RE4 announced for PS2.

Almasy

Regular
Formerly GameCube-exclusive entry in Capcom's survival horror series will appear on PlayStation 2 in 2005.

Capcom announced today that the long-awaited follow-up to its popular survival horror franchise, originally planned to appear only on the GameCube console, is also headed to Sony's PlayStation2.

The PS2 version of Resident Evil 4 is currently slated to be released at the end of 2005 in Japan, the US, and Europe. The GameCube version is still scheduled for a January 2005 release in the US and Japan, followed by a spring release in Europe.

In a statement released today, Capcom said that the decision to make Resident Evil 4 go cross-platform was based on requests from fans worldwide, market considerations, and shareholder requests. The statement made mention of the fact that each version of the game will be developed to take advantage of the strengths of the respective platform.

In September 2001, Capcom held a press conference in Tokyo to announce that the Resident Evil series would thereafter be released exclusively for the Nintendo GameCube. Capcom first produced a visually overhauled remake of the very first Resident Evil title, which was originally released for the PlayStation in the mid '90s, and followed suit with a brand-new prequel called Resident Evil 0 and ports of Resident Evil 2, 3, and Code: Veronica.

But as soon as the deal was cemented between Capcom and Nintendo, cracks started to appear. Early in 2002, Capcom announced that an online Resident Evil title, Resident Evil: Outbreak, was exclusively headed to the PlayStation 2. Later that year, the publisher seemed to reaffirm its relationship with Nintendo when it announced four more GameCube-exclusive games alongside Resident Evil 4. Then one of them, Dead Phoenix, was canceled, and PS2 versions of two of the other games, Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7, were subsequently announced. Nevertheless, if Capcom sticks to the current release plan, Resident Evil 4 will remain exclusive to the GameCube hardware for roughly one year.

source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/31/news_6111911.html

Now this is surprising news. I wonder how the PS2 version will look.

The timing is very wierd though. Why announce this before the GCN version is even out? Is this some sort of vengeance from Capcom(especially considering how important this title is to GCN´s line up)?

Probably not that suprising. I was expecting a PS2 port down the line, but to announced it before the GC release, that's suprising :D

market considerations, and shareholder requests

Best explanations for the decision. Although 'shareholer requests' is very likely a polite way of the scene:

shareholders: 'Why the *&^%$#@!&^%#*& is this not going on the PS2??????!!!!!!"

It's surprising considering the rest of the RE's never made it across, and RE4 seemed to be a specific level up as far as graphics go. I rather assumed that team was getting all high and mighty up in the GameCube innards, so I wouldn't have expected a PS2 version as well. Seemed like they were aiming particular RE projects at individual platforms.

RE4 no doubt took a lot of money and resources to develop so it's no surprise Capcom is under a lot of pressure from shareholders.

RE4 being on of the most graphically impresive games when judged by trailers and screenshots, I wonder how'll they manage to port it to PS2 :?

Johnny Awesome: What did you mean by the art direction comment?

Back