Revolution release date revealed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont see nothing wrong with a june release, right after E3 will be perfect, people will be very interesting in knowing the new games/consoles (and they will still with the lot of games overall, Rev or not, as always), plus there are holydays people want to try new things and do have more money and time, so it is a good time to people will try new games/consoles with their friends (and meybe buy for them too), and at that time they may get 65nm, which for them would be a big win (once that their ratio of performance/cost/power is even smaller).

In a bussiness sense I think that it is a great date and in my personal opinion I like it too.

Broadway is the CPU and Hollywood is the GPU.

Thanks, I always seem to misassign the correct names oddly enough.

Guden Oden said:
Different markets. One doesn't neccessarily interfere with the other. Besides, Rev is backwards compatible, or so they say anyway. Or perhaps the game is delayed because it's being updated for Rev and will be released for both formats! *wild stary Doc Brown look*

It's not "so they say," it is Guden. As I stated earlier for many, b/c is neither a concern nor consideration. It's been delayed to actually finish its development & implement the many new game ideas that cropped up along the way making it more & more ambitious. (as well as delivering upon Aonuma's & Miyamoto's claims) Nintendo's most ambitious software endeavour to date, (esp. monetarily so) various motion-capturing & what should be a fully orchestrated score. Do not believe for a moment that Nintendo would prematurely cannibalize its sales.

I dont see nothing wrong with a june release, right after E3 will be perfect, people will be very interesting in knowing the new games/consoles (and they will still with the lot of games overall, Rev or not, as always), plus there are holydays people want to try new things and do have more money and time, so it is a good time to people will try new games/consoles with their friends (and meybe buy for them too), and at that time they may get 65nm, which for them would be a big win (once that their ratio of performance/cost/power is even smaller).

In a bussiness sense I think that it is a great date and in my personal opinion I like it too.

Sadly, (as well as beneficially for the Rev's Hollywood GPU & the quality & diversity of their software launch lineup) this will not take place. Expect a very late launch, perhaps following even close after that of the PS3. Even Perrin Kaplan's recent IGN comments lend credence to what I've been hearing. Late 3rd to early 4th qtr. launches. Good reasoning though pc, "strike the hammer while the iron is hot" type of business philosophy. But the Nintendo software history dls must be voted & decided upon, (as well as which titles to enhance) various popular 3rd parties will be approached & recruited as well, (Square-Enix, Capcom, Konami, etc.) the Wi-Fi interface & implementation must be flawless, software designed solely around & taking advantage of the the new controller interface, specifically designed peripheral shells, etc. Time consuming to say the very least.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is simply no way revoloution is launching in June next year. they don't even have devkits available yet. I had one of my guys out at nintendo on wednesday showing them some stuff we're working on. We asked about revoloution and they said "nobody is getting devkits for it yet, you'd be best to protytpe any games on the gamecube hardware". We asked about information on the new hardware and they said "All nitnendo is willing to release is the same information already on the internet"

Another friend of mine is flying to Japan to discuss a new game with Nintendo, and he already told me nintnedo doesn't have the hardware yet. he seemed to think the hardware specs weren't settled on yet. so I wouldn't expect any sort of miracle launch in june next year. I think the earliest we can see it is the fall 2006.

the fact nobody has devkits yet, makes me certain that they aren't launching in June.

Li Mu Bai said:
It's not "so they say," it is Guden.]
Since it's not even finished I think it's a little too early to tell if it is or not just yet.

Do not believe for a moment that Nintendo would prematurely cannibalize its sales.
I don't care how ambitious Nintendo claims this game is going to be, I don't believe for a moment they would let their entire next generation platorm hinge upon the release of ONE SINGLE GAME of the current (and dying) generation!

That'd be just plain crazy.

