Sony Halo, KILLzone hype thread!

Evil_Cloud said:
OCII engine = Himalaya engine
Too bad appeal closed down, it was a talented developer :(
Yep, before Appeal closed its doors, OCII was one of my most anticipated games for PS2.
Wasn´t there some rumor after cancellation of OCII, that Atari (Infogrames) wanted to create a game using the Himalaya engine?

KZ was in development loooong before Appeal closed. There are rumors some people went to Lost Boys though (although most of them went to form a new company - Playlogic)

marconelly! said:
KZ was in development loooong before Appeal closed.
I know.
The idea rushed into my mind, when i heard that some former Appeal employees may have joined Lost Boys, helping them with their know-how.

...I want to see real Pics.... NOW. :)

Gandalf said:
marconelly! said:
KZ was in development loooong before Appeal closed.
I know.
The idea rushed into my mind, when i heard that some former Appeal employees may have joined Lost Boys, helping them with their know-how.

...I want to see real Pics.... NOW. :)

I've got some contacs with the editors of an official PlayStation magazine (I know them personally) When I asked them about Kill Zone they were not allowed to speak about it. So I guess that we'll see screens in about 1 to 2 weeks :)

EXCLUSIVE: GUERRILLA WARFARE FOR KILLZONE CREATOR

Lost Boys is no more, as a new identity and renewed focus beckons for the creator of the, dare we say it again, PS2 "Halo-beater" - full details inside

18:11 The subject of frighteningly fevered speculation in all corners of the Internet right now, we can exclusively reveal that the developer of the not-so-secret Sony first-person shooting behemoth Killzone, has changed its name to reflect its enhanced position in the marketplace and separation from the parent company.
'Guerrilla' as the company will henceforth be known, comprises talent from across the continent, including former members of Lionhead, Bullfrog, The Bitmap Brothers and Disney. The name change was due to be made official at the same time Sony finally lifts the lid on the massively anticipated PS2 FPS, Killzone, billed by insiders as the console's "Halo-beater".

A spokesperson for Guerrillam whose parent company is Media Republic, confirmed the name change to us, stating: "We are changing our name because of the need to distance ourselves from Lost Boys, who we still have strong links with, but we're not part of them anymore.

"The business side of things is all changed now. The company has been re-registered at the Chamber of Commerce and so on. We're just going on with the cosmetic changes now."

Aside from Killzone, however, Guerrilla has another big game in the pipeline: "We've got two major games in development," we were told. "The other [aside from Killzone] I can tell you even less about. It's signed to a publisher, but no announcement has been made. You won't be seeing it this year."

But as an intriguing aside, we did learn how Sony became involved with Killzone initially: "The guys working on it were working on a licensed product for another company and the deal fell through," the spokesperson said. "But the technology was really good so they kept working on that and made a rolling demo which was shown to Sony. Then after pre-production they snapped it up."

Killzone has now become one of the hottest properties in gaming, despite the bulk of the game remaining a closely guarded secret. Earlier this week we revealed the first hints of gameplay and an apparent final decision on the name, while speculation reached fever pitch across the globe.

All that remains now is for Sony Europe to put us out of our misery and just show the damn thing! Come on, guys - do you want us to beg?
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=92402

What a strange name....

"Strong sources around the net(several) are saying that Kin/Killzone will be unveiled around 14-15 june. This weekend in other words.

What is Kin/Killzone? You can't truly be told what it is, you have to see it for yourself...apparantly. But a long story short; Kin/Killzone is a fps action game that's set in the very near future and which involves the military. It's being made by the Netherlandic(?) developer, Lost boys and has been under developement since 2000.

It will be a game that's somewhat influenced from other fps games like Half-life but apparantly, the game includes a very cool new gameplay feature which they are refering to as "Killzone". No one knows what it is yet though.

The game has been confirmed to be online compatibe. Up to 16 players actually and it will include several online modes.

The graphics and game engine is probably the main things that will truly set it apart from other PS2 titles though. It will use a new and revolutionary engine; the game will almost completely consist of NURBS, something only the PS2 has the horsepower to do realistically of the current consoles(thanks to it's very powerfull cpu trio), and it will also incorporate very high-res textures thanks to a new pipeline streaming technice this guys have come up with(apparantly, the game will show of hundreds of megabytes of textures despite the PS2's 32mb ram).

