Ken "Crazy" Kutaragi is at it again!

Really? So inaccurate statements in a video that's obviously meant to be funny and not taken seriously is worse than inaccurate statements made in a journalist's interview?
Yes.

In an interview the interviewee hasn't planned out exactly what they're going to say and hasn't had time to make sure they get the correct presentation for their message (it's ad hoc and open to mistakes of the moment).

In a premastered piece they've had time to review it and make sure there's no mistakes in their presentation. The fact it's a funny piece doesn't detract from the message which was Sony have no intention of providing any services they talk about. As a company MS should appreciate that the best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft aglay. Rather than being open to the idea that Sony's network plans were thwarted by some problems or other, they present the view that Sony set out to begin with to just outright lie about intentions. In fact, one could argue that the humorous context was required to prevent a liable case! Propaganda in humour can be very effective, providing a covert delivery of your true message.

Note I'm not painting Sony here as a the lily-white do-gooders and MS as the evil ne'er-do-wells. They all have their own ways of tackling PR. MS are generally less subtle about it though.

Knock this shit off already, seriosly.

I have nothing against KK, he seems like a friendly chap especially from all the stories i read from E3 when playstation 2 was about to launch I believe.

that and he has a cute daughter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you elaborate on the selected quote? I don't get it.

well the wiki model involves providing tools for your users to basically fill out the info. but stuff like myspace works similary. you set up a format and people fill it. message boards work the same way. i think i just choose wiki because i like the word.

anyway, from what i've gathered some of ken's ideas seem to suggest an alternative to google earth. and he's also a fan of distributed networking. so i think what he's envisioned for a while is internet based around 3d navigation. and ideas like that have been around for a while but ken is in a position to impliment it. the only problem is bandwidth between PS3s. if that wasn't an issue each PS3 could be a server to some extent serving both online content to other PS3s and serving as hosts for games. leaving some control servers operated by sony to get sent enough information to make sure people can find servers. which would be considerably less than hosting the games themself. atleast for personal websites that don't get a super amount of hits this would be fine. so in effect that would be a whole new internet structured around sony's schema and populated and updated by PS3 owners. not really much of a benefit over the normal internet but still exclusive to PS3. all you've got to do is give people the tools and a place to put the product of their work and people just do stuff for free. stuff they can't do in their job. an advantage for sony is they can limit the file types allowed to PS3 compatible types.

but as i said bandwidth requirements might make it impossible.

Knock this shit off already, seriosly.

I have nothing against KK, he seems like a friendly chap especially from all the stories i read from E3 when playstation 2 was about to launch I believe.

that and he has a cute daughter.

oh, I guess you mean those stories that ps2 shortages are due to sadam hussein buying thousands of ps2's 'supercomputers' in order to launch a nuclear strike?

yeah, I remeber those, too

on another note, I you even vaguely believe that by ps4 there will be satellite feedback from your neiborhood over the playstation-internet and the graphics will be the graphics of your real environment, saving graphics developers a whole bunch of time and work,
then may I suggest that you try to catch up with that train called "reality"?

his daughter would make a nice catch though, so my wishes for best of luck to you. ;)
p.s. any piccies?

i'd only go as far as weather satelite feed back. so the weather would be accurate to where you were. but similar data is being used in the F1 game. this is the 4D he was talking about i think. easily copied tho. that and worlds that change over time as demoed with the landscape generation demo.

oh, I guess you mean those stories that ps2 shortages are due to sadam hussein buying thousands of ps2's 'supercomputers' in order to launch a nuclear strike?

yeah, I remeber those, too

I don't remember anyone from Sony ever claiming such a thing and the whole Saddam buying ps2 was reported by the Defence Intelligence Agency, but i would 't be surprised that your mind believes that DIA is in reality a secret branch of Sony.

on another note, I you even vaguely believe that by ps4 there will be satellite feedback from your neiborhood over the playstation-internet and the graphics will be the graphics of your real environment, saving graphics developers a whole bunch of time and work,
then may I suggest that you try to catch up with that train called "reality"?

eh... he has yet to speak about PS4.

kingken3pn.jpg

:)

Edit

And with stories i meant the ones where KK actually walked around E3 (I think it was ) and talked to people asking their opinions and stuff.

Yes.

In an interview the interviewee hasn't planned out exactly what they're going to say and hasn't had time to make sure they get the correct presentation for their message (it's ad hoc and open to mistakes of the moment).

In a premastered piece they've had time to review it and make sure there's no mistakes in their presentation. The fact it's a funny piece doesn't detract from the message which was Sony have no intention of providing any services they talk about. As a company MS should appreciate that the best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft aglay. Rather than being open to the idea that Sony's network plans were thwarted by some problems or other, they present the view that Sony set out to begin with to just outright lie about intentions. In fact, one could argue that the humorous context was required to prevent a liable case! Propaganda in humour can be very effective, providing a covert delivery of your true message.
We could turn this into a debate about the accuracy of the video, but that's less interesting than discussion of what is ethically worse:

1) An obviously biased source creating an obviously biased video with obviously biased world view
2) A reputable news source publishing biased statements made in an interview by a biased individual.

Honestly, if we break it down to the core, that is, that all media released from these companies is propaganda of some form (whether it be pre-canned videos or spur of the moment interviews). In this regards, I would call it a wash.

But I still think a funny video, given no pretense of non-bias or factual information, is perhaps harmless. Though I agree that there's possibly an insidious motive of using humour as a sweetener to help the medicine go down...

Does she have a brother?
Though I bet she's prerendered or at least photoshopped... as would be typical Sony PR.

Regarding discussion on Google Earth and MySpace, I think Second Life (secondlife.com) may be closer to Sony's dream:
* Users create the combined digital world
* Users fill combined world with their own creations (that other users can buy)
* Profitable (I think) and fast growing

P.S. How old is Ken's daughter ? :D

Honestly, if we break it down to the core, that is, that all media released from these companies is propaganda of some form (whether it be pre-canned videos or spur of the moment interviews).
Yeah, like I said they're all at it. IMO though there is a difference between methods. It's like one crook siddles up to people, wins their friendship, gets them involved with a little game and 'wins' $100 off them in a 'find the pea' game, and another crook walks up to someone, smacks them over the head and demands they hand over $100. Both are nicking money but in very different ways ;)

But I still think a funny video, given no pretense of non-bias or factual information, is perhaps harmless.
I won't count any PR as harmless. These marketting firms exist to encourage opinions, and all such productions where they've spent money are intended to promote a POV. I'm afraid I can't imagine MS roped in Mr. Trump and made this skit just for the fun of it with no ulterior message, and any knocking of Sony was just something they didn't notice they had scripted and acted.

Back