Rage (id Software)

Console footage?

In this game going by Carmack's comments there shouldn't be a vast difference between versions anyway. This is not a BF3 situation. That's why I'm not too worried which version the videos may show.

Anyways a big new round of previews hit yesterday, and one thing I noted being talked about on Neogaf is one preview spoke of their being a ton of texture pop-in. PS3 version specifically, but Xbox version wasnt in the discussion either way. Something to worry about I guess.

There have been, at least I've seen mentions about some football/rugby games being mentioned that needed it. Unfortunately I can't recall any names. Also, wasn't it so that GTA4 crashed pretty reliably when you took a fast enough vehicle and drove faster than the box could stream in new data?

It was one of the Football Manager games published by Sega.

And GTA4 didn't crash AFAIK, it did what it's always done, let you drive around in the void(just invisible collision geometry) until it loaded the proper models and textures. That's happened since GTA3 on the PS2.

New trailers guys shame carmacks keynote isn't live streamed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFE66chCZuA&hd=1

Yes sucks that there was no Live stream but it shouldbe up on Youtube later AFAIK. Anyway from the live blogs I ween it was mostly PC talk. Carmack did say that the cosoles have texture poping issues when the player moves quickly (seems to be mainly a streaming limitation on the consoles). He admited that Texture resolution is not good up-close even on the PC and that the artist were kinda pissed about it , but one again this is because of storage limitation on the consoles. He didn't rule out a downloadable High-res texture pack for the PC. He apparently trashed Sony, the PS3 and the BR format. Said that even with allits power the PC version was hard to optimize to reach 60Fps. etc.. No Dooom 4 talk at all. Said the RAge team is now moving to work on Doom 4 with the rest of iD.

Pre-orders will get some free in-game content...got mine.

http://www.rage.com/us/pre-order

Looks like Road Warrior themed outfit/vehicle/weapon pack.:smile:

thumbnail-shotgun.jpg
thumbnail-fist.jpg

thumbnail-armor.jpg
thumbnail-buggy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Said that even with allits power the PC version was hard to optimize to reach 60Fps. etc..

I still don't understand this one. No other game has such difficulty maintaining 60fps of a sufficiently powerful PC at console settings. And those are console games which run at 30fps on consoles.

What makes Rage so different? Unless I'm missing something here he's effectively saying he's having difficulty maintaining the same detail settings and same framerate on more powerful PC's compared to consoles. That's certainly never happened to me in any game.

I still don't understand this one. No other game has such difficulty maintaining 60fps of a sufficiently powerful PC at console settings. And those are console games which run at 30fps on consoles.

What makes Rage so different? Unless I'm missing something here he's effectively saying he's having difficulty maintaining the same detail settings and same framerate on more powerful PC's compared to consoles. That's certainly never happened to me in any game.

I guess that this discussion should bein the PC section...but anywa, yeah I can't figure it out either. Apperently the texturing pop-in iss is present on the PC version too (WTF!). You can't rotate/move quickly or you will see the texture LOD in action (that's why all the gameplay videos only show slow movements I guess and why there's no real MP mode in Rage)

I guess that this discussion should bein the PC section...but anywa, yeah I can't figure it out either. Apperently the texturing pop-in iss is present on the PC version too (WTF!). You can't rotate/move quickly or you will see the texture LOD in action (that's why all the gameplay videos only show slow movements I guess and why there's no real MP mode in Rage)

It would also suggest playing this game with a control pad might be a better idea than a keyboard/mouse.

Maybe it's just some peculiarity of how Mega Texture works. If so then it would seem a pretty poor approach for PC games.

Rage PS3 Hands-on: Dead to the World:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/08/03/rage-ps3-hands-on-dead-to-the-world/

Last week, Jeff and I went hands-on with the PS3 version of Rage, id Software’s October-bound first-person shooter. All told, we experienced more than two hours of post-apocalyptic action, driving, and exploration in a shattered world of exquisite visual detail and startling violence.

Afterwards, we spoke with id Software President Todd Hollenshead to discuss what made the legendary DOOM developer shift gears to a story-driven, open-world playground — and to learn more about the mysteries lurking in that sprawling wasteland.

Yes sucks that there was no Live stream but it shouldbe up on Youtube later AFAIK. Anyway from the live blogs I ween it was mostly PC talk. Carmack did say that the cosoles have texture poping issues when the player moves quickly (seems to be mainly a streaming limitation on the consoles). He admited that Texture resolution is not good up-close even on the PC and that the artist were kinda pissed about it , but one again this is because of storage limitation on the consoles. He didn't rule out a downloadable High-res texture pack for the PC. He apparently trashed Sony, the PS3 and the BR format. Said that even with allits power the PC version was hard to optimize to reach 60Fps. etc.. No Dooom 4 talk at all. Said the RAge team is now moving to work on Doom 4 with the rest of iD.

What is the reason exactly? What has said?

He apparently trashed Sony, the PS3 and the BR format.

Mwehhh. He actually said that he's vary to say anything about these issues because they're always posted on the internet later, taken completely out of context. And suprise, exactly that has happened.

Back