Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Discussion in 'VR and AR' started by jayco, Mar 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ERP

ERP Moderator
    Moderator Veteran

There are issues with automatic conversion, games do broad culling based on the camera position and FOV automatic stereo conversion shifts that after culling, so you can end up with polygons visible on the screen that have been thrown away before rasterization.
    But the bigger issues are the shaders that do things in screen space resulting in incorrect depth.

If you're actually doing a patch to support VR most of it's not that much of an issue, though I will say that when Naughty Dog added stereo support to Uncharted, even though they just used the existing multiplayer assets, they say it was much more expensive than they had anticipated to do it properly.

2. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

There are plenty of games that don't work in stereoscopic 3D like you says but is there any reason why those games that DO work in stereoscopic 3D wouldn't work in VR? Assuming you don't try to incorporate any kind of motion control?

3. ERP

ERP Moderator
    Moderator Veteran

Most would likely just work, but there will be issues with the HUD, games seem to like to present information at the periphery of the screen, and that won't work with wide FOV glasses.
    Some will probably also have issues with increasing the FOV, and depending on the aspect ratio there could be issues there, games already massively exaggerate it.

I would think you'd want devs to put in the effort to deliver a good experience.

4. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Polygon interview with Shu Yoshida and Adam Boyes...
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/17/5815678/when-will-project-morpheus-come-out

5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

IMO the quotes should have been:

Which means Sony are playing about but aren't happy with their current results and won't commit to any schedule. Makes it one heck of a gamble for developers, which in turn affects the first prerequisite. How do you launch with great content if devs can't realistically commit?

6. MrFox

Legend Veteran

True, I kind of skipped over the negative stuff... :lol:

That sounds more like a "maybe 2016" release. Right now devs would be simply experimenting, and wouldn't start a big production until Sony gives them a firm release date. Internal studios are a different matter, and the release date would be kept secret even when it's decided.

7. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

For devs thinking about a wholly VR experience, it's hard. Although Sony may be sharing their target launch window with devs - I can't believe the project has an endless blank cheque! For other devs, Sony only need (and did at GDC) to share the type of game design and control considerations to make a game that works on a TV, more easily transferable to VR further down the development line. Ie, DOs and DON'Ts.

I need to view the GDC presentation again and jot down the key considerations. I remember while watching, mentally kicking myself for not thinking about them myself, because they seemed so obvious when they explained them. However old age has worked it's magic and I can't remember a single one now.

Perhaps tomorrow.

8. ERP

ERP Moderator
    Moderator Veteran

If Sony intends to release any time in the next year or so, dev's will have a rough time line.

It's possible they are still trying to feel out the reaction from the press/public and devs, When I was at Sony it was a tiny team, if management thinks it has merit, it could run for a while without being a concrete product.

9. upnorthsox

Veteran

Sounds like the chicken eating it own egg.

10. upnorthsox

Veteran

11. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Why would you say that? He's just being clear that Sony won't release until there is enough good software. Basically he knows it needs a Wii Sports, and he doesn't have it. And until then, they aren't sure the hardware is finished either because the software may need something extra.

But clearly he's promoting the project, and getting devkits out there!

12. MrFox

Legend Veteran

They didn't really precise what is missing for it being ready for launch. They did say tech-wise, the hardware and system software are missing something, but no idea what that is. The lack of release date could be just a question of procurement, or it could be a deeper API or algorithm issue. Developers haven't found the killer app yet, obviously, but it's something industry-wide. They really want this thing to exist but aren't going to push it out and hope someone does something with it. It seems to be the correct course. Whatever is being done on Occulus will be easy to port, so wherever the killer app appears, all competitors will benefit from the discovery.

I don't like the way game journalists always add their own interpretation and exaggerations in-between the real quotes. So here's the interview without any paraphrasing or any journalist interpreting anything, I find it much easier to read. But it's much less dramatic.

13. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

It's very clear to me.

"So, until this happens, until we have enough developers very comfortable producing great experiences, we shouldn't bring this to the market."

14. MrFox

Legend Veteran

15. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Devs won't need to code chromatic aberration into their post-FX pipeline any more...

16. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

17. ERP

ERP Moderator
    Moderator Veteran

Except the suggested optics are $250 a pair

18. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Also, none of the Android phones so far has good sensors for orientation tracking. According to reports, Samsung will integrate into their VR phones highend 1440p screen, fast pixel switching times and fast sensors, all that is needed to make VR run better.

19. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

@MrFox
    Does it come in black?

20. kalelovil

Regular

No they're not.