PS3 to run at 120 fps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldo

Newcomer
Appearing at the Tokyo International Digital Conference on Thursday to talk about the technological capabilities of the PlayStation 3 and the Cell processor, Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi said he expects the PS3 to be capable of running games at a stunning 120 fps, according to a report in The Nikkei BP.
Never mind that even newer TVs aren't capable of refreshing the screen 120 times in a single second. Kutaragi said that when new technology comes to market, he hopes to have the PS3 ready to take advantage of it. - gamespot
More worthless hype? Heavenly Sword and others must have had no problem hitting 60 fps, I guess. <sarcasm>

-aldo

All GPU's can do 120 FPS. There is no limitation that would limit you to only 60FPS in every single possible case.

This is like bragging about the fact your car can exceed 60 MPH.

Makes you wonder why Ken even stated it. Or why I even bothered to post it. :D

It would have been more newsworthy if Ken was suggesting that developers are having no problem hitting or exceeding 60 fps, but this is almost another slap in the face for PS3 developers who are trying to meet Sony's extremely high expectations on next gen games and still reach and maintain 60fps.

-aldo

He probably ment PS2 games :mrgreen:

Anyways I wonder why he said that too.If its really true that the PS3 can push next gen games at 120fps I wonder why developers are targeting 60fps and in some occasions putting some effort to reach it.Could it be a beta kit problem? :???:

I think, just like Kutaragi has added provisions for 1080p, he also sees future standards at 120fps and he wants PS3 to be ready for it.

If anyone wants to have a go at translating the article themselves it's here:
http://arena.nikkeibp.co.jp/expo/news/20051028/114052/

babelfish said:
Consequently you talked as one of possibility of future technology what, is frame * rate of animated picture indication. 72 frames / the second - 90 frames / second of 50 fields / second - 60 fields / vis-a-vis second and the personal computer which the current television adopts, we assume with the PS3 with evolution of future image interface standard, as much as 120 frames / second et cetera the っ we would like to try to be able to forward the image of high frame * rate.

The fact that you bring up pertaining to frame * rate, is combination of image input and high-speed frame * rate. For example by the fact that the high-speed camera is connected, the PS3 analyzes the meaning of the image quickly, we assumed the possibility of developing into the new computer * kind of entertainment which inputs the result into the game is very large. Such combination suggested future possibility whether it is not to be used even in the boundary territory of broadcast and communication.

Babelfish implies aspirations to conform to a future 120fps standard but it's just a machine translation.

That's one of the stupidest things I've read in my life.

What's hilarious, is some people actually defend the comment. :LOL::LOL:

Talk about meaningless pie-in-the-sky hype.

scooby_dooby said:

I'm not defending it, I think it's hopelessly unrealistic to expect 120fps in next gen games. I was merely pointing out that Gamespot might have been a bit liberal in their interpretation of the NikkeiBP story.

Mmmkay said:
I think, just like Kutaragi has added provisions for 1080p, he also sees future standards at 120fps and he wants PS3 to be ready for it.

If anyone wants to have a go at translating the article themselves it's here:
http://arena.nikkeibp.co.jp/expo/news/20051028/114052/

Babelfish implies aspirations to conform to a future 120fps standard but it's just a machine translation.
I dont understand a thing from that translation but I ve got the impression that he didnt exactly mean 120fps for next gen games

scooby_dooby said:

You obviously are not understanding what he is trying to say. But I didn't expect you to either so...

While I think it's unlikely we'll actually see software running at 120fps, there's nothing technical that stops a TV from running at least 720P at that refresh rate provided it is hooked up via DVI/HDMI. It's easily within the interface's video bandwidth. It might even be possible to do via component (which is essentially VGA with encoded synch signals), seeing as 1080i is perfectly doable on that interface.

As for the comment about geometry... NONSENSE. Games simply aren't geometry limited and won't be even next generation. For starters, it'll be prohibitively expensive memory-wise to actually design art assets that'll push the vertex shaders to their limit. I'm 200% certain there wouldn't be ANY problem running a silly car game that has mostly fixed geometry ( = very simple transforms) at even faster framerates if there were no other bottlenecks in the system.

Kutaragi's fat mouth moves at 120 fps (fullofshit per second). Seriously, release more PS3 details or shut the hell up, Kenny.

Last edited by a moderator:
120 Fps is nonsense. This is just another attemp at kutagari trying to make PS3 sound like it's twice as powerful as xbox 360.

Nothing but bollocks.

If PS3 can drive two HDTVs @ 720p or above, I can't see why it shouldn't be able to do 120fps on a single screen.
Actually I would rather like to see how 120fps looks.
More than a few times I've noticed stroboscope effects, with fast movement and high contrast at the current 60fps.

Edit: Now that I think about it, maybe, just maybe, RSX can render "real" motionblur (aka temporal AA) internally, somewhat like multisample AA, with less bandwidth and none of the memory hit that the brute force approach has?
Maybe that could be what the 120fps means (because you still need to transform the geometry @ 120fps)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back