People who have seen it have said that it looks absolutelty amazing and they never thought something like that could be made on the PS2. They also said that The Lost Boys are hard at work on making it look better than Halo 2 and the trick is to make it run at 60fps(apparantly, it looks about the same in still but they are trying to make it run twice as smooth too). Something which they have accomplished in singleplayer apparantly though the multiplayer still runs at 30-60fps with 16 players. The game enviroments are said to be huge too.

That's pretty much info about a game that's just its existance has been officially announced don't you think? Take it with a grain or two with salt though as it still is a PS2 were talking about here but we can always hope "

Taken from GAF, who took it from PSXN, but was orphaned before that.

Apeearently 'NURBS' is the new 'DOT3/Bumpmapping' catchphrase in the hype world. If it looks good... it must 'have' some NURBS. heh.. People are funny.

Apeearently 'NURBS' is the new 'DOT3/Bumpmapping' catchphrase in the hype world. If it looks good

Its not a new catchphrase, its just making another come back, never really catch on. Its just never deliver, unlike bumpmapping, which visually difference.

Using NURBS, your surface patches need to have very high tesselation, to match the per pixel technique.

Yea, NURBS are nothing specially really, just handy for organic shapes/surfaces (atleast in offline rendering).

I'll be disappointed if it looks just 'as good as Halo' but runs 60fps.
Halo is not a very good looking game, IMO.

rabidrabbit said:
I'll be disappointed if it looks just 'as good as Halo' but runs 60fps.
Halo is not a very good looking game, IMO.

I agree - but I'd rather have a game with subpar graphics locked at 60 than a HALO2 at 30.

NURBS is a big caveat... A NURBS surface has to be rectangular, and the control vertices are always layed out in a grid. Thus, building complex shapes from them is hard as you cannot create branching structures from one surface; and modeling organic detail with a grid-structure isn't easy either. You can build a ground plane easily, but even a simple shirt is problematic because of the sleeves not to mention the nose and the eyes on a human face.
There are two main methods to create complex surfaces from NURBS:

One is to use "trimming", drawing a curve on a surface, and making the part on one of its sides invisible. You can then use this curve to generate a "blend" surface to connect to a second NURBS surface and so on. I'd rather not get into details, it's quite complicated.

The other method is to use many small patches stitched together at the edges. This is an art in itself, designing patch networks for different models and building them - and we're not talking about the scuplting of shapes, it's still just the technical background.
The problem is that the stitching isn't static, it's basically the program trying to hold seperate pieces of the object together. So you could guess where the problem comes in: when you try to deform the surface, which is a must for skinning characters. Tiny cracks can appear between patches, and the problem is magnified with displacement mapping.

CAD users still prefer NURBS for their infinite smoothness and mathematical background. Then again, cars and other industrial stuff are static.

Movie studios have been using patches since Terminator 2 and had problems with them all the time. When all else fails, the cracks between patches are painted out frame by frame. This is still happening with movies like LOTR and such, after more than 10 years of research in NURBS patches!

Subdivision surfaces are indeed the future for organic stuff. The layout of the vertices is arbitrary, which is preferred for characters; and there has to be only one continuous surface thus cracks are avoided too. Also, the arbitrary topology usually results in less vertices and thus smaller datasets then NURBS; and it's a lot less calculation heavy as there's no tangency and surface continuity to compute for each frame. Most movie effects houses are already transitioning, with Weta and Gollum as a prime example.

I see no reason for realtime graphics to mess with NURBS for organics; they can just as well skip this step. The Nvidia Dawn and Ogre demos are using subdivs already, so it's most likely going to be the industry standard.

Laa-Yosh, excellent post as usual. I think NURBS are turning into a catch-all phrase for any form of HOS, thus I doubt (as your post well articulates the reasons for) that their utilizing NURBS per-say.

OT: Are you familiar with Catmull-Clark Surfaces? What's the difference between them and a normal B-Spline? I'm guessing it would be concerning the vertex placement? Read an article that briefly talked about them awhile ago and never found out exactly.

The new UK OPSM2 mag has nothing on KillZone, even though last issue it was advertised that there would be a big story of this 'most amazing game ever'.

But they do have tits again, and pointing to 'continental size pacchetto'

Back