Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

For me 3D is all about total immersion which requires you to be completely cut off from the outside world. I'm playing 3D Skyrim at the moment and inch myself as close as possible to the screen (I've got to about 18" now!) just so it fills as much of my FOV as possible. Combined with some booming loud headphones it's about as close to VR as you'll get without a headset or a 4K projector.
:smile: :smile: :p That's rad. Or radical. Games can abstract you from life sometimes, judging from your words. pbjliverpool, that method isn't going to get you into VR, I think, because you won't float back up to Earth.

VR is complex because of that, as you describe, to play like that coherently ultimately you have to be rather undisturbed.

While using a VR device you get into another reality, if I understand it correctly -tkf's video made me feel dizzy at some point, still kinda amazing...-.

I'd probably increase the volume not to hear the outside world, because if I could and someone talked to me maybe I'd reply in that situation; 'shut up will ya? I'm tryin' to play'. or... save the world.

Then one can float back up to earth.:p

Oh wow, that really excites me. Just imagine being able to use the Move as a flashlight, pointing it at little details. The potential just seems amazing.

Tempted to get a PC and buy the dev kit 2. I just can't be arsed with all the setup and tweaking. Not being able to change the direction of the torch would really spoil it for me.

Get a move on Sony. ;)

Maybe the talk about Facebook and Occulus and PC should be spinoff to another thread.
Considering how aggressive the off-topic posts are being deleted elsewhere, it means this thread is probably not being monitored. Oh! This is an opportunity I cannot miss...

All the mods are whimps! :p
BRiT especially...

DigitalFoundry have a play with Morpheus and they like it.

DF said:
"After our hands-on experience, the potential here is intoxicating: virtual reality could well become the true next-generation in interactive entertainment that we've been waiting for."

I've been sold on VR for a while and I'm so looking forward to getting this thing. Unless something goes horribly wrong, which seems unlikely given all of the coverage has been overwhelmingly positive (ditto recent Occulus units), this is a day one purchase for me.

VR for me, is nextgen. It's now obvious PlayStation 4 was built with this in mind.

We should also post here that there are rumors that Samsung is racing to release their own VR headset THIS YEAR, with large focus on connectivity with their latest batch of smartphones and tablets.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/22/5741782/samsung-reportedly-building-vr-headset

If it really comes out first, I hope that the product will not be rushed. Both Oculus and Sony are very focused on making their first consumer device "perfect". If Sammy rushes things, they could easily promote inferior experience to millions of people. The last thing we need now is someone to sell VR headset that is making people sick.

If it really comes out first, I hope that the product will not be rushed. Both Oculus and Sony are very focused on making their first consumer device "perfect". If Sammy rushes things, they could easily promote inferior experience to millions of people. The last thing we need now is someone to sell VR headset that is making people sick.
I don't think anyone need worry about rushed inferior experiences. The core PS4 gamer for whom Morpheus is aimed aren't going to be adversely affected by a poor mobile gimmick, and the rest of the world will learn what good VR is from said PS4 owners (assuming Morpheus is good). Sony's only concern is if Samsung's solution is good, but anything powered by mobile is going to be severly limited. Plus, as per EG's preview, Move truly makes the experience. With PSEye and Move, VR comes together for the first all-inclusive tech package. All the half-hearted attempts from Sony may actually all come together in something special!

They can provide standalones and bundles, although IMO they should update Move to add directional sticks/nubs like their handhelds. That'll allow the one device to cover both thumb-input for motion and hand-tracking for arms. The current nunchuck controller would only provide single hand tracking.

Of course, the price is going up. You need a camera and ideally two Move controllers as well as the headset. With a good first-party game though, should be reasonable value, depending on the headset price. A high initial price can be set as the innovators will lap it up.

btw has sony ever talked that morpheus ix exclusive for PS4 or can be used on another device?

integration with their Xperia lines and Vita will be great. Something like watch 3d movie in 3d virtual theathre, streamed from xperia phones or vita. Or even better, PC support. But Sony sold their PC division :/

but to make devs support all of that, doesnt sony need to bundle every Morpheus with moves?

Yoshida confirmed that each VR game needs to support Dualshock 4 for use in VR mode. That way they can satisfy 100% of PS4 users. They also said that combination of DS4 in one hand and Move in other hand is very viable.

There will most probably be very cheap SKU that has only VR headset and video splitter [pls sony make it $149-199], and pricier SKU that adds PS4 camera and 1 move.

btw has sony ever talked that morpheus ix exclusive for PS4 or can be used on another device?
They got asked about PC support at GDC when they unveiled Morpheus. Only PS4 will be supported, but that always can change.

Yoshida confirmed that each VR game needs to support Dualshock 4 for use in VR mode. That way they can satisfy 100% of PS4 users. They also said that combination of DS4 in one hand and Move in other hand is very viable.

There will most probably be very cheap SKU that has only VR headset and video splitter [pls sony make it $149-199], and pricier SKU that adds PS4 camera and 1 move.

They got asked about PC support at GDC when they unveiled Morpheus. Only PS4 will be supported, but that always can change.
They can always surprise us, but I don't see how Sony can sell it for less than $300. It seems to have a significant amount of silicon in the external module, and much more advanced optics than OR. It's a peripheral so they have to make a profit?

They can always surprise us, but I don't see how Sony can sell it for less than $300. It seems to have a significant amount of silicon in the external module, and much more advanced optics than OR. It's a peripheral so they have to make a profit?

Optics is the same. Sony just used LED screen that completely eliminates gaps between pixels [no pixel door effect]. They will most likely switch to some other screen to eliminate blur.

As for splitter, it outputs uninterrupted video feed to headset and takes one part of the screen and stretches it with a fixed function. I don't think that it will be expensive.

Plus audio DSP for the surround sound, I think. Plus R&D recuperation. I think $300 is plausible given the innovator price hike for the initial owners. I'm doubting Sony are going to release this thing with several hundred thousand a month production and an expectation of massive adoption. They'll test the waters cautiously.

Back