Sony's Gamers' Day 2006 (PS3 launch details etc.)

I know they are cheap for adding in a $25 BD one month before release and give it to us for free. Freaking cheapskates. :rolleyes:
Well, the thing is, it's not a $25 BD. The $25 dollar one would be the one on BD-50 with all the extras.

I don't understand the fascination with the layer count of the disc. Surely whether you like the movie far, far outweighs the importance of the disc being 50 GB. Sony giving out a bunch of 50 GB BR discs will not really do much to increase demand for 50 GB discs.

Umm... if going by the previous 50GB released movies, if they ship a 50GB version of the movie, it should be much better quality than 25GB discs. This isnt about caring about how many layers is on the disc, this is about wanting more quality. It would be the perfect sample movie to ship with the PS3 to display what blu-ray can do.

which is why my first BRD movies will be kingdom of heaven + black hawk down. :)

Oh so you are saying this is the horrible version? Care for a link?
No, I'm saying you're playing with numbers. The truth is the $25 version is not being packaged in the box (since that's what started this discussion--the regular priced, BD-50 version with all the extras is not included in the box).

'Course, any freebie is nice in my book...

Our shipping date is a bit further out I beleive and we are perfectionists to boot, so it was decided to polish a bit more... The restart bug is fixed (touch wood it hasn't come back!) but now we are a polishing and improving. Don't worry the demo is coming, we just trying to make sure we don't disappoint, expectation are pretty high so was decided to spend a little longer on it.

Thanks for the repply, its nice to know that the bug is finally dead. Can you comment on what the cause of the restart bug was?

On a side note, does anyone know which Heavenly Sword build is being used in the Akihabara event?

Umm... if going by the previous 50GB released movies, if they ship a 50GB version of the movie, it should be much better quality than 25GB discs. This isnt about caring about how many layers is on the disc, this is about wanting more quality. It would be the perfect sample movie to ship with the PS3 to display what blu-ray can do.

which is why my first BRD movies will be kingdom of heaven + black hawk down. :)
Good news: quasi-confirmation of it being on BD-50:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8717988&&#post8717988

Penton-Man …. “Could you please tell me if this movie (Talledaga Nights in the PS3 box)will be on BD-25 or BD-50 ?â€

Source…..â€Taledega is in the box. It's a 50.â€

What is the source ?
Source……personal communication with David Bishop……

Who’s David Bishop?...............................................
Worldwide President for SPHE.

And yet a little later on in the same post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8708441&&#post8708441. which makes no sense to me. Why put the movie on BD-50, just to turn around and make it the theatrical, no extras, version. Sounds like they are sticking to MPEG-2 at some ridiculously high bit rate (if the BD-50 is filled up).

More Sony crazyness going on, they still can't manage to release their own Blue Ray player. WTF?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=740201

And yet a little later on in the same post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8708441&&#post8708441. which makes no sense to me. Why put the movie on BD-50, just to turn around and make it the theatrical, no extras, version. Sounds like they are sticking to MPEG-2 at some ridiculously high bit rate (if the BD-50 is filled up).
I would guess that the encoding is the same, but they remove the extras for marketing reasons. That is, if you're a huge fan of the movie, you'll buy the one with the extras. Otherwise, you just got a nice, free movie.

It makes sense to me: they are trying to give a demo of high def movies while trying not to cannibalize their movie sales.

I would guess that the encoding is the same, but they remove the extras for marketing reasons. That is, if you're a huge fan of the movie, you'll buy the one with the extras. Otherwise, you just got a nice, free movie.

It makes sense to me: they are trying to give a demo of high def movies while trying not to cannibalize their movie sales.

If that is the case then why use the BD-50? The movies sans-extras should fit on a BD-25 comfortably. I think there is more to this than we know so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that is the case then why use the BD-50? The movies sans-extras should fit on a BD-25 comfortably. I think there is more to this than we know so far.
I think the obvious answer would be to give the best quality possible to show off. Yeah it could fit on 25GB as shown by the movies before it, but @ what sacrifices?

