Shadow of the Colossus (Remake 2018) [PS4]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by OCASM, Jun 13, 2017.

1. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

TLG didn’t run great even on the Pro, to be honest.

2. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I agree.
    I started playing it recently and yeah the frame rate is ruining the game's beauty.

Also the detail is constantly crashed and lost either in too much darkness or in too much light or both. It is hard to point where the visuals find a proper balance for brightness.

It is a shame because there is so much magic crafted into it.

3. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

Assets quality :

[​IMG]

Karamazov and Shifty Geezer like this.
  4. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

As this article has just appeared, I feel it worth adding to show the different takes on the remake versus the original. It also probably goes to show that the way one presents one's arguments has a huge affect on how willingly others will listen, even if they don't agree. Had OCASM written more like this, discussion may have been more open and understanding.

"The result is a kind of particularity that feels totally estranged from the original game. While Shadow of the Colossus, in its washed-out, blur and bloom-laden original form felt like it was describing the sense of a place, its remake is describing the place itself...an undeniably particular landscape, one that might even have a 1:1 match in reality. In comparison, the original's hazy, grassy plains felt like a dream, something half-forgotten, already lost.

I'd go so far to say that this difference is not just a difference of fidelity, but a difference of language."

5. OCASM

Regular Newcomer

The video you posted proves my point: it's very detailed but it also looks fake as hell. As for Ueda's style, we already know what it looks like without tech limitations and it's quite different from this remake's:

Can't say you're totally wrong :p

[​IMG]
    http://www.gameanim.com/2016/12/24/emotional-character-control-shadow-colossus/

It's fine if you like it but it sill looks fake. Maybe some photogrametry would have helped.

Nah, some people would have rejected my arguments either way. That's why I don't bother with political correctness.

As for the article itself, it makes the argument that the higher fidelity inevitably leads to a loss of aesthetics. Nesh made the same argument in this thread and I already refuted it via TLG's CG trailer.

Just the absence of bloom alone is a major aesthetic change that can't simply be explained by: "it's more detailed now bruh!"

6. bunge

Regular Newcomer

Does the game actually lack bloom?

7. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

The presentation is still a mixed bag. It proves my point :p

#207 Nesh, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  8. bunge

Regular Newcomer

What the hell is “political correctness”? If you treat people like shit inevitably some will treat you like a shithead in return.

Nesh likes this.
  9. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

It's not political correctness but politeness. And if you aren't going to be polite to people with different ideas to you, people who won't accept your argument, you don't belong on a discussion forum. A forum, especially this one, is not a place to convince people you're right and they're wrong, but a place to share in ideas in a fair and civil way.

Clukos, bunge and BRiT like this.
  10. OCASM

Regular Newcomer

Impolite, as in calling other people "shitheads"? Or just using harsh language such as "bullshit"?

11. bunge

Regular Newcomer

I missed this if it were already posted:

The question of fidelity and Shadow of the Colossus
    Wanderer above the sea of textures.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-04-the-question-of-fidelity-and-shadow-of-the-colossus

12. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

bunge likes this.
  13. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

What is the point of a remake if it's exactly like the original? If you want to play the original, you can do so at high res (or low res if that's your preference) and framerate using an emulator.

Next thing you know

Having bad eyesight may actually improve your perception of a games true vision
    Not being able to distinguish texture detail might be a good thing after all.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-01-totally-an-article-link

#213 Clukos, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    bunge likes this.
  14. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

It's already "too detailed" but you want even more details ?

And in my opinion, the best looking rocks aren't in games that use photogrammetry (if we exclude tech demos) :

15. BoardBonobo

BoardBonobo My hat is white!
    Veteran

So as being somene who never played the original, and therefore not having any preconceptions etc. Is playing this going to be the same game as the original with the same mechanics, outcomes, and goals? Leaving aside the irrelevance of the aesthetics of a remake, something which is obviously a personal and very subjective thing.

16. OCASM

Regular Newcomer

It was indeed already posted and I addressed it in this post:

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2020761/

There's a difference between more realistic and more detailed. The environments in the remake are extremely detailed but they look artificial, not like real natural formations. That's why I think photogrametry would have been an improvement.

Yes.

17. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Aren't the controls more responsive? That'll change slightly the experience, if BP have changed the notion of realism to make it more gamer palatable.

18. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

However it's faithful to the original in design or not, when you have something like this on the PS4 how can anyone complain?
    [​IMG]

Nesh and Shifty Geezer like this.
  19. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Really I do not understand your logic. Sometimes you make me feel as if you are trying to find fault on the project in general because you got biased against it from earlier discussions
    On one hand you complain that the game fails to convey the "surrealism" of the original and on the other hand, when we get past this discussion, you find fault that the game doesn't seem "realistic" enough.

20. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

Yes. They changed by default the buttons layout to make it more intuitive and similar to modern games (Ueda buttons layout available in the options). They noticeably reduced the input lag. Based on some previews the character handles better and the camera is better positioned than in previous versions.

I like this one:
    [​IMG]

Recop likes this.