Sony Halo, KILLzone hype thread!

Tsmit42 said:
Did you guys scan those pics yourself or did you find it on the internet? If you scanned it yourself, how much better does the game look in the magazine?

AFAIK, the images were scanned by someone (on the GA board?) from the UK's PSM and the shot itself is blown up quite alot infact. Original AFAIK:

killzone.jpg

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

It tells that it's a FPS game with futuristic soldiers. That's about it.

You can see your character smashing the opponent with the weapon he's holding.

IGN also has what they claim to be a confirmed information about the game:

- Contrary to rumors reporting such, Sony has not purchased or has plans to purchase the Lost Boys development studio; at least, not in the foreseeable future.

- The official title of the game is not Kin, but instead it will be known as Killzone -- as has been speculated.

- Up to this point, no one outside of Sony and Lost Boys has actually played the game. The Europeans who have seen it have only been privileged enough to watch it in video form (and it's a short one at that).

- Killzone will have several multiplayer options and online play.

- Killzone is most definitely a first-person shooter.

- The tentative release date is early 2004, but a more likely time is the end of the 2004. All other Lost Boys projects are on the backburner until this is finished.

Demo that came when buying a PS2, called "find my own way"
Is that demo a video presentation or something running at realtime? I'd love to see it, never even heard about it before.

The screens are available has is the video in .wmv format. They are located on 2 website, one is Dutch the other is Italian.

I can't do it yet :( but when I have the ok I will post the links ASAP. But if you search hard enough you should be able to find them. ;)

Coppernut, can you send me a PM with the links?
Wait a sec, if it's on the net already, and everyone can find it if he searches hard enough, what bad would be if you just shoot me a PM with the link :p

So Marco, what are we looking for? heh.
I think Coppernut is talking about the Killzone video. I am also looking for that demo londonboy mentioned.

marconelly! said:
I think Coppernut is talking about the Killzone video. I am also looking for that demo londonboy mentioned.

Check this out:

Some German Site * said:
That a demo Disc is provided with the European PlayStation 2, we knew already somewhat longer. And we reported also already in the middle of October of the fact that a playable version will be contained by ' FIFA 2001 '. Now we know complete contents, which would be there:

Play bar:
' FIFA 2001 ' (sport, I/O)
' SSX Snowboard super-CROSS ' (sport, I/O)
' game game Racing ' (running play, rises up)

Video:
' DEAD or Alive 2 ' (Beat 'em UP, SCEE)
' Fantavision ' (Knobelspiel, SCEE)
' internationally superstar Soccer ' (sport, Konami)
' Ridge Racer 5 ' (running play, SCEE)

Extra:
' YABASIC '
' find My Own Way '
' Attract mode '
' Intro video '
' Credits movie '

' YABASIC ' stand for ' Yet Another basic ' and be a programming language, with which it small application write can. It concerns thereby a quite simple basic variant, how they know some of you still from the PC DOS time. To input of the instructions also a keyboard is supported.

' find My Own Way ' is a kind technology demo, with which for various sound TRACKS in real time beautiful 3D-Grafikmuster is produced. The ' Attract mode ' selects itself by coincidence principle any demo or Movie.

bild03b.jpg

The disc also comes with: http://www.playstation-basic.com

* Some German URL: http://translate.google.com/transla...ay%22+Playstation&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

To add speculation:

- Lost Boys have appearenly liecensed and are using the Havok Physics Engine (I'd assume they mean KillZone aswell). Wonder how it compares.. to.. say, Half-Life2 ;)

- They also have 50-odd employees, origionally divided up into their three projects (SCE, Knights, Call of Dragonfly) aswell as a Technology Group working on Core - which is what they call their Engine Technology. Although rumor says they're fully staffed into the SCE/KillZone at the moment - this would be supported as they claimed a Xmas '02 launch for Knights and Summer '03 for the SCE game...neither of which happened AFAIK.

- Lost Boys Games has employed the Moscow Symphony Orchestra to provide the music for its upcoming games. Lost Boys Games has announced that it will work with the Moscow Symphony Orchestra to provide the music for all of its next generation games.

Thanks for the links Vince. I guess that demo was never distributed with the US PS2s. One day when I mod my PS2 maybe I'll hunt it down and try it out.

As for physics engine, yeah, I believe Killzone uses Havok, which is very capable and respected physics engine (I actually think HL2 itself uses Havok?)

marconelly! said:
As for physics engine, yeah, I believe Killzone uses Havok, which is very capable and respected physics engine (I actually think HL2 itself uses Havok?)

Yes, but Vince gets the tantalizing quotes:

"One of the many features I think that makes this game really stand out is the amazing Havok physics system…All objects really behave as you'd expect them to in the real world. Wait till you see them…"
David Lazarus, Lost Boys, Computer and Video Games Magazine,
June 2001

;) (Did I just refer to myself in the 3rd person.. wierd)

marconelly! said:
Thanks for the links Vince. I guess that demo was never distributed with the US PS2s. One day when I mod my PS2 maybe I'll hunt it down and try it out.

NO, Kill Zone has nothing to do with the demo Find my own way... :LOL:

It's just about some bunnies, and heads flying around (you can adjust speed, you can zoom in out, and that's about it)

But considering the popularity of trash like SOCOM (not just the game, but the environment online), I wouldn't be surprised if this Kin game did well
Huh? The game has an average score of 85%... Is that trash? I know there's cheaters playing it, but people who actually play it, say that it's nothing too terrible.

exactly. SOCOM is my online Nirvana. Whoever bashes it hasn't played it or just sucks at it.

EDIT: but lets stay on topic. Some1 please post those fucking Killzone pics :LOL:

london-boy said:
see, my problem with bump mapping is that it's still "mapping" to a flat ass polygon....
personally the best looking realtime water i've ever seen was the one in the Demo that came when buying a PS2, called "find my own way", wonder if anyone remembers, the song in the background gave the title to the demo... it was an extremely well done Demo, much better than the usual "face demo" or "car demo".. this one showed what can be done in terms of special effects with a machine whose strength is polygons and particles.
the water in that demo was by far the best looking thing i've ever seen rendered in realtime. the movement, the refractions, the specular maps.... it just looks so GOOD. all rendered with LOADS of particles flying around. LOADS as in the hundreds of thousands...
also the demo showed what is probably millions of particles in the "comet" scene... that is one cool representation... there's just so many particles flying around it's not even funny....
as i said, REALLY REALLY good demo, both technically and artistically.... i would be stuck in front of the TV/monitor watching it... mesmerised by those particle effects... of course no game would show that amount of particles in game, but one day i would love a game with that look. it's almost hypnotic (SP?)

water of the "find my own way" demo

water3.JPG

water1.JPG

water2.JPG

My feeling says to me somehow that Killzone could have graphic similarities with OCII:

outcast_screen003.jpg

outcast_screen009.jpg

Afaik some guys of the former Appealteam went to Lost Boys.
Perhaps Killzone uses a modified OCII engine. It would fit the rumors about the usage of Nurbs and Voxels.

Back