Square-Enix Acquires Unreal Engine 3 License

The UE3 ' virtual displacement' is used only on static geometry (eg framed wall) ,never on characters ,because it would look very bad (problems :angle of view,self shadowing ,casted/received shadow ... ).
Now ,(and because i would fully agree with this reason )i think it's a mater of artistic choice.

The character models in UE3 games use normal mapping beyond anything SE has shown with their proprietary engines. I don't think it's artistic choice as much as a limitation of the engine.

The character models in UE3 games use normal mapping beyond anything SE has shown with their proprietary engines. I don't think it's artistic choice as much as a limitation of the engine.

It's true - but I think this is more due to artistic style than anything else. Aside from a face scar here or there, Japanese characters typically have smooth features.

I think you're letting your imagination get the better of you. Square cetainly didn't buy UE3.0 because it offers super-secret normal mapping/parallax mapping techniques.

The answer might lie in a comparision of the lead character in Lost Odyssey to the lead in FF XIII. Both look fantastic although I would give a slight edge to LO where detail is concerned.

Square is also making they're own White Engine. Can you "merge" parts of UE3 into an existing engine you already have or are creating or do you have to seperate the 2?

Normal mapping isn't at all complex.

No it isn't, but a lot of software companies are having a hard time competing with the level of NM that's being done with UE3. Can you name any game engine that does?

Perhaps UE3 just has superior tools for transfering a hires (million plus poly) model into a normal mapped 10k poly model. This along with ue3's multiplat focus could help SE save time (and money) in developing games this gen. The biggest thing I take out of this move is SE is going multiplat efficiently. By this I mean trying to limit the "porting" process as much as possible by deving to ue3 which eventually will do very well (technically) on both ps3 and 360.

If a company licenses UE3 do they also get tech assistance for free or do they have to pay for that seperate? (yearly support fee?)

No it isn't, but a lot of software companies are having a hard time competing with the level of NM that's being done with UE3. Can you name any game engine that does?

That characteristic Gears of War look is due to excellent art direction, and very high-resolution normal maps, not some magical qualities of the engine. You don't get a cood art director bundled with the engine; the high resolution comes partly from a constrained world with few characters and models, and partly from a good streaming system - it is unclear if it's part and parcel of UE3 or if it's something they developed specifically for Gears.

IMO SE is after the virtual displacement mapping technology in UE3. It allows much better looking 3D models and in the right hands like SE's...

That technology takes about 5-10 mroe lines of publicly available code per shader, and an extra height map texture for the objects... So Square probably has some other reasons instead.

Normal mapping isn't at all complex.

Muhahahahaha...
It is pretty complex, as the industry can't seem to agree on how it actually works. Everyone uses tangent space maps, but past that point things get fuzzy with Z-up/Y-up, binormals, mirroring Uvs and such stuff.

Then comes the actual workflow question of how to construct your lowpoly geometry to properly capture the highres detail... Believe me, it's quite a challange.

It's a question of how much memory you cna spend on a single character, and how big your budget is to pay artists to create all that detail. Gears has how many characters? Two or three types of armor for humans and maybe 4 for the Locust...? Certainly not 50 individual characters...

Perhaps UE3 just has superior tools for transfering a hires (million plus poly) model into a normal mapped 10k poly model.

Epic's own artists suggested at GDC 2006 to cut up the model for normal mapping calculations...

Anything can be "adjusted" to run on 360 and PC. It's just that if the engine uses Cell and the SPUs extensively, [strike]together with using the 35GB link between Cell and RSX for all sorts of things, and is heavily optimised for that[/strike], it would be rather time-consuming to try and port that over totally different architectures such as a PC.
I can't remember a presentation where sony clearly stated that rsx can read in any part of the cell.

There are graphs who show effective bandwith ( read/write) for cell accessing gddr ram (not that fast) and for rsx accessing the main ram (faster).
Anyway rsx can acces main ram and the bandwith is hight. Anyway modern pc gpu have a lot of bandwith available a 256 bits bus with some ggdr can match the combined bandwith rsx has with the two memory pool it can acces.
cell send data to the gddr pool for the rsx to read it.

I can't remember a presentation where sony clearly stated that rsx can read in any part of the cell.

There are graphs who show effective bandwith ( read/write) for cell accessing gddr ram (not that fast) and for rsx accessing the main ram (faster).
That's accessing the RAM. There's 35 GB/s BW between Cell and RSX where Cell and RSX and read and write directly to each other without having to go through RAM.

AFAIK Cell can't really read RSX, because of the GPU's inherent latency; you have to spoon-feed it from the GPU side instead.

Back