[PSN] Fat Princess

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by betan, Jul 16, 2008.

1. betan

Veteran

Apparently it's a bloody team tactical hack and slash game with 32 player online.

ign preview:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/890/890482p1.html

Intro from that:

2. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

It doesn't look that good, so it will be interesting to find out if looks lie. Initially I thought it might be a parody on Zelda :D

3. inefficient

Veteran

It really goods look to me! I am all over this.

4. betan

Veteran

Visually, you mean? I think that map look lame, they could have add more stuff while preserving simple cartoony look.

Gameplay however has potential.
    The problem is the game is a PSN multiplayer with cartoony look and seemingly depth.
    It may have hard time finding audience.

5. patsu

Legend

Yeah, they need small maps because I am wary about the audience size too (although I certainly appreciate diversity). This sort of games is best for a PS Home gathering before an event (with promotions and lucky draws).

6. Archgamer

Regular

7. Dominik D

Regular

So silly. Can you think of any brain-dead organization that would protest against Fat Prince? Oh wait, that would not be a gender stereotype. Last time I watched TV female stereotype was a thin, tall blonde. But hey! One can always tailor reality to its needs.

As for the game - it looks great and it's a buy for me based on the art style alone.

8. Cornsnake

Veteran

So creating a massive blood bath is ok, but a fat princess isn't. Some people have too much free time to spent.

9. BoardBonobo

BoardBonobo My hat is white!
    Veteran

So you have an overweight person who, by rules of the game, you are trying to save suddenly becomes the target of people who don't want to be helped. Their problem not ours. It's just a game and it's fun, the only insult here comes from the people who who choose to make it an issue because that's all they have.

10. obonicus

Veteran

This is pretty crazy. I get the RE5 thing, I get the accusations of sexism towards Rockstar. But this? I'm not sure they know what they're against: they're not against the fact that a bunch of male characters have to save a female princess (which is a more legitimate complaint, even if this is hardly the first game to do it), they're against how the game portrays that eating lots of cake will make you fat, and being fat makes you harder to carry.

It's not even picking at the usual low-hanging fruit for fat people: it's not saying that fat people are lazy, because the princess is lazy before she gets fat. It's not portraying fat people as being gluttons, because the princess will eat the cake even when skinny. The only negative thing I can see is that it portrays fatness as humorous, which is true, but then it's a game steeped in absurdity.

11. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

Hmm, may just have to pick this one up afterall... Although my roomie and I are having too much fun with the SuperStardust expansion(s), in particular the split-screen co-op. On our second try we were already ranked 300-something :D

LOL at the feminist outrage. Is there anything which segments of our society won't take offense to anymore?

12. Dominik D

Regular

Probably not. And with people jumping on the "size discrimination" bandwagon I'm affraid of legislature that makes "sizism" a punishable offence. Some people can't understand that fat princes just adds plausibility to the set of FUN game mechanics.

13. Strange

Veteran

Funny and must buy game with a funny and must see complaint, that's all I can say :D

14. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

No surprise at all... in fact when I first saw it I knew it'd be an issue. That's just how things are; there's no use trying to debate why or whether it's justified, just in understanding what the likelihoods are, and the likelihood of this was unfortunately very high.

I think it may even be enough as it gains traction to get the game blocked and/or cause a PR blowup for Sony.

BUT, I hope that the drama subsides, and that things go smoothly, because I'm really looking forward to the game - it looks crazy awesome.

15. -tkf-

Legend

But if it had been the typical incredible hot looking girl it would have been ok even though the fat princess is more realistic in todays overweight world.

#15 -tkf-, Jul 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
  16. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

[modhat]I think there's a real danger here of the thread veering off into a 'State of Society' RSPCA discussion. Please keep the thread to talking about the game.[/modhat]

17. tirminyl

Regular

I think this is the first PSN game I am hyped for. Don't get me wrong there are lots of other titles that I really enjoy but I am eagerly awaiting this game to hit the store. It is like a capture the flag that really bloody. Day 1 purchase for me.

18. patsu

Legend

19. Archgamer

Regular

Cool. When does the game come out?

20. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

According to an answer on US Playstation blog, its coming this summer.