Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

Not sure what's going on.

Starbucks Hotspots use the same mechanism. It doesn't crash the web browser. I was able to click "Ok" to agree to the terms and access the Internet fine.

Turning of Javascript made no difference, but turning of cookies made the old error go away.

And I just got a new one, but in the browser page instead of in a popup.

The new error code is

NW-8942-3 which basically says an error occured.....

Got to love the clarity in the error msgs.

The official error code list has more details:

Your local network may have caused this error. Please restart your access point (wireless LAN router).
Restart your PS Vita system.
If you cannot connect to PlayStation®Network, check the status of PlayStation®Network at the Sony Computer Entertainment website for your region.
Contact your internet service provider to check the status of your internet connection.
Reset your access point, and then go to the home screen and select [Settings] > [Network] > [Wi-Fi Settings] to connect to the access point again. For details, refer to the access point's instruction manual.
Update the access point firmware to the latest version. For details, refer to the access point's instruction manual.
Go to the home screen and select [Settings] > [Network] > [Internet Connection Test] to check your internet connection status.

Looks like some sort of incompatibility between the access point and Vita

Turning off the cookie may have confused the access point somehow.

Fantastic, now if they could just tell me what they think is wrong :) Instead of only giving me what they think is the solution :)

Anyways, I'll check in the public areas of the hotel to see if there is any difference, since the captive portal should not be running there.

Yeah, so I have decided for sure to rely on DD as much as possible for Vita.

Lost my FEB case and 2 game carts inside. Plus a wireless headset in the case.
[size=-2]Why am I not surprised ?[/size] :LOL:

So PS Vita is not dragging Game unit in to losses? They should move to 28nm soon to price it lower

Why would it?
R&D spend is done, by most 3rd party accounts Sony break even or make a small profit on the hardware.
Assuming they can continue to move units and software I don't really see the issue. It's not a short term bet PSP wasn't a short term success either.

Not sure what's going on.

Starbucks Hotspots use the same mechanism. It doesn't crash the web browser. I was able to click "Ok" to agree to the terms and access the Internet fine.

For whatever reason some hotspots seem to be impossible to log into with the current browser. Others are fine.
The hotel I usually stay at in Japan has a hotspot I can't log into, on the other hand I can log in at the airport without issue.
Clearly a bug, might be fixed when they ship firmware later in the year.

I filed a request to fix the hotspot connectivity problem on share.blog.us.playstation.com. Let's see if Mr. Buser knows how to handle bug reports. ^_^

my near and map location are waaaaay off now since the last update, 1.67, used to be a few km off now its a few province/state off. :(

did that like a week after I got it, which is the early bundle. Whats the difference between the google map app on vita and the google map app on andriod and ios, I have a andriod and ios devices, but neither have 3G, both of them are almsot dead on locating my location.

Vita, Android and iOS all use Google's map data. According to rumors, iOS may be migrating to Open Streetmaps (openstreetmap.org).

Android and iOS use Google's location service.
Vita uses SkyHook's location service.

If Apple is moving away from Google Maps, then they will likely free themselves from Google's location service too.

well, is there anything location service that uses sky hook on android or anything else (free) that I can test. Cuz this make near pretty much useless to me.

well, is there anything location service that uses sky hook on android or anything else (free) that I can test. Cuz this make near pretty much useless to me.

Kindle Fire uses SkyHook also.

I just found out that in 2010, Apple has already switched away from Google and Skyhook, in favor of its own location service database. ^_^

I dont have kindle fire, but it seems like this sky hook thing is pretty crappy.

Works well enough for most, but there are exceptions, mostly people not living in a city basically, not giving enough datapoints (I think for it to work reliably you need to be in range of two registered access points?)

I have the 3G model so not really an issue for me. My iPhone which I also use as GPS broke and I recently had to go someplace new that was hard to find, and Google Maps on Vita really bailed me out. Just that one time was already worth the price of admission for me. ;)

I dont have kindle fire, but it seems like this sky hook thing is pretty crappy.

It probably has a smaller access point database. My guess is Apple and Google use cellphone GPS to refine their access point database. There are so many iOS/Android phones. It should be easy to relate the nearby access points whenever someone does a GPS ping in the same vicinity.

SkyHook has quite a few patents in this area. Hopefully some popular cellphone maker pick them up. ^_^
Motorola was going to adopt SkyHook instead of Google's location service, but Google stepped in.

Back