PSP redesign confirmed *debunked by Sony

They could probably make it a few millimeters thinner, but apart from that, what could they do if they have to retain the big LCD-Screen and the UMD-Drive?
I always guessed we see a new model with 65nm Chips and maybe a higher capacity battery - should increase the playtime a fair bit.

Npl said:
what could they do if they have to retain the big LCD-Screen and the UMD-Drive?
They could switch to OLED (thinner, less power usage, better refresh&contrast).
Though I guess unlikely if this is to be price reducing redesign :oops:

Yeah if they're sticking with the same screen and UMD drive, there's not much they can do to the form factor really. But what could they improve? Faster UMD drive for sure, more efficient components (cheaper to manufacture, less power consumption...). Oh and the d-pad needs reworking from what people playing Gradius tell me :)

There's also the idea of ditching of the UMD altogether and adding 2GB Flash, or running off MemStick, which must be cheaper. Games would have to be delivered by download if they do this, which would be a first step towards online only, and really pee off the chain-stores, so I think it unlikely.

As for thinner and lighter, what's the point?! It's quite a nice system as it is. And thinner and it'd be too easy to just snap in half! It feels quite solid in it's current build. Unles they go with a flip-top, I can't see much room for shrinking it while maintaining the positive aspects of the current design.

What I really want to hear is a first price-drop! £99 at Amazon - but only if you want a pink one!

The handheld needs a redesign mostly in its shape, d-pad, button and analog placement to make it more comfortable when playing games.

Yeah I feel it could be just a bit lighter, and the buttons could use some improvement. Guess the analog stick could be improved a bit as well. My colleague's actually had issues with the power button, he keeps sliding it while playing - never had the issue myself but I can see that being a problem to some.

In all honesty, they need to go clam-shell. And then they'll wonder "hey, all that pointless empty space there, why not add another screen?" And the internet will explode.
Proper d-pads ftw, too!

It seems people just buy new hardware because it's new.

Look at the Wii. They could have just kept the Gamecube and added motion control. But nobody would have bought a Gamecube.

So any kind of PSP re-design could probably signal to consumers a rebirth of the platform, especially as sales are ever so slightly picking up anyway.

The key is going to be, price cut.

the only thing that could make me buy another PSP (and selling my "old" one) is a scratch- and fingerprint resistant casing (my sister already managed to scratch the display with her pullover when she tried to clean the LCD). Im not sure I`d even like a thinner one, IMHO it should be thicker on the edges so you have a better grip on the controls.

But yes, a pricecut would be the most important thing to sell it.

hey, all that pointless empty space there, why not add another screen?
Foldable display tech actually exists - so technically they could just make it a very large screen :p
Maybe make it open sideways like a notebook, to promote being different and spawn a billion sites taking mocking pictures of "sideopning".

Npl said:
is a scratch- and fingerprint resistant casing
They could just make their primary model white, it doesn't have the fingerprint issues black does.

Hmm, the design is actually one of my favorite parts of the PSP. Not sure how they could improve it. Make it thinner, but then I think that would be a negative more than a positive. Possibly an internal redesign with cheaper manufacturing, better life, etc. This should be interesting to see.

Some possibilities are:

* Simplify the look (No more grills)
* Better analog sticks and buttons
* Hold bigger/flatter battery
* Update I/O ports (802.11b/g/n ? Is Infrared port useful ? How about Bluetooth ? Video out ? More USB ports ?)
* Faster UMD drive
* Upgrade security
* Touch... touch.. touch screen ! Ha ha... just j/k

They could just make their primary model white, it doesn't have the fingerprint issues black does.
Lol, I got the white one. It has visibily fingerprints all over and you wouldnt imagine how dirty the analog stick looks after playing a bit.

Lol, I got the white one. It has visibily fingerprints all over and you wouldnt imagine how dirty the analog stick looks after playing a bit.

I just played around with a white one yesterday. It seems to hide fingerprints WAY better than my black one though I can imagine that the analog nub gets dirty.

I also like the white one because the Square button works perfectly.

Hmm, the design is actually one of my favorite parts of the PSP. Not sure how they could improve it. Make it thinner, but then I think that would be a negative more than a positive. Possibly an internal redesign with cheaper manufacturing, better life, etc. This should be interesting to see.
I agree; I like the PSP since it felt well-designed upon release (unlike the DS Light and GBA SP redesigns, which were great and necessary). It could probably use a light re-touching here and there for form fit (such as doing something slightly different with the shoulder buttons and improving the d-pad). I also like the idea of dropping the UMD entirely and delivering games on the memory stick.

If a PSP2 ever comes, I'm sure it will be backwards compatible with PSP(1) umd titles.
hm , i dont know if thats a good or a bad thing.

I guess they could use the bluray technology and use Blu-UMD for PSP2 games with back comp with silver UMD games :p

Back