So if they do release (as rumored) on this schedule, the most likely scenario is good first party titles and very bad 3rd party titles. I don't remember, at all, Gamecubes launch and what titles came out for it at that time. Also, 3rd party developers are going to have to wrap their heads around how the Rev controller should be utilized :/

So taking in acount what you said

The bad:
1- They will make wait even more:devilish: .
2- Go against MS and S in Xmas time, taking in acount that their are 2 markting beasts, plus they will have a good advance (assuming PS3 at ~Q1/2), this also may be bad for getting gamers how already have a next gen console as they will probably want games too, and after all they may losse the price advanage once that Xb should have the core version at 250 or less (unless N go at ~150).

The good:
1- IMO this make 65nm a safe bet, meybe they can make a CPU of equal power, and a GPU of equivalent (720p --->480p) power, at a good price/power.
2- Going at full speed to Xmas time is good for them, people are seeking new things and are receptive to new thinghs so it is a good time to present a radically new thing to the big public (the no gamers).
3- Good line up.

BlueTsunami said:
Also, 3rd party developers are going to have to wrap their heads around how the Rev controller should be utilized :/

I think it should be very easy addapat (at least the basics) the Rev controler to any type of game, so if the HW is enought they should be able to get some nice crossplatforms games, at time.

Qroach said:
There is simply no way revoloution is launching in June next year. they don't even have devkits available yet. I had one of my guys out at nintendo on wednesday showing them some stuff we're working on. We asked about revoloution and they said "nobody is getting devkits for it yet, you'd be best to protytpe any games on the gamecube hardware". We asked about information on the new hardware and they said "All nitnendo is willing to release is the same information already on the internet"

Another friend of mine is flying to Japan to discuss a new game with Nintendo, and he already told me nintnedo doesn't have the hardware yet. he seemed to think the hardware specs weren't settled on yet. so I wouldn't expect any sort of miracle launch in june next year. I think the earliest we can see it is the fall 2006.

the fact nobody has devkits yet, makes me certain that they aren't launching in June.

Actually, that's not entirely true. Japanese & a few western developers close to Nintendo (Namco, Konami recently, Capcom, Square-Enix, Ubi Soft, EA, amongst a few others) are/or have been privy to alpha kits with unfinalized specifications. (two seperate sets are said to still be floating & undecided upon by Takeda, Miyamoto, & ultimately Iwata but the developers are supposedly aware) That is why they are telling developers to start building off of pre-existing GC toolkits, the Nintendo Revolution's internal architecture one can only assume will mirror the GC's enough to have visual enhancements (handled primarly in-hardware) to be added/coded easily enough by the developers with minimal time due to the dedicated GPU instead of the laborious & time consuming handcoding needed for the TEV this time. (If they are indeed still targeting 480P instead of 720P that's 1/3 the number of the pixels so they could produce comparable imagery albeit at a lower native resolution of course)

In fact I remember in an older interview Iwata saying that many aspects they found to be advantageous, innovative, efficient, powerful, etc. within the Flipper/Gekko chipsets would also be making appearances within both the Rev's Broadway & Hollywood counterparts. What those aspects are however are anyone's guess, but I compiled an older GC list I made for possible attributes, of course there will be alterations & resource increases in areas:

:
-Mosys 1-TSRAM with a refresh/latency rate equivalent to, though not surpassing those of conventional SRAM. Main memory system bandwidth: Approximately 10ns Sustainable Latency

-2mb of on-chip embedded RAM Z and framebuffer with 7.5gb dedicated bandwidth. This on-die Z-buffer completely removes all of those accesses from hogging the limited amount of main memory bandwidth the Flipper GPU is granted. 6.2ns suistainable latency (1T-SRAM)

-1mb texture cache with 10.5gb dedicated bandwidth which can hold compressed textures & assists with texture load performance

-Early Z check HSR

-Texture Environment (TEV) which is essentially a pixel shader with extremely flexible texture reads (more so than even the NV2A's) but slightly less flexible combines than the NV2A. (think indirect texturing effects like heat distortion)

-Half the L1 data is locked to keep needed information without wasting reads to L2 cache, and ultimately main memory. The rest of the chip isn't penalized for accesses to the L2 data cache due to the non-blocking cache arrangement. Also, after all the data is transferred, it has to travel back through the L1 and L2 data caches while it makes its way back to the system bus.

