next-gen Square RPG goodness possibly going multiplatform? That's the only good reason I can think of for choosing UE3 over their internal engines. UE3 appears to work equally well on all platforms (PS3, 360 and PC.)

Some next-gen Square RPG goodness possibly going multiplatform? That's the only good reason I can think of for choosing UE3 over their internal engines. UE3 appears to work equally well on all platforms (PS3, 360 and PC.)
Quite possibly, but also remember UE3 has a great toolset, probably making development easier than using and developing in-house toolsets.

That's the only good reason I can think of for choosing UE3 over their internal engines.

Wow, you seem to know a lot about their internal engines? Or, more likely, you assume that they are the best there is, and anything else, e.g. UE3, can only be worse?

UE3 appears to work equally well on all platforms (PS3, 360 and PC.)

Sorry, apart from the Roboblitz thingie, what have we seen based on UE3 on all three platforms that makes you say this? We've seen Gears on the 360, and Rainbow Six: Vegas on the 360, and we know the latter has been postponed for several months for the PS3, most probably because it doesn't appear to work equally well there?

Wow, you seem to know a lot about their internal engines? Or, more likely, you assume that they are the best there is, and anything else, e.g. UE3, can only be worse?

The White Engine which is the only Next-gen Square engine revealed has been highly proclaimed as an engine built from the ground up for PS3 and Cell.

Sorry, apart from the Roboblitz thingie, what have we seen based on UE3 on all three platforms that makes you say this? We've seen Gears on the 360, and Rainbow Six: Vegas on the 360, and we know the latter has been postponed for several months for the PS3, most probably because it doesn't appear to work equally well there?

From impressions I've read UE3 ran pretty good on PS3 for the UT2007 demo. And Gears was built on a PC running UE3 so I'm guessing it runs pretty good there aswell.

EDIT: But then again lets say you are correct and UE3 doesn't work that well on PS3. Then this must be a 360 game in development correct? I wouldn't think they'd be focusing on PC unless it's a MMORPG of some sort...

I am hoping something original and exciting for the 360.

Final Gears of Fantasy War of Cerebus? :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait and see we shall.

I agree that the least likely scenario would be for them to buy UE3 for a PS3-only title, so this announcement implies exclusive or non-exclusive 360 support.

Square Enix is developing at least one multiplatform MMO at this moment, the Unreal Engine 3 is their best option for it.

Internal engines of Square Enix are great and I expect them to use one for any platform exclusive title.

why would you think they will replace their current engines with UE3? I see them using UE3 for non-AAA multi-system development. things like side projects and smaller budget games that will see versions on multiple systems.

I have no reason to believe they will replace it with their newest engine for prime projects like FF13

I don't see what the big deal is. Square Enix have been multiplatform for a LONG time. It's just the main Final Fantasy games and the main DQ games that are exclusive - and now DQ9 is going to DS!

The main Final Fantasy will be exclusive, with their custom engine, on PS3, simply because they will want to focus on that game, around that engine, tailored for one console.

All the multiplatform games, such as FF spin-offs and all other games they make, will be on UE3 on next-gen consoles. All multi-platform games for old hardware will be managed on a per-game basis, like it has always been.

IMO SE is after the virtual displacement mapping technology in UE3. It allows much better looking 3D models and in the right hands like SE's...

IMO SE is after the virtual displacement mapping technology in UE3. It allows much better looking 3D models and in the right hands like SE's...

Sure.You can get the sample code on google ,but they thought it was smarter to buy the 1 million$ plugin to do it...

Back