Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

I played a Vita for the first time yesterday. The biggest thing that struck me was just how small the face buttons are, I can cover all of them with my thumb! I liked the screen and backtouch, but no sale for me. The new iPad, on the other hand, is already pre-ordered.

Good for you.

:rolleyes:

Has Sony said what the launch numbers were for the US and Europe?

You can bet Apple will tout their preorders and first week sales. Sales for this 3rd generation iPad are expected to outstrip those of Vita and 3DS. Combined with the installed base of older iPads, you have to start watching how that will affect developer support over time.

They have just announced US welcomed Vita with 'overwhelming enthusiasm' but gave no numbers.

Apparently for the recorded NPD period (so one week first edition, then one week - or three days? - regular) it is 225k - at least that's what GAF says.

CNBC announced that video games sales overall was down in February, for like the 3rd month in a row or something like that.

Yap ! Posted those numbers in the sales thread. But does that number include iOS and web games ?

IMHO, I think developers should explore new types of games since more people play games today than ever before.

I'm actually pretty psyched for these cross-media games.

Ciel no surge smells like one of these "far out" games. We have seen some AR games but they seem too gimmicky so far. Love Plus looks neat. The Magnet project shows some promise but I hope developers put them to good use.

User generated content needs to be taken to the next level too. Sony just announced Project Discovery yesterday. Other than confirming it will involve user generated content, they didn't say much.

I played a Vita for the first time yesterday. The biggest thing that struck me was just how small the face buttons are, I can cover all of them with my thumb! I liked the screen and backtouch, but no sale for me. The new iPad, on the other hand, is already pre-ordered.

Good for you.

:rolleyes:

Oooorrrr.. don't be so sensitive~ I'm counting on people who don't own a Vita yet to keep the pressure on Sony (just so Sony keep improving !). ^_^

With Vita, they have made an impressive platform. PS Suite sounds neat and useful too. However judging from yesterday's Japan event, they still don't know how to communicate their product virtues. They don't know how to talk to the core gamers. Plus there are "rough spots" in Vita they need to address quickly.

Some top Sony execs should probably half their pay and then promise to fix all these issues before getting their full salary back... or something.

Something interesting to try...

Tether Vita to an iPhone using HTML5 (I suspect they use WebSocket in HTML5 to implement this)

This video shows how to use Tether on a PC/Mac:

http://tether.com/tether-relaunches-iphone

The developers behind Tether.com first released its product for BlackBerry in 2009 so users would no longer experience the frustration of being unable to find a WiFi hotspot when most needed. After a little more than two years, Tether.com now provides 500,000 BlackBerry and Android users with a dependable Internet connection for their laptops and desktops, using their existing smartphone data plans.

"It was clear from our initial application iTether, there was enormous demand within the iPhone ecosystem," says Tim Burke, CEO of Tether. "It was unfortunate that Apple decided to remove our application, only 20 hours after we launched. However, this caused us to innovate. Our underlying patent-pending technology behind Tether for iPhone is unlike anything on the market."

Tether's new version for the iPhone is purely based on HTML5 and creates a completely wireless connection over AdHoc. This circumvents the need of buying the application directly from Apple's App Store and allows any iPhone or iPad with a data connection to allow tethering.

The GPS chip in 3G Vita is still good for location-based services. So if this mechanism works, we should have the best of both worlds. ^_^

EDIT: *If* it works with Vita, it should also work with 3DS.

Is sony really serious with the memory card prices ? $20 for 4 gigs and $100 for 32 gigs ? Is this 2005 or something ?

I just bought a 16 gig micro sdhc for $20 .

Another sore spot I noticed was the price of the cables. The dock isn't a bad price , but why is the car charger $20 bucks but you still need a second $15 cable to use it ? Same goes with the dock (not bad for a dock at $35 bucks though) and the ac charger.

Sony still has yet to learn from past mistakes with the pricing of acessorys

I bought the Playstation Vita Starter kit that includes the wrist strap, microfiber cloth, card holder, protective film and the "official PS Vita case and pouch"
What a waste of €25!!
Only the cleaning cloth and the pouch are somewhat usable.
- The wrist strap I didn't even try as it'd just be on the way.
- Card holder, well that might become useful when travelling when I have more than one game on card.
- Protective film, I tried to put it on but it wouldn't stick. It's possible I was doing something wrong as I had thrown the instructions away already. Anyway, never been a fan of these protective films on devices.
- Teh "official PS Vita case", which was mainly what I bought this kit for - utter cr*ap! The Vita needs to snapped on the case so when you want to play it stays attached to the Vita and just hangs there below, adding unnecessary weight and just being generally a nuisance. I thought it would have been just a simple case where you can slip your Vita in and out. Sure you can remove the Vita from the case but it's cumbersome enough not to bother.
- The pouch is a bit too snug fit, but will have to do for now. It's enough to protect the Vita while travelling from cratches, but I'd prefer a harder case.

Love the Vita though, mainly been playing Lumines. Uncharted, WipEout, Stardust and Rayman are great too, but Lumines is just too addictive :)

I don't like protective film either, but it is worthwhile to note that the capacitive screen has been made so sensitive that it registers the touch before you touch the screen, so at least that aspect isn't affected. This is also why it works with thin gloves.

The feb does seem a bit of a waste, we didn't have it here though. That pouch can stand up folded back though I hear which is useful for viseo watching, browsing and such?

