Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

onQ123 found new Vita tech slides:
http://onq-world.blogspot.com/2011/0...-building.html

Pretty interesting...

BuildingCommunitywithPlayStationNetwork%252815%2529+small.jpg

BuildingCommunitywithPlayStationNetwork%252841%2529+small.jpg

Cross-platform play with what, PS3?

Did they say what the local storage situation is? I think people who want to view video on that screen would want to be able to load some Handbrake rips on it.

Or be able to stream video from a computer like Air Video, Boxee, etc.

Actually, something like Sling would be the best, but not Sling itself, since they make poor hardware and overcharge for their mobile client.

I have seen Sony referred cross-platform play as Vita + PS3. I doubt it is a hard and fast rule. They probably won't murder the developers for doing a PC (say... Planetside or FFXIV) + Vita play.

DLNA is supported on Vita. It can take memory cards too but pricing is unknown at this point. AVCHD playback is probably supported since Sony make cameras.

DLNA is supported on Vita. It can take memory cards too but pricing is unknown at this point. AVCHD playback is probably supported since Sony make cameras.
Actually, that could provide an extra niche function. A really good camcorder preview screen wouldn't go amiss. PS3 already has direct access to my Sony camera's AVCHD files (although their player sucks). The same on Vita, connecting via USB and streaming content, would be pretty sweet.

Even better (and I'm just dreaming here), add direct preview out so and mount the Vita on the back of the camcorder to use it live.

Patsu from Neogaf, I felt with PS3, PSP the ui etc was designed by the Bravia or Camera division. Basically more suited to 35 year old tech enthusiasts than hardcore or casual gamers. The Vita has and needs that gamey lick of paint.

Really hope that they support remote mirror just like in iOS 5 so I can output PS Vita to my bigscreen

They're not doing that right?

Because they don't want it to compete against their console business?

When the willingness of people to carry an additional device specifically for gaming is in question, why not give people a reason to buy for use at home?

Especially when most smart phones and tablets will soon be able to output to the big screen?

Vita won't be just for gaming. It'd most likely for entertainment since music and video players are included, and Sony sells movies, music and games.

Would be interesting to see how they integrate both Vita and PS3 though. They have been planning the UltraViolet scheme for years. Hopefully they can come with some sensible pricing to allow anywhere entertainment. It won't work if I need to buy a Vita game and a PS3 game separately to resume game sessions.

Patsu from Neogaf, I felt with PS3, PSP the ui etc was designed by the Bravia or Camera division. Basically more suited to 35 year old tech enthusiasts than hardcore or casual gamers. The Vita has and needs that gamey lick of paint.

Heh heh, I joined B3D before signing up with GAF.

While XMB is clearly a UI designed for consumer devices (from cellphones to TV), it has good art. Vita is much more functional but the screens they show are too cluttered. Now they may be trying to demonstrate that the Vita UI is highly skinnable but they should have shown just one or two themes in a consistent fashion.

The Vita screens we talk about can be seen in this GAF thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441606

The Vita screens we talk about can be seen in this GAF thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441606

My favorite comments from that thread:

Worst UI ever. I don't know how anyone can like it. It looks like random shit of different shapes and sizes thrown on a cheap blue background that reminds me of Windows ME.

looks pretty damn messy if you ask me, everything looks different, confusing for the sake of it

Looks like shit, too cluttered and it doesn't give the feeling of a integrated style.

Maybe I'm just bitter, old, and set in my ways, but I think it looks like crap. What was wrong with the XMB? It's self-explanatory, clean looking, and easy to use. This is a just a cluttered jumble of bubbles and bullshit. Just because there's a touchscreen doesn't mean everything has to be huge. I don't need a dialing wand to use the phone, so please tone it down a bit. Instead of looking elegant and sleek like the XMB, it looks bulbous and clumsy, which doesn't seem like a good fit for something like the Vita.

This looks like an inconsistent, stylistic mess.
Somebody please bring back the XMB.
Wow, looks like a child's work of art. Awful.

:LOL:

Anyway I just cannot believe there's nobody at Sony smart enough to design a new Touch based XMB GUI. :rolleyes:

They're not doing that right?

Because they don't want it to compete against their console business?

When the willingness of people to carry an additional device specifically for gaming is in question, why not give people a reason to buy for use at home?

Especially when most smart phones and tablets will soon be able to output to the big screen?

I dont think it is in question. Nintendos missteps with the 3DS doesnt mean the product categories doomed . Infact with Skype, app store etc might the Vita eat into ios specifically marketshare?.

My favorite comments from that thread:

:LOL:

Anyway I just cannot believe there's nobody at Sony smart enough to design a new Touch based XMB GUI. :rolleyes:

To be fair, there are positive comments in that thread too. The Vita UI is very functional. But it's ladden with bad art and some inconsistencies. It's further aggravated by their awful choice in demo themes. It should not take much to change though. The basic navigation seems sound and cute:

Good thing they delayed the western launch.

EDIT: I think the Store may need a bigger change.

I dont think it is in question. Nintendos missteps with the 3DS doesnt mean the product categories doomed . Infact with Skype, app store etc might the Vita eat into ios specifically marketshare?.

Well... they may be able to target the weakest member, the iPod Touch. But doing those apps individual won't change the picture much. The key selling point will still be exclusive titles, and a new experience. Vita is still a little short on the second point.

Would be interesting to see if Sony contact HP regarding the WebOS team. According to HP, WebOS runs 2-3 times faster than iOS on iPad 2. If true, then the OS may form a good foundation for future devices.

Well... they may be able to target the weakest member, the iPod Touch. But doing those apps individual won't change the picture much. The key selling point will still be exclusive titles, and a new experience. Vita is still a little short on the second point.

Would be interesting to see if Sony contact HP regarding the WebOS team. According to HP, WebOS runs 2-3 times faster than iOS on iPad 2. If true, then the OS may form a good foundation for future devices.

The problem with WebOS is that it is based on a Linux kernel, which is licensed under the GPL. Sony might not like releasing the kernel sources for the system they ship.

Granted they'd have the ability to check the signature of the kernel image before booting to make sure it was an official Sony kernel, so in theory that wouldn't put the security of the kernel at risk, but I imagine right about now they've had enough with Linux for awhile.. ;)

Ah too bad ! ^_^

The team would still come in handy for low level OS work though. Sony posted jobs for porting Android and other software to its devices some time ago. I am guessing their Playstation Suite work will require more people than they think since they have so many devices.

Vita won't be just for gaming. It'd most likely for entertainment since music and video players are included, and Sony sells movies, music and games.
However, they left out external device connectivity, and all the smart devices do these mutli-entertainment things too. So where my friend bought a PSP for watching movies, now he has an Asus tablet (very classy with detachable keyboard) and has squat interest in a Vita. Vita's value as an all-round entertainment device is facing serious competition, meaning it's the gaming aspect alone that'll swing a purchase or not. Or putting it another way, the choice is a cheap mobile phone without media playback and Vita, or a full-feature mobile phone. The first choice offers better gaming but two devices, which is hardly convenient. The latter is a more useful integrated package.

Back