Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

The LG frame interpolation I've scene is pretty much without noticeable artefacts and very consistent. It's only the latency I'd worry about.
It also depends what it's used on and what data one can feed it.
If you can use whatever motion vectors developer wants it could be very good.

Also it might be interesting choice to use between actual frames to handle micro movements of head and rotations at full fps. (render slightly larger for etc.)

The LG frame interpolation I've scene is pretty much without noticeable artefacts and very consistent. It's only the latency I'd worry about.
I have an older LG and while I have frame interpolation enabled on everything else I wouldn't think it should work well with games.
Reason is that:
*) I forgot to disable it a few times after watching a Bluray, played a 2D game afterwards and the TV couldnt cope with that - the screen broke down in fragments and showed different frames pieced together most of the time.
*) Even though the interpolation works well, you get to know the instances where it doesnt well enough - primary if you center on one point an circle around it. I think this is alot more common in games than in movies.

I think you could do a much better job if you could transfer depth information and motion vectors to the TV, but that would be only an option if you have this available - ie. not possible for most movies (except CG animation) and stuff like refractions or fog would complicate things further.

New surprising details about Samsung VR push:

- they are fully invested into cooperation with Oculus
- they will provide Oculus with new OLED displays [higher than 1080p], but want finished mobile SDK from them
- main driver for Samsung VR will be Samsung Galaxy S6 that will have hardware that is fully optimized for VR [fast display, rotation sensors, most probably 1440p [gotta catch LG :D ]]
- users will slot smartphone into cheap headset shell
- early development demos with SGS5 are already visually very impressive [not strange, that phone has great screen, Abrash used two of them for creation of his "presence" demo]
- initial software push - main VR dashboard for picking apps, focus on multimedia, passive experiences, no concrete plans for active gaming [no controller]
- UI control for VR is still not finalized [most likely head gestures, on-board buttons and voice]
- they will use "back" camera on phone to give users view to outside world [no agumented reality software, camera latency is a issue]
more @ http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/30/samsung-oculus-partnership/

I like what they are doing. No fragmentation of PC headset market, with the help of Oculus they have the chance to promote VR with great hardware to milions of people, bring VR to much more developers, push for adoption of VR media, etc. Plus, Oculus will get the chance to grab fully customized HQ displays for their future headset models. SGS6 will without a doubt provide better image quality than DK2, which is already more than "good enough".

Good move Sammy & Oculus.

New surprising details about Samsung VR push:

- they are fully invested into cooperation with Oculus
- they will provide Oculus with new OLED displays [higher than 1080p], but want finished mobile SDK from them
- main driver for Samsung VR will be Samsung Galaxy S6 that will have hardware that is fully optimized for VR [fast display, rotation sensors, most probably 1440p [gotta catch LG :D ]]
- users will slot smartphone into cheap headset shell
- early development demos with SGS5 are already visually very impressive [not strange, that phone has great screen, Abrash used two of them for creation of his "presence" demo]
- initial software push - main VR dashboard for picking apps, focus on multimedia, passive experiences, no concrete plans for active gaming [no controller]
- UI control for VR is still not finalized [most likely head gestures, on-board buttons and voice]
- they will use "back" camera on phone to give users view to outside world [no agumented reality software, camera latency is a issue]
more @ http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/30/samsung-oculus-partnership/

I like what they are doing. No fragmentation of PC headset market, with the help of Oculus they have the chance to promote VR with great hardware to milions of people, bring VR to much more developers, push for adoption of VR media, etc. Plus, Oculus will get the chance to grab fully customized HQ displays for their future headset models.

Good move Sammy & Oculus.

That's actually really awesome, but is your VR headset going to become a paper-weight if you upgrade your phone? It'll be interested to see how that works. Using your phone as the screen is a really cool idea. I imagine this could make for a pretty cheap VR experience that could actually have good quality.

It's a move with plus points and minus points. Firstly the screen is going to have to operate at 120 Hz, which I'm guessing is going to cost. Secondly it's moving weight forwards. The whole non-screen weight is going to be right at the end of the lever instead of removed via a cable or sat at the back/top. It'll add cost to the phone for those who don't want VR, and it'll add several hundred bucks onto the cost of VR for those who don't want the phone, so remarkably niche IMO. The software is also going to be for a different ecosystem to that of PC and consoles where VR is going to be targeted most heavily, so there's a good chance that Sammy VR owners won't get much to do with their VR headset.

The upside is that buyers of the phone can get VR for a very low price as they don't need to buy a second screen. TBH I've always thought the idea of reselling screens a bit wasteful. With the right standard, screens could become interchangeable and reusable between devices. Buy a great phone with a great screen and use it on your camera as well. Then swap it into your VR headset. Then into a new camera. Then upgrade to a later screen when you want. However, with the pace of screen development this probably wouldn't have been realistic for the last few years. Certainly something to consider going forwards though. Much less wasteful and cheaper.

