Shadow of the Colossus (Remake 2018) [PS4]

I kinda get the argument about losing a few things when compared against the original but I'll take more responsive controls and 60hz over anything else. I'm sure if they got Ueda to remake the game we'd get 20 fps and sluggish controls and people trying to convince us that's actually good and/or intended. I actually liked TLG but the performance was horrendous on a "regular" Ps4.
I agree.
I started playing it recently and yeah the frame rate is ruining the game's beauty.

Also the detail is constantly crashed and lost either in too much darkness or in too much light or both. It is hard to point where the visuals find a proper balance for brightness.

It is a shame because there is so much magic crafted into it.

Assets quality :

b2sub.jpg

As this article has just appeared, I feel it worth adding to show the different takes on the remake versus the original. It also probably goes to show that the way one presents one's arguments has a huge affect on how willingly others will listen, even if they don't agree. Had OCASM written more like this, discussion may have been more open and understanding.

"The result is a kind of particularity that feels totally estranged from the original game. While Shadow of the Colossus, in its washed-out, blur and bloom-laden original form felt like it was describing the sense of a place, its remake is describing the place itself...an undeniably particular landscape, one that might even have a 1:1 match in reality. In comparison, the original's hazy, grassy plains felt like a dream, something half-forgotten, already lost.

I'd go so far to say that this difference is not just a difference of fidelity, but a difference of language."

You said : "Even the environments have lost all sense of realism, they look as if the artists simply mashed some "rock" brushes all over the place to get as much detail as possible."

Everything was supposed to be wrong in the SOTC remake according to you. Yet, you proved otherwise with your own sources... the pics i posted speak for themselves. It's useless to continue on this point.

When Ueda is free of any technical limitation, the result is actually closer to the SOTC remake.

But i agree on one point, while the animation is generally improved on the remake (see the video below) it is worse in some rare occasions. Also, Wander face was better in the original game.

The video you posted proves my point: it's very detailed but it also looks fake as hell. As for Ueda's style, we already know what it looks like without tech limitations and it's quite different from this remake's:

I kinda get the argument about losing a few things when compared against the original but I'll take more responsive controls and 60hz over anything else. I'm sure if they got Ueda to remake the game we'd get 20 fps and sluggish controls and people trying to convince us that's actually good and/or intended. I actually liked TLG but the performance was horrendous on a "regular" Ps4.
Can't say you're totally wrong :p

rVLvFz.jpeg

http://www.gameanim.com/2016/12/24/emotional-character-control-shadow-colossus/

Assets quality :

b2sub.jpg
It's fine if you like it but it sill looks fake. Maybe some photogrametry would have helped.

As this article has just appeared, I feel it worth adding to show the different takes on the remake versus the original. It also probably goes to show that the way one presents one's arguments has a huge affect on how willingly others will listen, even if they don't agree. Had OCASM written more like this, discussion may have been more open and understanding.

"The result is a kind of particularity that feels totally estranged from the original game. While Shadow of the Colossus, in its washed-out, blur and bloom-laden original form felt like it was describing the sense of a place, its remake is describing the place itself...an undeniably particular landscape, one that might even have a 1:1 match in reality. In comparison, the original's hazy, grassy plains felt like a dream, something half-forgotten, already lost.

I'd go so far to say that this difference is not just a difference of fidelity, but a difference of language."
Nah, some people would have rejected my arguments either way. That's why I don't bother with political correctness.

As for the article itself, it makes the argument that the higher fidelity inevitably leads to a loss of aesthetics. Nesh made the same argument in this thread and I already refuted it via TLG's CG trailer.

Just the absence of bloom alone is a major aesthetic change that can't simply be explained by: "it's more detailed now bruh!"

The video you posted proves my point: it's very detailed but it also looks fake as hell. As for Ueda's style, we already know what it looks like without tech limitations and it's quite different from this remake's:

The presentation is still a mixed bag. It proves my point :p

Last edited:
Nah, some people would have rejected my arguments either way. That's why I don't bother with political correctness.

