[PSN] Fat Princess

Yes, this is one of the games I looked forward to last year. Glad that it's taking shape.

I am a little concerned about its online party support. If they don't have the resources to craft one (like Insomniac's Resistance series), they should go for the one in Home even though it's "only" a PSN game.

Preview talking about game mechanics in more details:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/965/965736p1.html

there are five classes in Fat Princess, but you don't need to choose what you want to be before you set out in a match. In your base, a multi-tiered castle with plenty of defenses and a holding cell for your female prisoner, you'll find several machines pumping out caps for your men. When you pick one of these distinctive hats up, you take that class for as long as you survive or until you grab another piece of headwear. Now, each of these caps comes with its own set of benefits. When you pick up the horned cowl of a warrior, you'll get a six-heart life bar, gnarly sword, and shield to protect yourself from incoming attacks. Choose to be a heavenly cleric, and you can heal you allies. Pick up a villager hat, and you can chop down trees and mine metal so that you can upgrade your base.

While the resource-gathering villagers might not be something to fear at Level 1 (they can only slap opponents), they'll be able to toss out explosives once you level that particular machine up. The warriors and their swords are nothing to mess with in any arena, but once their devices start spitting out upgraded hats, they'll be able to wield a glaive so that they can slice through the competition in a full-on run. Upgrade your ranger (see: archer), and you'll get a sweet-looking musket.

I mean the whole art design. But that's just me, maybe I'm too old.

It's totally intentional. The art direction is supposed to be be "childish" for humor. This is why the enemies bleed when you attack them.

By the same token, is Akira childish? Or any other anime for that matter?

I think "childish" should be defined by gameplay, not the visual appearance.

I know that Wind Waker wasn't childish, nor was Phantom Hour Glass.

Eh, to each their own, I think you're selling the game short by calling it "childish", but everyone has an opinion :)

It's totally intentional. The art direction is supposed to be be "childish" for humor.
Yes, it's visual irony, contrasting the cutesy Korean online look with blood spattering everywhere. Personally I'm not fussed. The clean look works, and is very good for hectic multiplayer where you want to see where everyone is. The "Cartoon Network" look is an intelligent design decision in that respect. I vastly prefer the clarity of PixelJunk Monsters over the realistic style of Savage Moon which is a confusing mess.

Yes, it's visual irony, contrasting the cutesy Korean online look with blood spattering everywhere. Personally I'm not fussed. The clean look works, and is very good for hectic multiplayer where you want to see where everyone is. The "Cartoon Network" look is an intelligent design decision in that respect. I vastly prefer the clarity of PixelJunk Monsters over the realistic style of Savage Moon which is a confusing mess.

I watched my buddy get into Savage Moon...thank god I never bought it :???:

One thing I really appreciate about Fat Princess is that it's not afraid to put a little depth into it's gameplay. While it's certainly not the most advanced game out there, what it does, it seems to do surprisingly well.

I also love that the team addressed most fans concerns with Voice Chat. This game w/out Voice Chat would have suffered greatly.

It's totally intentional. The art direction is supposed to be be "childish" for humor.

I know that.

I think "childish" should be defined by gameplay, not the visual appearance.

Yes, and I was reffering to the visual appearance, not the gameplay.

I think you're selling the game short by calling it "childish"

No, like I said in the upper sentence, I'm not calling the game "childish", just it's looks. ;)

I cant actually imagine the game looking any different than it does currently, the art style fits perfectly with the rest of the game imo. I dont think id like it any other way.

You can give your beta code to someone else if you're not interested to participate ^_^
I believe tha_con got his from another person (who has 2 beta codes) too.

From what I hear, the game is very "bloody" despite the cartoonish look.

Back