So the 64 bit data bus to the processor from the L1 data cache is still 5.6 GB/s, and it is written back to the L2 cache using the remaining bandwidth of the 256-bit connection.

-A 128-byte FIFO write gather pipe accumulates data to be sent in 32-byte bursts to the graphics chip.

-32 byte fill buffer rests between the L2 cache and the L1 cache, and between the L1 cache and the FIFO write gather pipe.

-4:1 vertex compression can be held in the L1 cache, with a small but effective amount still left remaining for decompression.

-Seperate FIFO write gather pipe for bursts of graphics data to main memory while the bus is not busy.

-8 layer multi-texturing per single pass (however extremely fillrate intensive)

-8 hardware lights (global) offered at no computational penalty as they are performed in parallel to other functions

-Flipper does support virtual texturing, which is a fetch on demand for textures

-PPC 750CXE Cpu with additional SIMD functionality. (40 instructions total) Data quantisation inclusive, which simplifies the use of compressed data and in effect ties in with the Gekko when needed for dynamic geometry processing in the system.

-Compresses textures at a 6:1 ratio via S3TC

-EMBM & per-pixel lighting supported in hw

-Trilinear filtering comes at no cost to the Gamecube's texel fillrate

-Gekko utilizes paired single capability

-A few of its features were added in dynamically, like self-shadowing and color tinting to be performed simultaneously with global & local lighting variants

-A FSB frequency that results in a 1.3GB/s connection between Gekko and the North Bridge

-All bus clocks operate in synch with one another, which lends itself to a much lower latency operation (the memory bus is synchronized to the Gekko's FSB and Flipper's operating frequency (162MHz x 2)

That being done I believe Nintendo knows that it needs more continual 3rd party support than the GC ever had, (as they alone cannot support the Rev, even w/lmited exclusives esp. with this new interface) but in order to secure this for the major big budget cross-platform titles that a higher minimum spec. is needed which imo may be leading to the actual hw delays, (deciding upon these exact specifications & even HD considerations) as well as chipset modifications. Getting western devs behind the new controller interface & to create sw for it as well. (at least Molyneux & fpser studios are on-board) Conversely, this doesn't seem to be a deterrant for japanese developers, & I suppose the west wasn't aware of this interview with Miyamoto:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000297061506/

Miyamoto: From our perspective the Revolution controller is the new controller, everything else is now the classic controller. And with this expansion, you’ll be able to have a classic controller that expands the functionality of the core unit. And to be honest, we’ve already—

Engadget: It’ll have that more traditional form factor?

Miyamoto: Exactly. We’ve got something that would be very similar in style and form to the Wave Bird already complete. What that allows us to do is that we have all of these new features. We have the new functionality of the Wave Bird controller and we have new ways that players will be able to interact with games. But at the same time, we’ve retained all the functionality of the classic-style controller, so that people who are familiar with games and familiar with that style of game play are going to be able to have the types of experiences that they’re expecting, on top of all of these new experiences that they’ve never imagined before.

On getting third party developers to use the controller properly. Iwata said recently that Nintendo are actually prepared to help third parties develop there games to make use of the controller.

Li Mu Bai said:
Some important aspects to consider when reading this news forrumites: (directed towards anyone even considering this to be even partially factual)

-A worldwide June launch a mere month after its official "coming out party" at E3?

-Launching 2 months after the LOZ:TP would represent somewhat of a conflict of software interests imo as TP is not a next-generation title, the Revolution's software launch will be. 20-21 million+ GCs will have sold by then ww, all of these consumers may not be picking up a Rev upon release or at all for that matter. Backwards compatability has no meaning for them, but the upcoming TP does.