What the hell is “political correctness”? If you treat people like shit inevitably some will treat you like a shithead in return.

It's not political correctness but politeness. And if you aren't going to be polite to people with different ideas to you, people who won't accept your argument, you don't belong on a discussion forum. A forum, especially this one, is not a place to convince people you're right and they're wrong, but a place to share in ideas in a fair and civil way.

What the hell is “political correctness”? If you treat people like shit inevitably some will treat you like a shithead in return.

It's not political correctness but politeness. And if you aren't going to be polite to people with different ideas to you, people who won't accept your argument, you don't belong on a discussion forum. A forum, especially this one, is not a place to convince people you're right and they're wrong, but a place to share in ideas in a fair and civil way.
Impolite, as in calling other people "shitheads"? Or just using harsh language such as "bullshit"?

I missed this if it were already posted:

The question of fidelity and Shadow of the Colossus
Wanderer above the sea of textures.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-04-the-question-of-fidelity-and-shadow-of-the-colossus

The result might be impressive, it might be technically astounding, packed with the kind of details that get affirmative nods and dedicated reddit posts. It may even turn heads that would otherwise ignore the "outdated" look of the original. But the language would have changed, the tone of description, even the provenance of the image. It would be cut off from a history of figures stood before indefinite, magnetic landscapes, and instead connected to a ceaseless pursuit of recreation, of accuracy, of definitive detail. Tethered to fidelity like a leash. And thinking like this, it suddenly strikes me as strange that the root of the word fidelity might be the Latin word for "faith", because an image of the highest fidelity requires no faith at all.

What is the point of a remake if it's exactly like the original? If you want to play the original, you can do so at high res (or low res if that's your preference) and framerate using an emulator.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-04-the-question-of-fidelity-and-shadow-of-the-colossus

Next thing you know

Having bad eyesight may actually improve your perception of a games true vision
Not being able to distinguish texture detail might be a good thing after all.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-01-totally-an-article-link

Last edited:
So as being somene who never played the original, and therefore not having any preconceptions etc. Is playing this going to be the same game as the original with the same mechanics, outcomes, and goals? Leaving aside the irrelevance of the aesthetics of a remake, something which is obviously a personal and very subjective thing.

It was indeed already posted and I addressed it in this post:

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2020761/

It's already "too detailed" but you want even more details ?

And in my opinion, the best looking rocks aren't in games that use photogrammetry (if we exclude tech demos) :

There's a difference between more realistic and more detailed. The environments in the remake are extremely detailed but they look artificial, not like real natural formations. That's why I think photogrametry would have been an improvement.

So as being somene who never played the original, and therefore not having any preconceptions etc. Is playing this going to be the same game as the original with the same mechanics, outcomes, and goals? Leaving aside the irrelevance of the aesthetics of a remake, something which is obviously a personal and very subjective thing.
Yes.

Aren't the controls more responsive? That'll change slightly the experience, if BP have changed the notion of realism to make it more gamer palatable.

There's a difference between more realistic and more detailed. The environments in the remake are extremely detailed but they look artificial, not like real natural formations. That's why I think photogrametry would have been an improvement.
Really I do not understand your logic. Sometimes you make me feel as if you are trying to find fault on the project in general because you got biased against it from earlier discussions
On one hand you complain that the game fails to convey the "surrealism" of the original and on the other hand, when we get past this discussion, you find fault that the game doesn't seem "realistic" enough.

Aren't the controls more responsive? That'll change slightly the experience, if BP have changed the notion of realism to make it more gamer palatable.
Yes. They changed by default the buttons layout to make it more intuitive and similar to modern games (Ueda buttons layout available in the options). They noticeably reduced the input lag. Based on some previews the character handles better and the camera is better positioned than in previous versions.

I like this one:
ARcGrAz.png

Back