Kutaragi planning PS4 - will also work on PS5, PS6 as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199202196

Exclusive: Outgoing Sony exec Kutaragi already planning PS4

Yoshiko Hara
EE Times
(04/27/2007 12:30 PM EDT)

TOKYO — Playstation inventor Ken Kutaragi, who will retire as chairman and group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. on June 19, is already thinking ahead to Playstation 4 and beyond.

In an exclusive interview with EE Times, Kutaragi said: "As a matter of course, I have the vision of Playstation 4, 5 and 6, which will merge into the network."

Thursday's (April 26) announcement of Kutaragi's "graduation" from SCEI was widely viewed here and across the consumer electronics industry with surprise. Kutaragi said he proposed his resignation to Sony's board of directors on Thursday.

Kutaragi said he previously turned over to Sony's PS3 design team his vision for reducing costs along with design models extending about two years into the future. "Now I'm ready to start working with a much wider world," Kutaragi said.

The outgoing Sony executive said he will maintain an amicable relationship with Sony, but added that future projects will be largely independent of Sony.

From its inception, Kutaragi said he had a vision for the Playstation franchise. The roadmap that led to PS3 was always clear in his mind, he said. But when introduction of PS3 was delayed by a blue-violet laser shortage, "I could not talk about the next step. We've introduced PS3 in Europe, so now I can openly talk about" future plans, he said.

Creating a new world on the network is the next challenge Kutaragi has in mind, following the desgin and development of computer entertainment on the Playstation. "The design concept of the Cell processor is the network processor," he stressed. When the PS3 was introduced last year, Kutaragi said the network environment was not ready for a net-based game console.

"Now it has become possible, so why not enter?" he said.

Kutaragi to Work with Sony on PS4, 5, 6
Although he is moving on, the father of PlayStation will still be aiding the system's development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back