-Last but certainly not least, the source. Despite their intentions, the site's credibility for news of this magnitude is very seriously in doubt. An erroneous track record has been established for reliable information over the years, many more misses than actual hits.

Zelda will sell no matter what . It could actually sell alot more with the new system being in the mix .

ALot of people who love zelda but no longer own a gamecube or never bought it can pick up the cube dirt cheap or the rev and play the game

If it does launch in June, there is going to be very little in the way of 3rd party support. Just going from what devs currently know about revolution.
Also why launch in June, when in at least two of the territories Xmas sales are king?
Now Nintendo might do this, but it doesn't strike me as the best time for a launch.

Li Mu Bai

Actually, that's not entirely true. Japanese & a few western developers close to Nintendo (Namco, Konami recently, Capcom, Square-Enix, Ubi Soft, EA, amongst a few others) are/or have been privy to alpha kits with unfinalized specifications.

Well like i said that came from nintendo, and a friend of mine working with nintendo of japan directly. ERP confirm seems to think the same thing...

jvd said:
Zelda will sell no matter what . It could actually sell alot more with the new system being in the mix .

ALot of people who love zelda but no longer own a gamecube or never bought it can pick up the cube dirt cheap or the rev and play the game

This is going off-topic but I just don't think Zelda is going to do anything to sell units - Revolution or GCN. The only way, imo, it might sell Rev unit is if it has something special for it, like the ability to use the controller to swing the sword or other implements (in other words, not just using the Rev as backwards compatible).

Pushing the GCN? Too little, too late. Those people that like Nintendo-type games (like myself) already have a GCN.

ERP said:
If it does launch in June, there is going to be very little in the way of 3rd party support. Just going from what devs currently know about revolution.
Also why launch in June, when in at least two of the territories Xmas sales are king?
Now Nintendo might do this, but it doesn't strike me as the best time for a launch.
Because waiting a year to release a technically slightly inferior machine, just when the competition has gained momentum and an installed base would be suicide.
Nintendo needs to release as soon as Mario revolution is finished and not a moment sooner.

Xmas is not *that* important anymore, games sell well all year round.

I'm still curious about what I'm going to see on screen from this console. I just wonder how much weaker it might be to the competition. I also find it curious the timing of this with the delay of the new Zelda game. Would make since to abandon the Cube and move it to the revolution. Especially if the technological jump from GameCube to Revolution isn't that big with the new controller interactivity being the selling point for the system.

Ty said:
This is going off-topic but I just don't think Zelda is going to do anything to sell units - Revolution or GCN. The only way, imo, it might sell Rev unit is if it has something special for it, like the ability to use the controller to swing the sword or other implements (in other words, not just using the Rev as backwards compatible).

Pushing the GCN? Too little, too late. Those people that like Nintendo-type games (like myself) already have a GCN.

I think you forget zelda's importance. Zelda is a huge title for nintendo. I know personaly (and i know it doesnt' account for to much but ) that want zelda but felt picking up the gamecube this year (when it was still coming out this year ) was a waste of time but when they heard the rev would be backwards compatible they were excited feeling they could get the rev and the new games the controller would bring and also some of the gems esp zelda from the gamecube for cheap .

As for zelda pushing the cube i don't think it matters. I'm just saying that zelda will make people buy nintendo systems that can run it .

dukmahsik said:
Good thing for MS as this will leave Sony and Ninty duking it out
Because the release of a stronger branded and more powerful console, and unique controller+cheaper console, won't have the slightest impact on XB360 sales...?I'm sure MS just can't wait for the opposition to launch.

Shifty Geezer said:
Because the release of a stronger branded and more powerful console, and unique controller+cheaper console, won't have the slightest impact on XB360 sales...?I'm sure MS just can't wait for the opposition to launch.

yes that's exactly what i said /sarcasm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back