[PSN] Fat Princess

Should i buy this game? Ive seen mixed reviews

The experience will swing wildly.

If you are in a good team, the experience should be varied and meaningful as people attempt different strategies to save the princess. Raiding a castle can be rather exciting. Some in the team would know how to build a good defense too.

If you're in a bad team while the opponent is strong, you may spend the entire game patching the castle (as a worker) as it is under siege constantly. You may also struggle to claim a strategic outpost alone, and have no time to attack. You may even be the only one who feed the princess. :) These days, the game will be over quickly.

If both sides are average or on par, then you can choose to play alone (like a deathmatch). Sometimes I switch half way to an attack class because some guys play it like a deathmatch.

For me, the game is merely a short distraction from work. So I don't mind the flaws. I think the platform has great potential if they improve it further (I can see custom "player hero" work in this game). Also, if you end up buying the game, you should check out the Fat Princess soccer match. It tends to degenerate into button smashing, but oh boy, are gamers violent.

EDIT: Had a 7 game losing streak. The opponents were really strong. Each game ended well under 3 minutes. My team was rather noobish but we stuck around long enough to learn from our mistakes. Managed to outrun the rest and won the last [strike]one[/strike] two... and then the game host quit. :)

There's next to nothing you can do independently of great value, except maybe resource gathering which seems to be avoided by plenty of players.

I honestly thought I would prefer the Mage, or another class but I love the worker class.

One of the things I've been asking Titan is for a server browser. Would be nice to setup a server, possibly password protected, to play with a good group of people.

Yes, they mentioned that if that feature would be requested often enough, they'd consider putting it in. Although you can set up your custom games and limit them to allow a certain amount of friends, and that helps a lot too.

Forgot to point out above that Fat Princess has deathmatch mode. Basically, 2 camps of people duel to death. The group with the most points left wins. There is no princess in deathmatches.

However, sadly it looks like servers are capped to one or other games fro the few available. Ther's no mixing things up between rounds. Which might be a good thing for some people, but the Capture the Princess mechanic is the one with the truest cooperation.

I was just thinking as I fired it up today, could you create a chain of priests overpowering each other with heals to remain immortal? If the shield resists all attacks for however long, you could have one priest in the castle behind closed doors healing another priest on the outside healing another priest further out, chaining to a final warrior or worker or whatever who could then grab the princess. As long as the anchor priest was safe, there may be nothing the enemy can do. They'd have to start with the first priest and work up the chain killing them off.

Encountered a devasting mob tactics just now. Lots of dark priests sucking the left of opponents down in an instant, and rangers finishing them off. The priests can readily patch each other up to create what in this instance was an unstoppable army for 2 turns. The host dropped out a couple of times but the gam epicked up, until the last time. I was informed I was successfully transfered to a new host, but seemingly no other players were. Though visible on the map, they didn't exist in the game. And when I jumped off a cliff, I ended up walking around bottom of the gully instead of dying...

It'll be a good game when they sort out the bugs.

The disruptive weapons are the giant bomb and the chicken potion. If you could activate them at the right place, it will clear the area with some sacrifice.

I agree a group of priests can be devastating. I usually upgrade my classes in the following order:
Worker, priests, warrior, mage, and then ranger.

The host dropped out a couple of times but the gam epicked up, until the last time. I was informed I was successfully transfered to a new host, but seemingly no other players were. Though visible on the map, they didn't exist in the game. And when I jumped off a cliff, I ended up walking around bottom of the gully instead of dying...

It's the lag problem. The game couldn't connect to those players anymore (or may be you alone dropped out). Happened to me before the patch.

Have they fixed the game in EU yet ?

The disruptive weapons are the giant bomb and the chicken potion. If you could activate them at the right place, it will clear the area with some sacrifice.
According to the guide, it sounds like a trooper buffed with a priest shield could waltz in as a uicide bomb. The problem then would be how to activate the bomb while holding, but a small worker bomb (yours or theirs) should set it ticking.

I agree a group of priests can be devastating. I usually upgrade my classes in the following order:
Worker, priests, warrior, mage, and then ranger.
That seems the best to me so far, give or take. I think the workers are valuable upgraded for when they start to get attacked, although a problem I encountered was too many people donning the worker hat to gather resources, when the enemy just waltzed into tthe base.

Actually like all these games, the difference is very much a good or bad team. Just a bit of coordination versus none is almost guaranteed success.

Have they fixed the game in EU yet ?
Not yet.

I have not tried Priest Shield before. Well, may be someone casted it on me but I was not aware :)

Shifty Geezer said:
Actually like all these games, the difference is very much a good or bad team. Just a bit of coordination versus none is almost guaranteed success.

Yeah, can be frustrating for the losing team this way.

I saw tha_con and FatNinja (from GAF) in my game today. They are in the opposing team. Ha ha, it's good to see familiar faces in Fat Princess.

Yep. Patched to 1.02. I jumped straight in with no worries, no lag. Was a good game. I won for the Reds. :D T'was a tropical island level with the dark square castles at either side. We secured the central metal desposits early on, but stalemated with numerous head-ons. So I went exploring and found the cave that led to the side of the castle. I took a worker round, built a ladder/spring, jumped into the castle, grabbed the princess and legged it back the way I came. I was lucky a priest saw my plan and joined me.

Very satisfying.

*Nod* *nod*

I think the issue some people have is that there are only a handful of winners among 32 players. In your case, just two: The priest and yourself. The rest are stuck in endless skirmish and death loop. Many won't bother to look for alternate routes or strategies.

I have a hunch if the devs add custom upgrades and RPG attributes, then these people may be more happy since they gain something out of every game. Or they can try more tactics to overpower their opponents.

I hope the Asian patch can go live before weekend, because I can only play on weekend.

I have a hunch if the devs add custom upgrades and RPG attributes, then these people may be more happy since they gain something out of every game. Or they can try more tactics to overpower their opponents.
The downside to that would be longer players spending more time would have better characters. As it is, FP is nice in that you don't have to dedicate half your life to it to stay competitive. As long as they're willing and happy to clash in brutish mobs shunning strategy, there's no problem. Only if they get bored and move on is does that become an issue.

I do think over time the major strategies will be learnt but most though, and alternative routes into castles made.

Good point ! I play Fat Princess for its simplicity too.

If they were to add more depth and level-up mechanism, I think some sort of match making may be in order.

Asian patch was up yesterday, and I played a few games, but I didn't notice much difference though.

Wow, you're still getting disconnected ? I only had to retry a connection once since the patch. I got booted 3-4 times in the middle of a game (due to "bad" network) so far. Other than that, every "Join Game" worked for me.

May be Asia has too few FP players on weekends, therefore you're still hooked up to EU and US nodes ?

EDIT: Heck, if I'm in Taiwan. I'd never be home. There are too many 24 hour fun joints. Same for China and Hong Kong.

May be Asia has too few FP players on weekends, therefore you're still hooked up to EU and US nodes ?

Quite possible. Disconnection rate is lower, but at least I didn't get into "red snail" games anymore, although some games are still "yellow snail." But they are now quite playable.

Quite possible. Disconnection rate is lower, but at least I didn't get into "red snail" games anymore, although some games are still "yellow snail." But they are now quite playable.
Yellow snail is confusing. I got a yellow snail the other day - on a game I was hosting! It was a 10 player game and the original host dropped out leaving me to host, where my connection is ranked a little bit faster.

Back