The feb does seem a bit of a waste, we didn't have it here though. That pouch can stand up folded back though I hear which is useful for viseo watching, browsing and such?
Not the pouch, but the case should be able to function as a stand too, only it doesn't, not well anyway... I tried it as a stand and just couldn't make it sit straight. The part that should fold and attach with a velcro is a bit too thick and stiff and the base that is thus formed is not flat. So when you put it on table it's usually badly tilted and rocking... not good at all.
Now, compared with the satisfying and elegant experience I've had with iPad and Apples Smart Cover... while Sony's devices are well designed and beautiful, the same can't often be said of their accessories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is sony really serious with the memory card prices ? $20 for 4 gigs and $100 for 32 gigs ? Is this 2005 or something ?

Another sore spot I noticed was the price of the cables. The dock isn't a bad price , but why is the car charger $20 bucks but you still need a second $15 cable to use it ? Same goes with the dock (not bad for a dock at $35 bucks though) and the ac charger.

Use third party chargers. ^_^

I bought the Playstation Vita Starter kit that includes the wrist strap, microfiber cloth, card holder, protective film and the "official PS Vita case and pouch"
What a waste of €25!!
Only the cleaning cloth and the pouch are somewhat usable.
- The wrist strap I didn't even try as it'd just be on the way.

If you have PS Move, use the strap from PS Move.

- Protective film, I tried to put it on but it wouldn't stick. It's possible I was doing something wrong as I had thrown the instructions away already. Anyway, never been a fan of these protective films on devices.

If it's the same as the official Sony Vita protector, check the packaging again. There should be 3 layers of film: The transparent template to "lock" your protector into position, the protector itself, and a third non-adhesive layer to well... protect the protector. ^_^

I did it wrong the first time. Turns out that my screen protector was stuck to the template. Was trying to stick the non-adhesive third layer to Vita. :oops:

The screen protector should work. I applied one to the screen, and another one to the rear touch pad.

It's not a mistake. It is publicly stated policy.
They were surprisingly forthright with the Vita in saying that they pursue a business model with a low threshold of entry, subsidized by licensing fees and profits from accessories.

Personally, I prefer to see my costs up front, but there is a case for this classic console strategy. We'll see how it plays out.

It's not a mistake. It is publicly stated policy.
They were surprisingly forthright with the Vita in saying that they pursue a business model with a low threshold of entry, subsidized by licensing fees and profits from accessories.

Personally, I prefer to see my costs up front, but there is a case for this classic console strategy. We'll see how it plays out.

Personaly , I rather not buy an acessory that is almost half the cost of the system i'm purchasing .

I could see a 32 gig card at say $60 with a 16 gig card at $40 and an 8 at $20 . But seriously at $100 for 32 gigs ? Thats insane and its going to actually drive people away.

Thank god I got the system and two games for free

Personaly , I rather not buy an acessory that is almost half the cost of the system i'm purchasing

Understandable, but that's the way it is at launch. Won't be like this forever. Anyway, I got 16GB for 59 euro, and while that's not cheap, note that the markup for something like an iPad from 16Gb to 32GB version is $99. So it is also not the most expensive thing in the world. I talked about it with a colleague, saying that buying the new iPad with 16GB is already a risky proposition because unless you can stream all your content with iCloud, the higher resolution screen is going to help assets grow to make that 16GB be tiny very quickly. It already feels small on my iPhone 3GS.

At least with the Vita I know I'll be able to upgrade and bigger memory cards will keep coming. I'll probably buy 64GB when that hits 50 euro for instance, and combined, that strategy of getting 16GB now and then 64GB card later is as expesnive as just the markup from iPad 16GB to 32GB, and quite a lot cheaper than the markup from 16GB to 64GB.

I remember reading in GAF that the PSPGo one works and it's cheaper.

Thanks for the info , will buy one and try that out.

Understandable, but that's the way it is at launch. Won't be like this forever. Anyway, I got 16GB for 59 euro, and while that's not cheap, note that the markup for something like an iPad from 16Gb to 32GB version is $99. So it is also not the most expensive thing in the world. I talked about it with a colleague, saying that buying the new iPad with 16GB is already a risky proposition because unless you can stream all your content with iCloud, the higher resolution screen is going to help assets grow to make that 16GB be tiny very quickly. It already feels small on my iPhone 3GS.

At least with the Vita I know I'll be able to upgrade and bigger memory cards will keep coming. I'll probably buy 64GB when that hits 50 euro for instance, and combined, that strategy of getting 16GB now and then 64GB card later is as expesnive as just the markup from iPad 16GB to 32GB, and quite a lot cheaper than the markup from 16GB to 64GB.

But its not like the ipad doesn't have other features to make up for its lack of space.

The pricing on flash cards is just way out of wack . I thought I'd could use this to replace my touchpad running ICS for movies . I figured it be smaller and easier to carry , but at this point my to buy 32 gigs of flash for the vita i'd be spending 2/3rds of what i spent on my touch pad.

To me this is just like the first PSP . Sony has no idea how to make compelling hardware anymore nor how to price it. With the PSP it took third party manufactures and converters to micro sd cards to get the prices right and it took hackers to make media playback software and enable codecs that made the psp worth using as a portable media device.

It looks like we are going to need those same people to make the vita worthwhile and you'd have though sony would have learned their lessons .

Back