Sony Playstation Marketing: a quiet place in days gone?

Sony are not just relying on exclusives, they have all those games you mention too! The point I'm making is that the exclusives are what elevate their proposition above the competition. Does XB1 outsell PS4? No. But surely as MS are doing so much right and Sony not/doing so much wrong we'd start seeing a needle pointing that way. And as for using forums did you not read the poll results!? 70% say they are the best with 29% saying 'easily' the best.

PS4 has all the other games too, but so do all other platforms. In the end its the exclusives that set the platform apart. Most people are not buying those exclusives, they are playing CoD, FiFa, Fortnite, Apex, GTA etc.
What? did you even view the results of the poll so far? About 37% think they are better then other games, about 8% of those 37% thinks those exclusives just abit better. The remaining 65% thinks Sony's exclusives aren't better then other games. Reading the comments, that seems to go in line what people vote.

Comments like this are to be found, from user Ogbert:

To give Sony their due, they produce the sort of games that win awards.

Big budget, third person melodramas. They do it well and it garners praise.

I just don't think a single Sony game is a market leader in one critical discipline - gameplay.

Really? They coined the phrase 'Only on Xbox' - they didn't have any real exclusives at all...Halo, Forza, PGR, Forza, Fable, Ninja Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon, Shenmue 2 and more.

Compare the OG Xbox lirbary to the PS2's, its not even funny. That and many OG Xbox games made it to PC or vice-versa.

Yes, if the hardware launches a year later, is substantially more to buy, has inferior 3rd party games, lacks 'must buy' exclusives etc etc - it might only sell ~85 million.

So GoW PS3, GT, KillZone 2, LBP, The Uncharted games, InFamous, MGS4, Resistance Fall of man etc are lacking AAA exclusives? I might agree with you, but i don't think those titles are that much worse then what the PS4 currently has to offer. It shows on the other hand that AAA exclusives are not lifting a platform alone, there's more to it then releasing massive hyped exclusives i think. Sony's AAA's are great, but they cerntainly aren't the best in the industry, and they alone don't secure a platform war win either.

Never stop not giving up hope.

I'm with you, big hopes for Sony's PS5.

Name the games with best gameplay so we can understand what you mean.

I have no idea what he's talking about. He's saying exclusives don't sell consoles, but they do sell consoles!? He says Original Xbox had no true exclusives and when I pointed out it did the retort was 'and so did PS2'. Then there's using a poll result from NeoGAF to 'prove' Sony exclusives are not great or important whilst pointing out that exclusives are what set the consoles apart.

I thought my tinfoil hat comment was off the scale but even I'm lost! :D

I have no idea what he's talking about. He's saying exclusives don't sell consoles, but they do sell consoles!? He says Original Xbox had no true exclusives and when I pointed out it did the retort was 'and so did PS2'. Then there's using a poll result from NeoGAF to 'prove' Sony exclusives are not great or important whilst pointing out that exclusives are what set the consoles apart.

I thought my tinfoil hat comment was off the scale but even I'm lost! :D
I was trying to provoke a list war, but BRiT decided to cockblock it with Life of Black Tiger.

This is it. The mother lode.

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Zen 2.
Ray-tracing
3D audio processing
SSD on PCIe4 lanes.
PS4 BC.
PSVR works on PS5.
No 2019 launch.
The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. While ray tracing is a staple of Hollywood visual effects and is beginning to worm its way into $10,000 high-end processors, no game console has been able to manage it. Yet.
I puked in my mouth while reading this nonsensical hyperbolic trash. Paid "jounarlism" FTW /s

Seems I had forgotten this thread.

Lots I could argue against, but I'm going to leave it at this - you're basically doing Sony's job of marketing for them. You're having to explain to me why I should trust in a future for PlayStation, and how I should perceive BC (although your argument for BC only looked at PS3 and not PS1 and PS2 BC). Isn't that exactly the point, that Sony themselves should be doing this? If BC is a cert, why not come out and say it? Why leave it to people to dig up patents and present arguments on forums?
No, this isn't marketing.
Marketing would mean trying to misinform a large uninformed audience to Sony's advantage. I was informing a small informed audience to one's advantage but the audience itself.

I was just showing the number of facts that lead to a strong prediction. Sony registering all those BC-related patents, plus strong indications that they were going full AMD again with x86 CPU and Radeon GPU would most probably mean BC for PS5, like they did with PS1->PS2->(1st gen) PS3. And this didn't happen from PS3 to PS4 because the architectures were too different making it a lot harder.

This is a relatively small forum in a thread with a relatively small audience. If I wanted to do marketing for Sony I wouldn't come to B3D, let alone a thread like this where users were "afraid" that the PS5 was only going to have remakes.

As for one of my previous points, regarding Sony's marketing:

We don't know how the communications for 2019 will be. The State of Play was announced only 3 days before happening, and if Sony is continuing with this method then there's no way to know how often they will engage with their audience.

So once again we just got another surprise communication from Sony. We didn't have to wait until E3 to know CPU arcthitecture, GPU architecture, mass storage features, BC and dedication to PSVR.

And when was the last time we had another formal communication from Sony? Exactly 3 weeks ago with State of Play.
So much for the supposed "Quiet Place" from Sony's marketing that is plastered in the thread's title, huh?

Oooh they're silent because everything is going wrong with the software and hardware! It must be!
The FUD rethoric in this thread makes as much sense now as it did when it started.

Back