Sony's Gamers' Day 2006 (PS3 launch details etc.)

Thats pretty stupid if you ask me, if you want to include a sample disc to show off the quality of what blu-ray can do, why show off the movie in a potential poorer quality release.
I guess it depends on the quality. If the HDDVD disc is including extras, the total size of the movie could be about the same, 25GB. As long as TN doesn't use MPEG2, IQ should be comparable given decent authoring. Now if TN is a 25 GB MPeg2, it's a stupid move that'll go to demonstrate how unfortunate it is you're buying a BRD player in PS3 rather than an HDDVD player...

The PS3 version of the TDN will be on a BD25, with no extras and such. Unforunately it'll be in direction comparison competition with King Kong budled with the 360 HD DVD add on. From all report, King Kong is THE reference title in terms of quality and will likely be for some time. King Kong will have all the extra's and such. I believe it's also a combo so really you could flip it over and see how the HD DVD version stacks with the standard DVD, which I think will be a cool feature for most new comers to the High Def market.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8725621&&#post8725621

"Well folks I posted on some other thread yesterday that I had spoken with David Bishop and in passing I asked him whether Talledega Nights would be on 25 or 50 (the freebie version with the PS3, that is).

He told me 50. I reported as such. Then………….that wise owl Darin got me really thinking about it (why on earth would Sony put this version of Talle on BD 50 ??????).

Sooes…….. I spoke to David today again and I says looks, “are you sure that the Talledega Nights that is included with the PS3 is on a BD50 disc?â€

He says, without hesistantion…..â€No it’s on a 25.â€

Brief pause to gather myself.

Honestly, when I originally asked him about Talledega Nights, a few weeks ago, we were discussing a multitude of things and the topic of what size disc Talledega Nights would be on …….was not really at the top of the priority list.

As I said above, I simply asked him in passing during an extended discussion about other things and I presume he misspoke because he was thinking about the version to be released on the Dec. 12 ?date.

My sincere apologies to all.

I would not knowingly report false or even misleading information nor would David, for sure."

I don't see any problems as long as they aren't using MPEG2. MPEG2 gets slaughtered by VC1 when both have the same storage capacity.

I view the move to leave out the extras in the PS3 version akin to MS throwing that bonus mini remote in the Premium 360 at launch. It's a cool bonus but if your a big fan of the movie or want full functionality you'll still have to buy the retail release.

It'll be Mpeg2. If they were using VC-1, the 25GB likely could have the full movie in great quality, and extras. Instead they'll use the full disc capacity for video and LPCM (which is also a space hog btw). I'm hoping they'll pump up the bitrate to make it look great but even with VC-1 I don't think the movie can have the same "WOW" effect as Kong simply due to the amount of CGI usage in Kong and just a different art direction.

The new formats were promised with "new levels of interactivity, amazing picture and sound." Can't say I'm too pleased.

If you guys have any doubts about Sony's commitment to Mpeg2, I suggest reading this interview from Mr. Blu Ray himself.....(the orignial Mr. Blu Ray was fired recently)
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/feature_visitwithsony.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering it's the theatrical release with no extras, I don't see why a 25gb disc wouldn't be enough. There aren't any extras to eat up space and with decent authoring a movie like TN wouldn't necessarily need the highest bitrate to look rather fantastic (as far as avoiding the common issues with compression).

Even if the TN transfer was better quality than the King Kong one, it likely still wouldn't be as impressive... TN isn't exactly the kind of movie that will gain much from going HD, certainly not like King Kong would. Going to be an uphill battle if it's going to be directly compared to King Kong -- it's an unfair fight as far as movies choices go.

Sony really should have gone with something like Spider Man 2 or some action movie where visuals were at least mildly important to the movie.

With that said, I certainly am not disappointed to get a free movie (one that was pretty good too!).

See THAT sucks. I read up on AVS forum, and if it is using mpeg2 at high bitrate it should also be using bd-50. Although we could get lucky (not likely) and Sony could use MPEG4 AVS. Definetly concerned about what kind of message this will send to the early adopters. (I mean hell MS is giving you a retail movie before it come out...) Yet at the same time I can understand Sony not wanting to upset the other movie houses. A coupon may have been a better move...

@bad_boy: I am one of those impulse ppl. I didn't wanna XTS either, but I ended up at BB for it (waiting in line all night). I am moving from Hawaii back to the mainland. So getting a preorder would do me no good (especially since I should be back in the main land in two weeks at the latest). So if I do get a PS3 it will be from BB just like the XTS.

Wanted to say that now I'm seeing conflicting reports on Kong being a combo disc. It might not be but it was initially announced as one. Might have changed. Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks for keeping us up to date..

Now just left to wonder what you're preparing a demo for :p AFAIK there are no more major press events for the rest of the year, at least..

Actually, the console launch will be the major press event of the year ;)

A launch day downloadable demo would be an excellent move by Ninja Theory and would be extremely well received by gamers.

Ouch. TN el cheapo bundle wouldn't hurt so bad if it weren't in direct competition with a Xbox360 HDDVD player + Full King Kong HDDVD bundle...
Not that King Kong was a huge hit. It was a big success but not as big as many people expected. Still...

To me KK was a HUGE hit. A half a billion dollars is huge to me. I wish TN was on a 50, but I'll take what I can get for free.

Back