Unreal Engine vs Open World *spin-off*

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Devious, Jul 26, 2020.

1. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

Arkham Knight is another open world UE game. That's build on a heavily modified UE3 though.

Devious likes this.
  2. techuse

Regular Newcomer

With awful performance on every PC you can build.

Devious likes this.
  3. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

I almost said the same. It was fine when I played it a couple of years after release. It was also fine on PS4 bar a little hitching during some point to point driving , according to DF.

4. techuse

Regular Newcomer

Its fine on PC if you dont want to go above 30 fps. Once you do its still a mess on any available hardware.

5. Devious

Regular

So these problems we've discussed even date back to UE3. Going back to Halo: Infinite and that supposed rumor of 343i at some point dipping their toes into the UE4 pool with players being able to explore the ring - it's interesting to ponder just how many problems they ran into just to make it work on the engine.

Maybe enough to where even trying to get help from developers like The Coalition and/or Rare - who were Microsoft's main UE developers at the time before the recent acquisitions - proved too cumbersome and just switched back to their in-house Slipspace engine.

Most of Microsoft's first-party studios are primarily Unreal Engine. I wonder once Infinite ships if 343i will just fall in line with the rest of them and adopt UE5. Seems unlikely though given the problems we've discussed as well as Halo probably not being a good fit for the engine due to the scale they shoot for and also as @BRiT pointed out, getting Forge to work.

BRiT likes this.
  6. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

If they don't care about past Forge content, UE seem quite good at Forge style user placed objects? There's obviously Fortnight, Grounded and the rather nutty Satisfactory.

7. Daozang

Veteran Regular

Are we talking 4K? Because at 1440p, it's a nice 90fps average on a high end pc, if memory serves me well.

8. techuse

Regular Newcomer

Avg doesn't tell the whole story. The game has consistently severe stutters that no hardware can alleviate.

Daozang likes this.
  9. Reynaldo

Newcomer

I'm pretty sure there's an unofficial fix for that. Here: https://sherief.fyi/post/arkham-quixote/