I think the real excitement here is that screen tech is going to be progressed for the purpose of VR. 1400p 5" phones makes little sense such that resolution progress could have come to a standstill much as TV/monitor res has for the past five years, settling on 1080p, but Samsung are clearly going to just up the numbers for the sake of it.

edit: Actually, the negatives really start to mount up hen you think about them. In a true VR headset, the screen is never touched. In a phone-based one, the screen is going to have fingerprints and possibly scratches and whatever else has stuck onto the screen while it's been in your pocket. The experience is going to be inferior to a true VR headset in every way except possibly screen if Samsung keep their highest quality screen exclusive to the S6. If they supply OVR with the same high quality screen, the standalone headset running of any device is clearly the better option for pretty much everyone. Only someone who buys an S6 and wants VR and doesn't want to buy a full-priced OR headset will benefit from being able to buy a simple slot-in headset that will provide an inferior experience.

I dont think that ~150g of phone weight will be that large problem. It will minor inconvenience that many will not even be aware that it exist. As for refresh rate, DK2 operates at 75Hz max [60 is also fully supported if dev/user want it], Sammy will probably aim at that or maybe 90Hz.

I imagine this could make for a pretty cheap VR experience that could actually have good quality.
With 1440p it will look better than DK2, that's for sure.

early development demos with SGS5 are already visually very impressive [not strange, that phone has great screen, Abrash used two of them for creation of his "presence" demo]

Yes they certainly do. I saw a SGS5 in store (will be my phone when I upgrade in a month most likely) and it looks like a painting as the saying goes.

The newest Samsung AMOLED's I think just cant be equaled by any LCD. There used to be tradeoffs with the tech, such that top end LCD was often considered superior, but AFAIK the latest iteration's, starting with the Note 3 and now the SGS5, are unrivaled. Even though the tech media doesn't like to give Sammy credit (they're all HTC fanboys) so you may not read much about it. For example AMOLED's used to be typically dimmer than LCD, but the SGS5 screen is pretty much the brightest available at top setting, brighter than any LCD. Also, the white's on past Samsung phones often looked just wrong (on my SGS3 there's a sickly blue/gray tint to white) but on the SGS5, white looks pure and brilliant (could have been calibration I guess, but whatever the issue it's fixed).

Like ShiftyGeezer I think this is a mix of positives and negatives, but I'm thinking less of the tech. Two months ago Occulus had a clear focus, now it's got whatever baggage Facebook have brought (bought) with their money and I don't think anybody seriously expect Facebook's buyout not to impact the core gaming focus. And now with have this. Surely they want less distractions to delivery the Rift, not more of them, particularly not for bloody phones :???:

Actually, the Sammy thing has greater synergy with FB than OVR. Facebook can release FBVR with face-to-face VR meet ups. Just need a way to scan likenesses into the system (Kinect, where are you?!). Sony could also reshape Home into a VR social centre - that might do very well. Depends on what the mentality of the Home audience is, which no-one really knows. ;)

Dear God! I'd hoped they quit with that. Yet the EU PlayStation blog proudly(!) had a "What's New in Home this week" post every 7 days. Again, dear God! :runaway:

Home is currently not profitable for Sony; at least not enough that they want to continue it as is. Insider info is it makes money for the people who sell content on it, but the servers and maintenance means it does Sony no favours. They've cancelled operations in Japan and Asia already. There was actually a great idea with Home from the developers which I can't go into, but Sony weren't interested.

Maybe, perhaps, the quiet about Home on PS4 is because Sony are working on a VR replacement, which makes sense. It'd also have a different framework and so likely be incompatible with the current Home. I therefore doubt it'd be Home, but a new creation.

I dont think that Home will survive much longer. Hopefully more casual Media Molecule 3D object/world sculpting game with big Minecraft focus [TV+ VR] will be it's successor.
http://a.pomf.se/nawdiz.gif

If Sony is smart, they should make that game part of their basic OS offering, pre-installed on every PS4 and with hooks that each game has easy OS link to its own official "world" that is made and moderated by community. That would be excellent way to innovate on the Miiverse. I would very much like to see what will community create in such freely sculpted worlds. Wolfenstein area with would sure be interesting. :)

That's what they should have done with Home too. ;) Captialisting on Minecraft's building-based popularity would be a good idea. However, the interest from Sony would come from selling content and advertising and stuff. If anyone can make whatever they want, selling content becomes moot and the concept breaks as an investment. It could also massively slow the experience as every single object is streamed over the internet, instead of loaded from a library of objects installed on HDD.

Whatever the Home alternative is, it should be a great fit for VR. I don't think a VR based system would need be any different to a non-VR one.

If SOE can finish Everquest Landmark for PS4, and support Move and VR (occulus for the PC version), it will make Home irrelevant, and it will make Minecraft look outdated. It's also something that will be extremely difficult to copycat on XB1, they need a lot of GPU Compute for the realtime conversion from voxels to meshes.

It's funny that Sony's games from SOE are Microsoft exclusives. :LOL:

If SOE can finish Everquest Landmark for PS4, and support Move and VR (occulus for the PC version), it will make Home irrelevant, and it will make Minecraft look outdated. It's also something that will be extremely difficult to copycat on XB1, they need a lot of GPU Compute for the realtime conversion from voxels to meshes.

It's funny that Sony's games from SOE are Microsoft exclusives. :LOL:

wouldn't be a problem with the cloud bro

wouldn't be a problem with the cloud bro
It's already THE CLOUD. It's an MMO. :rolleyes:

But there would be a problem sending the meshes to the client without requiring a lot of continuous bandwidth. Voxels compress like crazy. There's a lot of compromises to be made when the voxels are a few inches.

Back