I think Sis put it best.
Sis said:

It is more likely that they wanted to differentiate the promotional copy from the retail version.

It is more likely that they wanted to differentiate the promotional copy from the retail version.

Uhhh, that is the confusing part. We are getting the theatrical version of the movie, not the unrated (plus extras) version. I have every intention on getting a PS3 (probably not when it comes out due to my separation), and will enjoy getting movies in an HD format that I can't get with HD-DVD. I am just worried that this version of TN won't be the best it can and will disappoint a large amount of people.

Uhhh, that is the confusing part. We are getting the theatrical version of the movie, not the unrated (plus extras) version. I have every intention on getting a PS3 (probably not when it comes out due to my separation), and will enjoy getting movies in an HD format that I can't get with HD-DVD. I am just worried that this version of TN won't be the best it can and will disappoint a large amount of people.

Well, it IS a freebie... In the end, it would have been either that or a demo disc. Personally i would prefer a whole movie - even if it's not the version with extras and all that - instead of a disc full of trailers. And personally i would have preferred a disc full of game demos, but i guess we can download them on the HDD anyway...

It is true however that this could create the wrong idea in people of the quality of Bluray movies. As long as Sony make it clear that the disc is just a promotional disc and that all other Bluray movies come chuck full of extras, they should be fine.

1. If your not getting a ps3 when it comes out, chances are you probably wont even get the movie bundled; remember first 500,000.

2. I'm not really sure how something free will make 'a large amount of people' complain. 2 weeks ago (when people pre-ordered) most people didnt know they were even getting a free movie.

1. If your not getting a ps3 when it comes out, chances are you probably wont even get the movie bundled; remember first 500,000.

2. I'm not really sure how something free will make 'a large amount of people' complain. 2 weeks ago (when people pre-ordered) most people didnt know they were even getting a free movie.

The first 500K are already sold out arent they? (400K US, 100K Japan) So this is really just a launch day promotional. I think the BD-50 choice may be based on the codec they used to encode the movie...the size savings VC1 might have over MPEG2 might make the difference here...

The PS3 version of the TDN will be on a BD25, with no extras and such. Unforunately it'll be in direction comparison competition with King Kong budled with the 360 HD DVD add on. From all report, King Kong is THE reference title in terms of quality and will likely be for some time. King Kong will have all the extra's and such. I believe it's also a combo so really you could flip it over and see how the HD DVD version stacks with the standard DVD, which I think will be a cool feature for most new comers to the High Def market.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8725621&&#post8725621

"Well folks I posted on some other thread yesterday that I had spoken with David Bishop and in passing I asked him whether Talledega Nights would be on 25 or 50 (the freebie version with the PS3, that is).

He told me 50. I reported as such. Then………….that wise owl Darin got me really thinking about it (why on earth would Sony put this version of Talle on BD 50 ??????).

Sooes…….. I spoke to David today again and I says looks, “are you sure that the Talledega Nights that is included with the PS3 is on a BD50 disc?”

He says, without hesistantion…..”No it’s on a 25.”

Brief pause to gather myself.

Honestly, when I originally asked him about Talledega Nights, a few weeks ago, we were discussing a multitude of things and the topic of what size disc Talledega Nights would be on …….was not really at the top of the priority list.

As I said above, I simply asked him in passing during an extended discussion about other things and I presume he misspoke because he was thinking about the version to be released on the Dec. 12 ?date.

My sincere apologies to all.

I would not knowingly report false or even misleading information nor would David, for sure."

Thats pretty stupid if you ask me, if you want to include a sample disc to show off the quality of what blu-ray can do, why show off the movie in a potential poorer quality release. Makes no sense imo besides saving them money imo. They should just take the movie out and include component cables.

Looks like ill be picking up KoH and BHD on day one. :/

Ouch. TN el cheapo bundle wouldn't hurt so bad if it weren't in direct competition with a Xbox360 HDDVD player + Full King Kong HDDVD bundle...
Not that King Kong was a huge hit. It was a big success but not as big as many people expected. Still...

Back